Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A Very Silly Question

Options
  • 24-03-2006 3:12pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

ok
    having bought a new bike in the past, I know that you have to take it very slow for the first 1000 miles or so...

does this also apply for a new car? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Not really, just dont redline it in every gear. Keep the revs within a reasonable range and it will be fine.
    The only time to go slow in a car is in the first 10-15 mins on cold startup, no matter how old the car is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Simple answer: Yes. Each manufacturer has their guidelines, generally involving no heavy acceleration or braking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

As a general rule, no.

If I remember right, you recently bought a 1.2(ish) Peugeot 107??? It should be okay, but if you want to be cautious, keep it under 3500rpm for a while.

Some large capacity engines, V6's etc, do require that you keep the RPM down for up to 5000 miles in some cases.

But doctors differ, and patients die. So some mechanics will tell you not to rag it, and others will say don;t worry about it!

Similarly, you should never push the engine to hard until it is up to temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Only some manufacturers recommend this nowadays. However, I'd be inclined to take it easy for the first 5000kms or so just to be sure. Right up to the time of the first service you should regularly check the engine oil level as some new engines (especially diesels) use a bit oil in the first 15,000kms or so. VWs especially. It usually settles down after the first service or thereabouts.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

thanks for that lads

ya prospect
    it's a 1.0 Peugeot 107, collecting it tomorrow :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The information should be in the owners manual under "running in".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Well, congratulations.

To be sure, ask the salesperson if there is any restrictions.
    But always allow the engine to warm up before you do any hard driving.

Best of luck with the new motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

prospect wrote:
    Well, congratulations.

To be sure, ask the salesperson if there is any restrictions.
    But always allow the engine to warm up before you do any hard driving.

Best of luck with the new motor.

When you are driving, but don't leave the engine running without moving away straight away on a cold morning..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Kersh wrote:
    Not really, just dont redline it in every gear. Keep the revs within a reasonable range and it will be fine.
    The only time to go slow in a car is in the first 10-15 mins on cold startup, no matter how old the car is.

This is spot on. Modern engines don't require the "break in" period anymore, the manufacturing process has improved a lot from those days.

As said above, always take it easy when driving with a cold engine. To give you my guide, I NEVER go above 3000rpm until my engine is fully warmed up, and the temp gauge is exactly half way up.

Once the engine is fully warm, and the oil is operating at optimum performance, then you can drive as hard as you like (within reason) with an engine new or old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

When you are driving, but don't leave the engine running without moving away straight away on a cold morning..

Why?

Did this countless times last winter while scraping the windows free of ice outside, often needed the air con full blast on not only to warm the cabin but to melt the ice on the inside of the windscreen too.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Apart from the unnecessary pollution it causes there is also a significant build up of condensation when an engine when it is cold. Water is not a friend to your engine - it mixes with the oil and degrades the oil which accelerates wear and makes a mess of the service interval. Use de-icer and warm-ish water - not boiling - and turn your wipers on straight away to prevent the water freezing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In the old days a car had to go through the 1000 mile oil change as the engine was still full of metal shavings! I dunno how true this still is though as I never buy new.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    In the old days a car had to go through the 1000 mile oil change as the engine was still full of metal shavings! I dunno how true this still is though as I never buy new.

Mike.
    Most engines are "bench run" nowadays. So metal shavings are removed at the manufacturing stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what are the service intervals on the 107. are they long Peugeot intervals or Toyota style 15,000 km intervals?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

colm_mcm wrote:
    what are the service intervals on the 107. are they long Peugeot intervals or Toyota style 15,000 km intervals?
    Well it's 30,000 km on my 206, or every 2 years, whichever is closer.

From brand new, the first service was 10,000 km or 6 months. I'd assume the 107 is the same.

I'm just wondering as the 107 has a toyota engine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

mrbungle wrote:
    That is interesting. Do you think it could be true?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I dunno, a friend of mine had brand new colt that the drove flat out and it was always having problems with it. Could have been a lemon of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

It seems popular opinion that a car ran hard from the start would out perform a mollycoddled one, but the later would last longer.

So if your buying it to keep, take it easy otherwise give it sox :)

I base this on what I have read, not on my personal experience though.

• Advertisement

WIth the 107 i wouldn't say it'll make any difference what way it's run in. It's not exactly a performance car, the only way I can see the driving style affecting the engine is if you do lots of short journeys and never give the engine a chance to warm up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I'd say thats only a problem if you rev the nuts off it before it heats up.

That page about breaking in engines is aimed at racers and people who install and maintain their own bikes.

So If your car blows up after you do something entirly different to what the owners manual tells you, don't be surprised if your garage sticks you with a bill for a new engine.

an engine for a 107 is very cheap apparently. cheapest availible, very few parts

Advertisement