Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FOBUS holsters.

Options
  • 24-03-2006 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

I've been offered the chance of importing FOBUS holsters.
    Would people here be interested in this type of gear?

E.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I'm not sure - from my knowledge of them, they cater more for the carry market than competition. Carry holsters have very little use here, but ones suitable for competition would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

i would be intrested all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

I own a couple and they are a good holster for the money (usually about $20). They offer no retention at least in the models I have. Just for fun check out the new Blakchawk SERPA. Very good design. My buddy just got the drop leg one. It has an open top w/ retention.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

I already have 2 of them and find them very useful for the range. Paid $16 for one & $19 for the other. Great the way they are moulded to a particular firearm's profile to ensure a snug fit. Highly reccomend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Smirky wrote:
    I already have 2 of them and find them very useful for the range. Paid $16 for one & $19 for the other. Great the way they are moulded to a particular firearm's profile to ensure a snug fit. Highly reccomend them.

Where did you buy them?

E.

• Advertisement

Off the Net. I think one was Ebay & the other was doing a search & the dealer in the States posted it to me. Fobus have just released the holster for the Sig .22 Mosquito, so just picked that up. They are pretty readily available. For what it is worth if you have to pay anything to obtain the distribution right then I wouldn't bother, but otherwise a few well placed posters in the the appropriate ranges might drum you up a bit of business & you might save people on postege & hassle. Problem is I assume you will have to get them in to order, as there are so many different versions, so if you can't get them cheaper than ebay / Net (including postage) then there may not be a profit in it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Mayhem,

Did anything ever come of this business prospect.
    They are a very good value holster for their price and are used quite alot on the practical pistol scene.
    Do you know if they are available to buy in Eire apart from on the net?
    I just bought a holster with 2 mag pouches on e-bay for less than €40.
    Superb Value.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

On the point of holsters on ranges, how do you guys ensure safety from someone walking round the range with a holstered pistol? I'm asking because for ISSF shooting, the pistol is cased everywhere but on the firing line, and it's disassembled in the case so you know the chamber's empty - how do you ensure this with a holster? Do they make provision for something like a breech flag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

I may not be the most qualified person to comment on this but before anyone is permitted to carry a gun holstered on their hip on range they have to have undertaken and passed the I.P.S.C. 2 day intensive safety course.
    Only then is one permitted to holster a gun on range and partake in practical pistol practice/events.

On arrival at the range, with your pistol boxed or cased you proceed to the primary safety area and observed by a range officer you show that your gun is devoid of magazine, chamber is empty and clear of any ammunition. The gun is then checked again and verified by the R.O. to be in a 'Clear' condition and you are asked to close slide, drop hammer and holster safely.

The gun must remain unloaded & holstered until it is your turn to shoot and you are called upon by the R.O. to 'Load & make ready'.
    Shooting commences and on cessation gun must be cleared, checked and reholstered as detailed above and verified by the R.O. before the shooter leaves the firing point.

So in real terms, nobody is permitted to have a magazine or ammunition in their gun until called upon by the R.O. to shoot. Similar to Clay events, guns remain in sleeve (holster), unloaded until it is your turn to shoot and return to sleeve (holster) directly after shooting.

Practical Pistol is one of the most safety emphasised shooting sports I have ever partaken in and their standard of tuition, safety drilling and safety protocol is second to none.

I'm sure Les45 or Oldzed will be along soon to clarify anything I might have missed out on as I am a relative newcomer to this fantastic discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Chopperdog wrote:
    Mayhem,

Did anything ever come of this business prospect.
    They are a very good value holster for their price and are used quite alot on the practical pistol scene.
    Do you know if they are available to buy in Eire apart from on the net?
    I just bought a holster with 2 mag pouches on e-bay for less than €40.
    Superb Value.

The "project" got pushed to the backburner by something more urgent.
    Will probably fire it up again over the next few weeks...

E.

• Advertisement

Chopperdog wrote:
    On arrival at the range, with your pistol boxed or cased you proceed to the primary safety area and observed by a range officer you show that your gun is devoid of magazine, chamber is empty and clear of any ammunition. The gun is then checked again and verified by the R.O. to be in a 'Clear' condition and you are asked to close slide, drop hammer and holster safely.
    The gun must remain unloaded & holstered until it is your turn to shoot and you are called upon by the R.O. to 'Load & make ready'.
    Shooting commences and on cessation gun must be cleared, checked and reholstered as detailed above and verified by the R.O. before the shooter leaves the firing point.
    So in real terms, nobody is permitted to have a magazine or ammunition in their gun until called upon by the R.O. to shoot.

Not trying to offend, and I'm hoping no-one is offended by the question, but what physically stops a shooter from loading a round into the chamber between the gun being checked as unloaded by the shooter and RO and it being the shooter's turn to shoot? In ISSF, this is something being now more closely looked at. In rifle disciplines we can insert a breech flag that physically prevents the insertion of a round into the chamber, and I know they make similar products for pistols - can these be used in any of these holsters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Sparks wrote:
    Not trying to offend, and I'm hoping no-one is offended by the question, but what physically stops a shooter from loading a round into the chamber between the gun being checked as unloaded by the shooter and RO and it being the shooter's turn to shoot?

Well Sparks, they sellotape the shooters hand behind his/her back and only release them before their turn to shoot!:rolleyes:

Shooters involved in IPSC shooting are trained to not load rounds into the chamber as you put it, after showing clear and hammer down holster.

IPSC safety procedures make the individual shooter ultimately responsible for the condition of their firearm not the range officials.

If your not capable of being personally responsible,
    IPSC is not for you.

Any breaches of safety procedures are dealt with severely.

if an individual was stupid enough to load a round as you suggest,
    then surely, they would not be stopped by a flag in the chamber,
    they would just pull it out first!

Dvs.

Dvs, I'm not trying to snipe here, it was a question based on honest curiosity.
    On the safety flag note - that's the whole point. The flag cannot be visible and the rifle loaded simultaenously; which means the RO can just look at the firearm and know if it's safe or not. Before anyone goes forward in ISSF rifle shooting to change targets, the shooters open their bolts and check their chambers, and insert a safety flag; the RO can then look down the line and verify that all rifles are safe and then issue the go-forward command. What I'm wondering is whether the holster lets that be done for pistol shooting, or if it's too all-enclosing.

Hi Sparks, I have a Kleeneeze Bore Flag for my 9mm and the straight answer is no, it won't fit into an average holster with the bore flag in - mainly because most holsters are designed to take pretty much the full firearm and to cover up the breach & trigger area to avoid accidental discharge while holstered.

Basically the "flag" part sticks out of the breach and pretty much stops you holstering fully.

Like the previous posters, my experience has been that people must arrive to the range with their firearms cased & have them certified as clear by the RO before removing them from the case. No-one is permitted to holster a firearm without it being certified as clear by the RO & you are not permitted to have a magazine in place, plus the hammer must be down while it is holstered.

This, combined with the other safety measures, allows everyone on the range to feel safe around holstered firearms.

I think the earlier analogy is a good one whereby this effectively means that the firearm is "sleeved" ie there is no guarantee that someone walking around with a sleeved shotgun does not neccessarily have a cartidge in the barrell as you obviously cannot see the bore flag through the sleeve.

Advertisement