Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samphire anyone?

Options
  • 24-03-2006 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here know where I might either buy or find samphire?

For anyone who doesn't know what it is, it's a plant that grows mainly in salt marshes, and is great with fish. It's got a slightly salty flavour, vaguely like green asparagus, and just needs either gently sweating off in a little butter, and maybe a finely chopped shallot, or blanching for a few seconds in boiling water. I used to be able to just buy it in the supermarket in Holland when it was in season (which I think was spring / early summer), but haven't seen it here.

I know that in some coastal parts of the UK where there are salt marshes it grows wild, so maybe there's somewhere around the Dublin area I might be able to find some. A long shot, i know, but you never know :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

You can get it from Dennis Healy in Temple Bar market on a saturday or sunday at ranelagh multidenominational school

Your thread reminded me that I've wanted to get some of this for a while now, so I got some today in Temple Bar Market, it costs 20€/kg which is quite expensive but you dont really need a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks. Problem is I'm always out hillwalking on a Saturday, so never get the chance to get into Dublin then. What's this other place? I have to admit I haven't even got a clue where Ranelagh is, let alone the school. Is it some kind of farmers market or something? Does he do any of the other markets, like Leopardstown or Laragh by any chance?

Anyway, I hope you enjpoyed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can pick it in Kerry, but I guess that is of little consquence to you, seeing that you live in Wicklow.

I just had a look and there is a good chance, that there is a stall that does it here:
    Glendalough Farmers market every second Sunday (Brockagh Resource Centre, Laragh, Co. Wicklow).
    Ok I got the name wrong it's dennis healy, I'm terrible with names.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote:
    You can pick it in Kerry, but I guess that is of little consquence to you, seeing that you live in Wicklow.
    Yep, a bit of a long way to go :)

Blub2k4 wrote:
    I just had a look and there is a good chance, that there is a stall that does it here:
    Glendalough Farmers market every second Sunday (Brockagh Resource Centre, Laragh, Co. Wicklow).
    Ok I got the name wrong it's dennis healy, I'm terrible with names.
    Dennis Healy sounds familiar alright. I go to the Laragh market quite often, and I'm pretty sure I've seen him there, and possibly at the Leopardstown racecourse one on a Friday too. My wife works just behind there, so I'll get her to have a look this Friday. Thanks!

I'm also off to visit my sister in north west Norfolk in a few weeks. That part of the coast is supposedly a good place to look as well according to what I've googled, or maybe I'll just be able to buy some locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Sorry for dragging this up, something I dont do very often.

But I got some samphire this weekend in the Fishmongers, I have to say its beautiful, goes so well with fish, its gorgeous. Dear though, cost 7 euro for a pound.

Chong wrote: »
    But I got some samphire this weekend in the Fishmongers, I have to say its beautiful, goes so well with fish, its gorgeous. Dear though, cost 7 euro for a pound.
    Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Alun wrote: »
    Where?
    My bad , I got it down here in Limerick, in a place called Rene Cusacks.

• Advertisement

Chong wrote: »
    My bad , I got it down here in Limerick, in a place called Rene Cusacks.
    Hmmm, a bit far to go from Bray, even for such a delicacy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The sometimes stock it in caviston's and also in the market in the people's park in dun laoghaire.
    Make sure you give it a good wash though before cooking, the last batch was really really salty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Gingerbreaddan

I've seen it in Lawlors in the Upper Rathmines Road before. Bit random as it's a butchers, never knew what to do with it but as they have a new fish counter having it with fish makes sense.

Advertisement