Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buses in the city are a bloody joke..

Options
  • 24-03-2006 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

I was up in Merlin Park this evening photographing the forest and at after four-ish, I tripped, hurt my ankle an decided to call it a day. I limped over to the bus stop at just before half past and got talking to an African gentleman who'd been waiting since ten past the hour for the bus. I told him that it was Friday evening and what with traffic, it was probably late.

Roll on 1640, the next due time... no bus. And 1700...no bus.

I finally decided enough was enough and started limping in to the GMIT as I could get the Renmore bus into town.

What passes me at the roundabout? The Merlin Park bus. At 1722. A full 70 minutes late!

image2b.jpg

I get to the bus stop at GMIT only for two taxis to pull up in short order to collect students.

image2.jpg

I asked the lady next to me how long she'd been waiting. "About since five."

Finally when the bus came around I asked the driver why the bus was over an hour late. He looked at me like I'd sprouted a third eye and said nothing.

Its a fecking joke, when buses in the city can seemingly run to whatever schedule pleases them. Traffic might add a few minutes, but not that long!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Buses? There are buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah this annoys me aswell but like its not the bus drivers fault (even though they're all pricks) so I never say anything. I guess its all the work in Eyre Square and traffic congestion in the evenings thats making the times out of sync. They're usually grand after 10am and before 4.

Why don't they make a revised one or something if the times listed aren't realistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

i dont think ive ever seen a bus ontime in galway

If their not late they are early and you miss them. But you cant really tell if they are late or not cause the bus arriving around the time you are at the stop is probably the bus ment for 20 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

WHINE

Get used to it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

simu wrote:
    Buses? There are buses?

cycle a bike then you notice them :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

yeah pisses me off too..
    Half the time they dont even have a bus running..
    it would be so much better if they just had one bus per hour and it actually came on time...
    It should be no prob taking traffic into consideration!

Tiesto wrote:
    yeah pisses me off too..
    Half the time they dont even have a bus running..
    it would be so much better if they just had one bus per hour and it actually came on time...
    It should be no prob taking traffic into consideration!

I know. I always have to get the Merlin Park bus into town. Though usually I get so fed up I walk to the bus stop just outside the Bon Secour hospital and get the ballybane bus. They run fairly on time (well more on time than the fecking Merlin Park bus!)

I've actually gotten myself really fit from walking into town most of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Ah the merlin park bus. Its really a wonderous thing I know there is one timetabled run from merlin to town that just plain does not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

Ive had to deal with s**t like that for years! I now cycle everywhere.

I have as much respect for BusEireann as i do for AerRianta, Eircom, The Gardai, and Gary Glitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

the number 3 bus has made me late for work so many times over the past year it's unreal...
    it's far from the worst bus route in Galway though

I keep telling my boss that i'll get the bus 30 minutes earlier, but **** that tbh! i need my kip:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I saw a bus today, wow.
    It was the '0'. I wanted to follow it to it's origin.

I saw a bus today, wow.
    It was the '0'. I wanted to follow it to it's origin.

Thats the Eyre Square bus. But why people need a bus to Eyre Square from Eyre Square is beyond me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Thats the Eyre Square bus. But why people need a bus to Eyre Square from Eyre Square is beyond me
    The number probably wasn't changed. Any bus terminating in Eyre Square (ie. not going any further) is supposed to have 0 as it's destination.

The timetable is a sham and has never been updated to reflect the heavier traffic in Galway. There are still 'phantom' buses on some routes that never run. To top it all off sometimes the inspectors appear to decide not to send a bus out on a route if not enough people are waiting for it in town, with an obvious knock on effect on the other end.

I got sick of it over the years and these days regardless of how wet the day gets I won't go near the bus despite having a stop 100m from my house. And they wonder why everyone drives to work, drives their kids to school...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I get the bus to and from Oranmore daily and the most out of time I've ever seen a bus is by about 2 minutes. I think it's fantastic - clearly others don't share this view :D

Has anybody written into the Advertiser about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Shinto wrote:
    and Gary Glitter.
    Leader of the Gang bang, you're dead!

Wasn't he up for the firing squad or something?

Advertisement