Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck on what Projector, if any, to get

• 24-03-2006 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all. I've read over some old threads on possible projectors, or projector related questions, and your answers where all very knowledgeable and helped me look up some projectors. I've not yet convinced the missus of how necessary this acquisition is but I'm sure I can convince here eventually :D My main use for them would be DVD's, Xbox/Xbox 360 and PC.

My max budget is really only about €1000 but I might be able to go a little higher if I need to. Basically, I've four in mind, two probables and two hopefuls. The hopefuls are a little out of budget though.

The two probables are HITACHI PJ-TX100 and the Infocus ScreenPlay 500. They seem decent enough and was wondering what your thoughts on them are.

The hopefuls are the PANASONIC PT-AE900 and the SANYO PLV-Z4 but at around ~1500, they're a little pricey for me at the moment.

What are thoughts on the probables or have you any other reccomendations for a projector within €1000? Any help or advice is very much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

Hi there I just got into the projector scene myself at xmas & I purchased a Sanyo Z3 from a german company & I have to say it's just brilliant I use it mainly for movies but I also play my xbox on it also the picture is superb it's now available for €969 just under you're budget but I see you have the Z4 as a possibility & thats €1449 but from what I've read there is'nt much of a difference between both models but I'm sure whatever you're choice you will not be dissapointed :D
    http://www.technikdirekt.de

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BravoGolf

Wow, sounds like a good projector, thanks for the reccomendations. Would like to know how you find the picture quality? Do you plug the Xbox or Xbox 360 into it (or both) and how do they look. Also, what size picture are you using for it?

Really looking forward to getting one of these, my only concerns now are the distance I have to be from the screen, since I might be quite close, and the brightness levels. I noticed that one has only 800 lumens, is that bright for you? Can it play stuff during the day with the curtains closed or does it have to be completely dark?

Cheers for the link by the way, their prices are a little cheaper than Pixmania.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I got the Z4 a few weeks ago from a company in Dublin - cost 2k though

Any questions you have on projectors, have a look here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43

OK, think I just saw your post over there....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BravoGolf

Yep, I had posted here first to see what the Irish lot thought of the Projectors but man that AVForums place certainly lives up to its reputation by far, really helpful. Thanks for you help here and there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

no problem....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Have a look at the Panasonic AE700, I know you said you want the AE900 but the difference in the average home would be negligible.
    Its more in your price range, but remember your going to have to factor in a screen into your budget as all the contrast ratio and brightness in the world will still give you a crap picture on a wall, compared to a well screened projector.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=307691 , unfortunately its a B grade model.

(I have an AE700 myself too and its faultless. Bought from Komplett.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Out of the list you had, I'd suggest the Pan... I've been looking into what to buy also for a while now. I've managed to narrow it down to 2...

The Panasonic PT-AE900E
    and
    The Epson EMP-TW520

both projectors are LCD and very good. It depends on where you want to use the projector, when you want to use it most and how much you want to spend.

The Pan has a great contrast ratio of 5500:1 while the Epson has 4000:1.
    If you have a light controlled room for viewing, then the Pan should give better black levels, however since most of us live in houses and plan to have the projector in our living rooms, then painting the room black isn't an option so you won't see much difference in the contrast levels.

Also it's important to keep in mind the Lumens.
    The Pan has 1100 lumens while the Epson has 1400 lumens. This is the what the specs tells us. However the lumen levels are for a new bulb. As the bulb is used and gets older, the lumen level drops, so 1100 lumens can fall to around 800 lumens. Likewise the 1400 of the Epson will fall to aroud 1100 lumens.

If you want to use the projector during the day, then the higher the lumens the better. The Epson will be fine. The Pan will however need a hand so you will need to close the blinds. Also since the light levels in the room will effect the contrast levels, the extra contrast level seen in the Pan is wasted.

Both of these projectors are HD ready so that's a plus.

The Pan comes in at around 150 euro cheaper in www.Komplett.ie

In conclusion...
    unless you plan to have the projector in a light controlled room with black walls etc you won't notice the difference in the higher contrast between the Pan and the Epson.
    However, if you plan to use the projector during daylight then the Epson will be better due to the higher lumens. If you want to only use the projector at night when it;s dark, then go with the Pan. Don't forget the late summer evenings, If that doesn't bother you, then the Pan will save you around 150 big ones to go towards a screen.

Either way, both of these projectors are very good and there isn't that much in the difference picture wise. One thing I read however was that there is a bit more involved in setting up the Epson than the Pan.

A friend of mine bought an Epson EMP-TW10H and it's got less lumens, contrast and resolution than both of these and it looks amazing. So both of these will look even better so don't worry about the picture quality. That said, you will notice some Pixel meshing but that's what you get with any LCD projector. However they say both of these are fine and it's not noticable.

Here's a good site...

http://www.cine4home.com/reviews/projectors/EpsonTW600/EpsonReview.htm

It has a review of the Epson TW600, it's the same as the 520 except it has a 5000:1 contrast ratio and 1600 Lumens.

I'm edging towards the Epson myself, however the cost is a factor and I need to get a screen. A good site for a screen is here...

http://www.intoav.com/

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Mike.

Advertisement