Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf part enquiry

Options
  • 24-03-2006 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I have a 2000 Golf comfortline with an armrest in the front. My father occasionally uses the car and hates having the armrest down and so lifts it up out of the way. Unfortunately on one such occasion a while back he caught the lid only and not the full armrest and broke the hinges. Now the lid is completely detached and it's really annoying.

What I'm wondering is
    1) Is it possible to get just the lid? If so how do I put it on (I took the armrest out of the car one day and tried to put it back on with the hinges glued back on but I couldn't find any way to remove the lining of the compartment - even after taking out the "hidden" torque screws in the bottom)?
    2) Can anyone recommend somewhere to get it (I have a call into Belgard motors for a price on a new one so don't recommend a VW dealer)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

TKK wrote:
    2) Can anyone recommend somewhere to get it (I have a call into Belgard motors for a price on a new one so don't recommend a VW dealer)?
    Another option is to try a breakers yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

That's sorta what I was after. Anyone know any good ones?

Try Duffy's on the Long Mile Road or Kinsella's opposite the Red Cow pub. Look up the Golden Pages under Car Dismantlers for more choice.

Another idea - call Blaggard Motors again and ask them to fax you the illustration from their ETKA (parts catalog) so you can identify the parts you actually need. It basically is an exploded view of the armrest. Ask for Michelle or Debbie in parts - they can be quite helpful.

Cool. I'm only in Dublin since last year and don't know the reputation of any of the car dismantlers.

Belgard just sent me a text to say they've had to send an email with a price request. They only mentioned the lid so I'm assuming there's a way to change it. Time for some more investigation methinks.

That exploded view could be helpful in that regard too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

TKK wrote:
    Cool. I'm only in Dublin since last year and don't know the reputation of any of the car dismantlers.
    You're havin a laugh aren't ya?

Reputation & Car dismatlers do not belong in the same sentence.

If you do go to Duffy's be warned - do not haggle - ignore this at your peril!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Belgard told me they werent allowed to give part numbers out so i seriously doubt they will fax u a exploded diagram, i hope im wrong though. my advice try on uk-mkivs.net
    theres a vw parts guy there called dsgwagen, he also has an ebay shop selling vw parts under the same name. pm him, hel sort u out

I think if you approach Belgard the right way you will get the diagram as it doesn't have part numbers on it - just reference numbers and the exploded view.

See attached - I had to reduce its size so hopefully you can see it ok. While it's not what your looking for it shows that they will give you the print out.

crosstownk wrote:
    If you do go to Duffy's be warned - do not haggle - ignore this at your peril!
    I'm intrigued. Why?

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote:
    You're havin a laugh aren't ya?

Reputation & Car dismatlers do not belong in the same sentence.
    Ah now, some are bound to be easier to deal with/have a better selection than others. That's what I meant.

I went on one occasion with a friend who was looking for a wing for some pile of junk he was repairing. Scrapman came out with a sledge hammer. My mate asks how much for the wing. He is told IR£50. My mate offers IR£30. Scrapman lifts sledge up as high as he can and drops it to the ground missing my mates foot by about 2 inches and says "its fifty quid ok?" We left briskly. I have heard quite a few similar stories from others. Its one way of getting rid of the hagglers. It was quite a few years ago - maybe its different now......

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Why not just go into your local VW dealer and ask them how much a new lid is?

colm_mcm wrote:
    Why not just go into your local VW dealer and ask them how much a new lid is?
    I did. See my first post.

Anyway Belgard got back to me - E68 + vat for the lid. They're having a bit of a laugh I reckon. I've seen complete armrests for less than that. I'm gonna have to try find time to get to the breakers.

Turns out neither of the mentioned breakers have the part.

You should try some NI or UK breakers. eBay may have something on www.ebay.de It's worth a go but tbh I'd pay €68 for it. I used to sell VW parts 10 years ago and €68 sounds reasonable in a typical VW sort of way. When I worked there some customers wanted to retro fit the arm rests and I remember the total parts price coming to more than IR£350.

If you looking for a totally honest parts price ring The Foster Motor Co. in Sandyford and ask for Martin O'Hanlon in the parts dept. He is undoubtedly the best VW partsman in Ireland.

I kinda figured it to be a "normal" VW price alright. It's closer to E83 (why does the Euro symbol cause my posts to go completely haywire?) when vat @ 21% is added though.

I've checked ebay and haven't come up with anything. Any hits I get seem to be complete non-original arm rests.

I've contacted an ebay seller through the ukmkivs forums to get a price off him too.

At the end of the day I'll pay the money if it comes down to it but I'm gonna explore my options first.

I can get this part delivered from an ebay seller for E57. Now what does that tell you about the price of parts here?

TKK wrote:
    I can get this part delivered from an ebay seller for E57. Now what does that tell you about the price of parts here?
    Is it a new or second hand part? If your buying it from an EU country the VAT will most likely be less than our 21% rip off.

It's a new part. At that price it's over E11 cheaper than the ex vat price that Belgard want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement