Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Boats

Options
  • 24-03-2006 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Anyone know ANYTHING about house boats? Is there a forum here for discussing? Would be interested in buying one but am looking for information relating to them here in Ireland.
    Mot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Post away. I don't see it as a magical solution though (mooring fees, pumped sewage, security).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I love houseboats! Don't know if I'd want to live on one in Ireland but I do want to live on one somewhere someday. The look cool.
    Sorry i haven't been any help, as the man said, it mightn't work out that much cheaper....but you can move around!

Also, there'd prob be a stugma attached to them in Ireland. Somewhere along the line of living in a mobile home....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

IIRC, there's a company based somewhere in Ireland that rents them out, for holiday's, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Some people live on barges on the Grand Canal in Sallins & Hazelhatch. There are also a good few people living on Barges in Athlone and in other places along the River Shannon.
    Check out www.iwai.ie. It's a voluntary group (not a government dept.) and they have great boating advice on their site. I think they also have info on living on a boat but you might have to dig.
    I know a few who livaboard and it's a nice life. A bit hard in winter but it's a nice alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

A mate of mines bro is nearly finished builing his houseboat.. He has it in Hazelhatch n loves it... Tis something different to say the least.. Sure with global warming n that its a safe bet :-p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hmm, I looked into this in the past as an affordable alternative a normal house..have a read of this..not promising to say the least ..

http://www.iwai.ie/boating/liveaboard.html

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭macfran

unklerosco wrote:
    A mate of mines bro is nearly finished builing his houseboat.. He has it in Hazelhatch n loves it... Tis something different to say the least.. Sure with global warming n that its a safe bet :-p

It is nice from his and many other people who live aboard points of view but for people like me who use the inland waterways as a recreational pastime I cannot visit Hazelhatch or Sallins because I would have to moor too far from the amenities that are available in those areas.

The fact that these "houseboats" do not move do they pay the Waterways Ireland fee of 120euros per annum? We move our boat and have to have a permit for lock passage and are only too happy to pay it as compared to other countries it is very reasonable.

The global warming idea is not as green as it looks, in Hazelhatch Sallins and Lowtown there are far too many boats/barges with washing machines and toilets been pumped in to the canal so that has to pollute the water.

Advertisement