Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afghan court to execute man for converting to Christianity.

Options
  • 24-03-2006 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭

Oh dear.
    Reuters wrote:
    ROME (Reuters) - Western political leaders and the media have reacted with mounting indignation to the news that a Kabul court threatened to impose the death sentence on an Afghan man who abandoned Islam and coverted to Christianity.

Hard to believe these are the same characters that were rioting and burning embassies a few months ago to teach us a lesson about tolerance? (read: Western people in Western countries refusing to adhere to Islamic laW)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

Another leading figure, Charles Colson, said: "If we can't guarantee fundamental religious freedoms in the countries where we establish democratic reforms, then the whole credibility of our foreign policy is thrown into serious question."
    You can't change a society overnight by removing some dispotic leaders.

I think you could have been more specific and said Afghans in your thread heading. It is unfair becasue, although this is shocking, it would be much more so if it happened in a country like Turkey.

Also many of the 'Characters' who were peacefully protesting against the cartoons, as most were, would certainly find this interpretation of the koran highly objectional.

Islam is not some uniform thing, where everybody believes the same religious beliefs and has the same opinions on things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

rephrase that to KABUL to execute man for converting to Christianity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Placebo wrote:

What?
    A CITY is executing people?

Or are you upset that the leadership in that city are musilm? Maybe they are not muslim? Now thats news!
    "Non muslim leaders in Kabul condemn a man to death for converting from Islam to Christainity"

Mind you if a Christian converted to Islam in a Christian country it would be news if the Christian government condemned him to death!

The difference is that in a democracy the government is in power in spite of any religious beliefs (or lack of them) and not because of them (though one might well tell Bush that :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Placebo wrote:

I agree the title suggests that all muslims have a hand in this

I would suggest

Kabul Court threatens to execute man for converting to Christianity

As a more accurate title

Lets go with ~...Afghan court...~

This is shariah law isnt it?

Only a small percentage of muslims follow sharia law,though that includes a few countries that you wouldnt exactly call democracies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yeah, the thread was badly titled. I see the mods changed it :) thanks

ISAW wrote:
    What?
    A CITY is executing people?

Or are you upset that the leadership in that city are musilm? Maybe they are not muslim? Now thats news!
    "Non muslim leaders in Kabul condemn a man to death for converting from Islam to Christainity"

Mind you if a Christian converted to Islam in a Christian country it would be news if the Christian government condemned him to death!

The difference is that in a democracy the government is in power in spite of any religious beliefs (or lack of them) and not because of them (though one might well tell Bush that :) ).

it sounded like muslims all over the world had a hand in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Placebo wrote:
    it sounded like muslims all over the world had a hand in this.

Where are you getting that from? How do the nice bloke who runs my corner shop have "a hand in this"?

Freelancer wrote:
    Where are you getting that from? How do the nice bloke who runs my corner shop have "a hand in this"?

the original title was
    Muslims to execute man for converting to Christianity.or something along those lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Ah sorry for the confusion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

He won't be executed he is going to be acquitted on the grounds of insantity.

MM

Now that we all agree on the title, and that it was not intended to tar all muslims with the one brush.

The real issue here is

"If we can't guarantee fundamental religious freedoms in the countries where we establish democratic reforms, then the whole credibility of our foreign policy is thrown into serious question."

Most reasonable commentators would see the WAR ON IRAQ as a failure, including the majority of the american public. Was the war in Afghanistan also a failure?

samb wrote:
    Now that we all agree on the title, and that it was not intended to tar all muslims with the one brush.

I don't agree the purpose of the title was to tar all muslims with one brush.

The war in Iraq is not over would you have called on Britain to surrender at Dunkirk, Or France to surrender at Verdun?

MM

I don't agree the purpose of the title was to tar all muslims with one brush.

Well SeanW the original poster has said;
    Yeah, the thread was badly titled. I see the mods changed it thanks

The war in Iraq is not over would you have called on Britain to surrender at Dunkirk, Or France to surrender at Verdun?

When I said failure, I didn't mean that they have lost or will lose. What I mean is that IMO and the majority of Americans, http://www.heartheissues.com/americanson-iraq9-g.html the venture in Iraq was a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Earthman wrote:
    Lets go with ~...Afghan court...~

Yea...

What is new in this is that it is happening in the Capital. After the US *liberated* the locals from the Taliban it has been more or less business as usual in the rest of Afganistan with regards to the middle ages type laws, except the capital city which is made to look more Western.

This just seems to put the "mental" in fundamentalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Well, they've apparently decided they're gonna drop charges.

Does that put the "fun" back into fundamentalist?

jc

Interesting to see that it is a real legal system where evidence is required, cases have to be proved and you can get off for insanity.

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Sherlock

If they hadn't found him to be insane I assume they would have executed him for converting from Islam?

Sherlock wrote:
    If they hadn't found him to be insane I assume they would have executed him for converting from Islam?
    There were other problems with the prosecutors case; for example he was a refugee in Pakistan for many years and might have converted there. The court was unsure of its jurisdiction.

There were problems related to the nature of apostasy, and whether or not it was apostasy to convert to Christianity, it is a crime under Moslem religious law to convert from Islam to another religion and the crime must carry the death sentence,

MM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Well good for him, I hope he enjoys a long and free life in his new home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

What's the problem?

Up to recently people were being murdered in this country because of the their religion. Extra judicial killings I think is a PC word for it.

60 years ago Europeans were exterminating other Europeans because of their religion.

100's of years ago we had the Spanish Inquisition ...

At least the chap in Kabul got a court hearing ...

There are many wrong things done in the name of religion. A lot of what we see as the 'terror of islam' has almost got to hysterical proportions. I find it ironic that we fear this religion and the fundamental elements that tag along with it when years ago the Christian religions were doing almost exactly the same thing in the past. However, why Islam is a "force" to be reckoned with is that in the West we have almost no values (other than greed and we no what we don't want) and any values we have been watered down by being 'poltically correct' whereas those of an Islamic persuasion seem to be very focused and principled. There is a whole new thread to start on this topic but I do get a laugh out of people who have that signature with "no to the burkha, I support the DAnes freedom of speech". if only they understood and it could be that simple.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BrianD wrote:
    Up to recently people were being murdered in this country because of the their religion. Extra judicial killings I think is a PC word for it.
    There were many more reasons for that, not just their respective religions. The religion just reinforced tribal lines.
    60 years ago Europeans were exterminating other Europeans because of their religion.
    Nowhere in the European, christian religious texts does it state that apostates from said faith are to be executed, or those of other faiths are to be killed. The Islamic texts are well stocked with such instructions by comparison.
    100's of years ago we had the Spanish Inquisition...
    Exactly, 100's of years ago and the pope at the time reckoned it was largely a ploy to confiscate the property of heretics and jews for the state. Nice little earner all round. The other Inquisitions where set up to try to stop state interference in religious matters. In any case, as I've pointed out there are no instructions in law to kill apostates. Not the case in Islamic law.

There are many wrong things done in the name of religion. A lot of what we see as the 'terror of islam' has almost got to hysterical proportions.
    Agreed
    I find it ironic that we fear this religion and the fundamental elements that tag along with it when years ago the Christian religions were doing almost exactly the same thing in the past.
    In the past, we burnt witches and thought the earth was the centre of the universe. Times changed. To judge us by our past is hardly relevant, when that past is very largely gone, certainly with regard to the break between religion and the state.
    However, why Islam is a "force" to be reckoned with is that in the West we have almost no values
    I wouldn't agree there. Another thread beckons though.
    whereas those of an Islamic persuasion seem to be very focused and principled.
    Very true.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

BrianD wrote:
    I find it ironic that we fear this religion and the fundamental elements that tag along with it when years ago the Christian religions were doing almost exactly the same thing in the past.

The past is the past. A few thousand years ago we were eating eachother and living in caves. Should we advocate that behaviour now too? Moving on from the past is what makes us (the human race) stronger, more advanced and have a better standard of living. You can't use the past as excuse. Germany used to be run by Nazi's, but I don't see them excusing atrocities around the world by simply putting it down to "ah I suppose Hitler used to do it here too".
    BrianD wrote:
    However, why Islam is a "force" to be reckoned with is that in the West we have almost no values (other than greed and we no what we don't want) and any values we have been watered down by being 'poltically correct' whereas those of an Islamic persuasion seem to be very focused and principled.

It's that focused and principled mentality that makes them follow thier faith so blindly. That's the problem really. With such a mentality, tolerance, change and development becomes almost non-existant. This of course leads to the simple fact that there are fundamental incompatibilities between hardline Islamic nations and those of a more open, tolerant, progressive nature.

I was wrong about Sharia being a real legal system. The man was let go because of political interference, the evidentiary issues were a smokescreen.

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

However, why Islam is a "force" to be reckoned with is that in the West we have almost no values (other than greed and we no what we don't want) and any values we have been watered down by being 'poltically correct' whereas those of an Islamic persuasion seem to be very focused and principled.
    I dislike the inferrence that, just because I don't blindly follow some ancient text that I have no values. And as for the politically correct bit - are you saying that, for example, accepting that other people follow a faith differing from our own is wrong??

mloc wrote:
    The past is the past. A few thousand years ago we were eating eachother and living in caves. Should we advocate that behaviour now too? Moving on from the past is what makes us (the human race) stronger, more advanced and have a better standard of living. You can't use the past as excuse. Germany used to be run by Nazi's, but I don't see them excusing atrocities around the world by simply putting it down to "ah I suppose Hitler used to do it here too".

It's that focused and principled mentality that makes them follow thier faith so blindly. That's the problem really. With such a mentality, tolerance, change and development becomes almost non-existant. This of course leads to the simple fact that there are fundamental incompatibilities between hardline Islamic nations and those of a more open, tolerant, progressive nature.

It's history repeating itself except the cycles are getting shorter due to technology and mass communication. Human kind will continue to use religion to persecute his fellow man. It may be 1000's of years since we left the caves but we continually do this in 'the name of God'.

Furthermore, you are tarring all followers of Islam faith with the same brush. Generally, they are focused and principled but it is wrong to say blindly. Furthermore, as with the past it is the extremist minority who cause the terror.

Of course there are other issues that come into play. Just like Nationalists in Northern Ireland are generally Catholic and vice-versa for Loyalists, what religion is most widespread in the developing and underdeveloped world? Islam. Perhaps, religion is just an identifying tag for the billions of poor in the world who subsidise the wealth of the first world that we call "more open, tolerant, progressive nature".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

BrianD wrote:
    I don't think you get it. It's history repeating itself except the cycles are getting shorter due to technology and mass communications. Human kind will continue to use religion to persecute his fellow man. It may be 100'0's of years since we left the caves but we continually do this.

So are you saying we should just accept this and not do anything about it?
    BrianD wrote:
    Furthermore, you are tarring all followers of Islam faith with the same brush. Generally, they are focused and principled but it is wrong to say blindly. Furthermore, as with the past it is the extremist minority who cause the terror.

I believe I used to word hardline. Just like in any religion there is of course a spectrum of extremism.
    BrianD wrote:
    Of course there are other issues that come into play. Just like NAtionalists in Northern Ireland are generally Catholic and vice-versa for Loyalists, what religion is most widespread in the developing and underdeveloped world? Islam. Perhaps, religion is just an identifying tag for the billions of poor in the world who subsidise the wealth of the first world that we call "more open, tolerant, progressive nature".

Rather us than them mate.

• Advertisement

Boggle wrote:
    I dislike the inferrence that, just because I don't blindly follow some ancient text that I have no values. And as for the politically correct bit - are you saying that, for example, accepting that other people follow a faith differing from our own is wrong??

Well I generally believe that the "western world" is pretty bereft of morals and values ... apart from the ones that are convenient. Religion is the opium of the poor and we in the affluent world don't need an opiate to relieve of us the misery of poverty. Muslims don't blindly follow some ancient text anymore than any other organised religion does (or is supposed to!). I have never read the Koran but I hear differing information as to what it contains - one poster here states that it contains violent references other say that the use of violence is a mis-interpretation of what is stated. Plenty of unsavoury references in the moden day Christian bible as well.

And I really don't understand where you got the last line from. I'm all for everyone practicing their own religion and accepting the religious ethos of the majority of the country where you reside.

Anyway, as stated previously, in my opinion religion is just a convenient tag to place on a larger problem of poverty and injustice. With modern mass communications the disadvantaged world can see how good we have it at their expense.

Advertisement