Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overlay one image on top of another

Options
  • 24-03-2006 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I recently completed a website for an estate agents. As part of the requirement they wanted a Sale Agreed watermark to appear over the picture of the property if a Sold checkbox was ticked in the CMS.

I accomplished this by having the property image as the background-image style of a div and the SaleAgreed image would then be the in an img tag inside the div. This worked fine and there was no issues until....

...today when I recieved a phone call from the estate agents saying that when clients printed out a page from the site the image was invisible. This is resonable enough as most browsers will not print out background images/colours by default but was overlooked on my part when desgning the site.

My problem is now that I cant figure out a way to get 2 images on a site to overlap one another without using one as a background image. I tried enclosing the second image in a div and setting the style to something like <div style="position:relative;top:-250:"> this will move the second image up over the first one but it still leaves a big space where the image should be. Any Ideas on how to achieve this.

thanks
    J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Could you have 2 images of every house? The first would be without sale agreed on it and the other would be with the sale agreed text - so when the tick box is picked the image changes to the sale agreed text version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

did you try floating divs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

It's actually a lot more simple than it seems. If the image is contained within a div or a table cell, all you need to do is place a div inside the container, position it absolutely and insert an image into the absolutely positioned div.

I have made a page to show you how it works. I have used text and given the div a width but all you need to do is add an image. This works in IE5.01+ and the latest FireFox and Opera so there should be no compatibility concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Very nice Serbian - mind if I adapt this for a site I'm working on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

squibs wrote:
    Very nice Serbian - mind if I adapt this for a site I'm working on?

Of course, it's not copyrighted or anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Of course, it's not copyrighted or anything!

Much obliged - that idea has gotten me out of a hole.

Advertisement