Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want yew, I want yew, I want yew, sooo bad

Options
  • 24-03-2006 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

As the title suggests, I'm looking for some yew, I think it's a very nice wood and would like to get as much of it as possible. I urgently need a slice of a log with the bark still on it about 150mm diameter and it only needs to be about 40 or 50 mm thick, with no cracks. Would like to get my hands on that piece asap for college but I'd also like to know where abouts I could get yew in the futue too?

This is what I'm looking for at the moment anyway:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hi Cormie,

I've got some yew logs, they're only about 100-120mm in diameter, not quite as big as you need, but you're welcome to a slice or two if you want.

I got my stuff from Brain Walsh in Ashford, you know him, I think? I know for a fact he's got a shed full of yew branches he's wanting to get rid off, but I don't know how much of it might be of the size you need.

By the way, how's the woodturning coming along? Is the shed all kitted out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi Alun,
    Thanks for the speedy reply. I'm almost finished setting up the shed for woodturning, I know, it's taking ages, but I'm really busy with college and would prefer to have time and no other pressures when I'm out turning in the shed.

Yup, I've spoken to Brian before, it's Brian from woodcraft yeah? Link. If he can't sort me out, I may take you up on that offer. I still haven't forgotten about that book and video you gave me, the book is actually in the library in College so I can give them both back to you any time:) I'll let you know what Brian says anyway.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yep that's the Brian I'm talking about. Don't worry about the book and video ... just get them back to me when you can.

BTW, I'm looking into doing a spot of carving myself, decorating some of my turnings, thinking especially of celtic knot type patterns on rims of bowls etc., so I might be the one asking you for some advice soon :)

Just off the phone to Brian there, he wont be up in Ashford until some time next week and all the logs of yew are down in Wexford now:( Are you at home now Alun? Any chance I could get two slices of the 120mm diameter log you have:o I can drop the book and video up too, in a bit of a rush to get this done for college, gonna come straight back down to work on it if I get it too:D

I'm not sure if I'd be any good at giving advice re carving, just sharpen your chisels and take it slowly:)

Got a slice off Alun, thanks again:)

For anyone else who wants to know, Brian, mentioned above has a good bit of ywe which has been drying out for quite a number of years, it's in his Wexford warehouse but he is in Ashford quite a lot too:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement