Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

superman is evil

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

blu_sonic wrote:
    DC. poorly written characters depending on action and super powers etc.
    Marvel. characters that are well rounded and fairly well devoloped
    Yeah... Marvel had some great storylines with Spider-man.

Have a look at this one

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Haha..

Have a look at this one

Superman is rubish at maths... see? he's not smart at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭plenderj

um 3840 beans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

plenderj wrote:
    um 3840 beans?

3200. 2lbs for the jar! You ain't getting into the justice league with that kind of aritmetic.

Ahh yeah I forgot about the jar... and to think - I teach software development lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Catullus wrote:
    I have to say I always had difficulties with superman. when you think about it he's pretty evil.
    He's only evil when comes into contact with red krytonite...
    If he's capable of moving faster than a speeding bullet then it only stands to reason he can think at the same speed.
    What is that suppose to mean? He can think at 1000 feet a second or whatever caliber bullet you want to use? Sprinters are of course the most intellectual people in the world. Think I can ignore the next 2 paragraphs
    No. All he did was stay in this one little town and chase this bit of skirt while working as a journalist. Sickening.
    You're assuming he can single handedly police the entire world and just because he has super powers then it's his duty to police the world instead of the city he lives in? That's probably against his all american sense of freedom. Plus isn't the new justice league with their space station HQ orbiting earth basically superman recruiting all the other superheroes together to police the world?

ps: errrm, no, never read a DC or Marvel comic in my life. I just watch a lot of cartoons :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Yeah... Marvel had some great storylines with Spider-man.

Have a look at this one
    see great writing who'd tackle a subject like that? but seriously Marvel now are far better than DC. That was silver age those comics are like that DC included, you should seen golden and platinum age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Pappa Spank! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

moved to comics.... where it should have been posted in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

ha ha ha look at the cows lick class

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NikNik

joejoem wrote:
    Now I know what you had pictured me wearing....
    As i said, you wouldn't be winking :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

NikNik wrote:
    As i said, you wouldn't be winking :p

In your own words :eek:

You have a dirty mind.

On a side note..... Cavegirl

I think I better stop now :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

So if superman had super speed, then his brain would work super fast because it was part of his body (I'm not saying this well), so he would think super fast. How does he control the speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Flashling wrote:
    So if superman had super speed, then his brain would work super fast because it was part of his body (I'm not saying this well), so he would think super fast. How does he control the speed?

.....with a big stick? :confused::D:p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

This thread doesn't really seem to be going anywhere of any interest. If anyone wants to discuss superman's merits and so forth, feel free to do so provided you're not just repeating the same points over and over.

(Though I feel personally compelled to say that : a) the guys who invented him would know best and aren't around to ask anymore, and more pertinently b) he's a fictional character).

Also, no more off-topicness please. Discussing people's dirty minds may well be entertaining, but AH is more likely to be the place for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭nohshow

I think it's about time somebody stood up for the rights of us fictional characters. Yes, Supes is fiction and proud of it.

Super speed, not necessarily super brainy. Super reflexes, thoough, so he can probably jump to a wrong conclusion pretty quickly. You can see him as Othello, in that case, should Lois ever leave her hanky in the wrong pocket.

The thing that actually bugs me about him, though, is that everything has been said about him that needs to be said. Is he evil? No. He's been raised with humans with human attitudes, so he's no more evil than most of us. Does he waste himself as a resource? Well of course he does, for the very reason already given. But for him, the wastage is way counter-balanced by the usefulness. He's saved lives, as any of us would, that mean something to him. He hasn't undone the evils of history because, as Marlon told him, "You are forbidden to tamper with time" or whatever it was he was saying - he mumbled so I might have misheard.

But besides this parental edict, there is the nature of spacetime itself that would ultimately have scuppered any such misguided attempt. The conservation of heat, mass, energy, all that, would have left a different six million people dying in a different holocaust, or a different WWII with a different socio-political outcome that would still have resulted in a small losing country producing all the transistor radios while the moderately large loser went on to make the world's finest automobiles. Hitler would have been a comedy actor while Charlie Chaplin would have tried to invade Poland (a state in South Carolina I believe). Tsunamis? Try stopping the forces of nature. They just go somewhere else. Earthquakes? You mean, when the planet settles down? You'd prefer maybe if it continued to quake over months and months rather than get it all over with in one day.

You know, thinking it over, I wonder if maybe even God would think twice before he started making massive changes on a world-wide scale. So, if it'd be a tough choice for God, I think I'd be prepared to cut Supes a little slack.

Yo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Abby D Cody

I think it was Jim Steranko who said that if Superman didn't exist, we'd have to invent him. I think this proves he doesn't exist . . . because we invented him . . . you see?

I think Zarathustra would have something to say about that!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You know, if this manages to turn into a philosophical discussion about superman from the Nietzschean perspective (ie DC's superman versus the ubermensch idea) I'm going to feel really silly splitting that part of the thread off into the philosophy forum....

I've never been particularly interested in Superman as a character myself, although I did enjoy Millar's Red Son, chiefly because of the way Superman eventually came to believe that the ends justify the means. Although that was an Elseworlds story so shouldn't really be used to justify either side of the argument, really.

Assuming anyone's still interested in the debate : what are your arguments for or against the case of superman being evil? (Hopefully this won't devolve into the "vigilantes : terrorists or champions of the people's justice" debate or we'll be here for months...)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

As was stated before, Superman is no more evil than the rest of us. He was raised on Earth by human parents and taught their morals and values, he is therefore subject to human thought processes and defines his own morality through those learned values. Superman makes his own choices on waht he chooses to do with his powers and how far he chooses to take them. He's taken a vow never to kill and values human life above everything. It would be easy for him to set himself up as a dictator and change the world as he sees fit but he also sees part of being human as the right to make errors and learn from them. He steps in every now and then to remove a particular threat but he isn't here to babysit humanity. One of the best accounts of what make Superman Superman was in Action Comics 775 published a couple of years ago.

As for Frank Miller, The Dark Knight Strikes Again proved just how clueless he is about the character and that was perhaps the biggest of the many, many flaws of that series.

As was noted in Kill Bill, Superman isn't just a disguise for Clark Kent, it's who he is. Even if he had no superpowers Clark would probably have become a doctor or fireman or done whatever was in his power to help other people. Batman is in the same mould. Bruce Wayne is a disguise Batman uses to hide his identity and fund his career. If Bruce's parents hadn't died he probably would have become a doctor like his father. In fact, Bruce also still adheres to the morals and values his parents gave him. Sure he's practically a psychopath and is only different to his enemies by the side of the law he's on, but in his own twisted way he still hold true to certain core values.
    Spider-man on the other hand is Peter Parker's disguise. Peter Parker's initial reaction to gaining powers was to use them for his own gain and make money wrestling with them. He only turns to helping people out of guilt when his Uncle Ben dies, and it's that guilt that makes him continue. Several times he's thought of quitting and usually only continues because he wants to relieve his assumed guilt. In fact the poor alien symbiote that came to Earth and bonded with Parker was forever altered into the evil psycopath Venom after Parker rejected it.

So is Superman evil? No. Is Spider-man evil? No, but he is a selfish P****

• Advertisement
Advertisement