Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental Income and the taxman

Options
  • 24-03-2006 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi,

I’m looking for a bit of advice on this one. I have a property rented out since last October it is registered with the PRTB and a property management company looks after it. I'm just wondering what exactly I should do in terms of getting the tax sorted on the rental income. Does anyone know if you are registered with the PRTB will the revenue automatically get in touch with you or if you have to file a return? If your tenant does not claim rent relief will the revenue be aware of you renting out the property? Thanks for any advice offered in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If you have registered with the PRTB, you are basically declaring your intent to pay rental income.

Register with the revenue online www.ros.ie and at the end of October each year, file a return for the previous year.

Chances are, for the first few years, you'll pay no tax as your expenses/capital expenses & interest will exceed your rental income. It is in my case anyway.

Advertisement