Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating problem

Options
  • 24-03-2006 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭

I have a Firebird Popular boiler and have noticed the Kero consumption has risen over the past few months. Looking back over bills, in Feb 05 I put in 500 Litres which lasted until November 05, when I put in another 500. This ran out in Jan 06, so I put in another 500. This is about to run out. Does this seem like excessive consuption, the temp is set to 60 degress, the consumption seems to have doubled in the past year. The heating is only used in the evening. Would a boiler service help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

xabi wrote:
    I have a Firebird Popular boiler and have noticed the Kero consumption has risen over the past few months. Looking back over bills, in Feb 05 I put in 500 Litres which lasted until November 05, when I put in another 500. This ran out in Jan 06, so I put in another 500. This is about to run out. Does this seem like excessive consuption, the temp is set to 60 degress, the consumption seems to have doubled in the past year. The heating is only used in the evening. Would a boiler service help?
    A kero boiler does not build up as much deposit as a diesel one, but it should be serviced once a year. If it is a few years since it was serviced, it will certainly make a difference. The dirt lines the sides of the boiler and stops the heat getting out to the water which runs through the hollow walls. Also the flame may need to be adjusted.
    Having said all that, you are talking about the coldest few months we have had for years, so you will naturally have used more oil than usual. If at all possible get at least 1000 litres of oil when you top up - you will save about 50 or 60 euros. The price per litre goes up the less oil you order :eek:

Advertisement