Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless working, internet still looking for dial up number to connect?

• 24-03-2006 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi,
    I still can't connect to the internet without using my old dial up even though there seems to be a full strength wireless signal.

I've got 4 machines connected to a wireless internet broadband connection. 3 of them (new machines) are working fine.

The 4th machine is older (2002 Dell Dimension) and needed an external wireless adapter. The signal strength coming in is fine, there seems to be no problems with it except when I go to connect to the internet I am still asked for my old dial up information.

If I get rid of the old dial up connection completely, I just get an error saying that it can't connect to the internet, even though there seems to be a perfectly good wireless connection at full signal strength.

The only problem I've noticed is that when I go to the Wireless Network Connection Properties and try to click on "Use Windows to configure my Wireless Connection", the box will accept the 'tick' but the next time I open the properties it's gone? I'm wondering if it won't connect due to this inability to store the new config or is there any thing else I'm missing?

If you have any suggestions I would be really greatful!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

a)Why is your postcount 0, when you don't seem do be banned??

Did you check the box "Automatically detect Internet Settings"

What browser you usin, Firefox, IE, Opera, Netscape, Safari??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Open Internet explorer, Click on:

Tools - Internet options - Connections (tab) - click 'never dial a connection'.
    Click apply
    Click ok

Browse without dialup :)

Or in Firefox, Tools - Options - Connection Settings - Direct Connection To the Internet

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blue5

Thanks for the replies, I have checked the connection settings and they're fine. I've also tried completely deleting the dial up connection and it still won't connect to the wireless even though there's a strong signal.

I'm having doubts about the Network card, is it part of the Belkin wireless adapter or is it possible the machine doesn't have one?

I've checked in the System Properties under Network and Adapter but I'm not sure what I'm looking for here. The Belkin shows up as 802.11g Network Adapter and the Adapter Type is Ethernet 802.3 .

Does anyone know what the machine looks for when it goes to get a wireless connection?

Advertisement