Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable Housing Nightmare

Options
  • 24-03-2006 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

1. It took 4 years for 62 units to be built
    2. Price went up 3 times plus extra money for other things.
    3. Were forced to use dub city co for our mortagages.
    4. 20 year clawbk even thought we signed up 2 years b4 legislation
    5. Lost first time buyers becuse of holdups.
    6. Moved in on a caretakers agreement paying 800 month, with no mortgage
    7. Were told we had to use DCC solicitors. Turned out this solicitor was working for the builder, developer, DCC and us.
    8. Got brave and got own solicitor he cudnt get the papers, eventually when he did there was loads of mistakes.
    9. 2 years in this property and still av no mortgage.
    10.1200 managment fees.
    Have tryed every avenue to get answers have wrote hundreds of letters and have received no help. Feel so helpless and so demoralised.

Juat had to vent if anyone has any advice i wud be realy greatfull.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well, you are here now, lets see if we can help.
    1. It took 4 years for 62 units to be built Not something that can be changed.
    2. Price went up 3 times plus extra money for other things.Did this happen after contracts were signed by you?
    3. Were forced to use dub city co for our mortagages.That is the nature of such schemes.
    4. 20 year clawbk even thought we signed up 2 years b4 legislationHad you actually signed contracts. Or had you merely signed an application?
    5. Lost first time buyers becuse of holdups.Out of their hands.
    6. Moved in on a caretakers agreement paying 800 month, with no mortgageWhat does this "caretakers agreement" mean?
    7. Were told we had to use DCC solicitors. Turned out this solicitor was working for the builder, developer, DCC and us.In theory a single solicitor should keep costs down.
    8. Got brave and got own solicitor he cudnt get the papers, eventually when he did there was loads of mistakes.Good for you, people do need to be checked up on.
    9. 2 years in this property and still av no mortgage.Is the 800 in rent or is it a part-rent / part-capital agreement?
    10.1200 managment fees.Steep, but demand explanation.
    Have tryed every avenue to get answers have wrote hundreds of letters and have received no help.
    Feel so helpless and so demoralised. Hey, stick in there, you have a roof over your head and presumably long-term security. Things should work themselves out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Another question, why don't DCC advertise their affordable properties like their counterparts in SDCC(propertypath initiative) and Fingal?
    Its like a national secret the location and prices of their properties, unless you happen to drive by one of their signs on a proposed site!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

gurramok wrote:
    Another question, why don't DCC advertise their affordable properties like their counterparts in SDCC(propertypath initiative) and Fingal?
    Its like a national secret the location and prices of their properties, unless you happen to drive by one of their signs on a proposed site!

I think they have plans on view in Civic offices for all to see,also they have models of up and coming projects beside main reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Thanks for that, i'll have a wander down there soon.
    It seems a bit suspicious that DCC are not publicising their schemes via the web/papers, i reckon its because of scarcity of land, they don't want too many applicants unlike the other councils who are marketing for customers with plentiful land supply!
    To the OP, €1200 for a management fee is hardly applicable to affordable housing!
    Management fees of that magnitude are supposed to be for people that can afford it IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bigmoma

Ta 4 replies. We think we might go 2 d papers regarding the managment fees because a few wks ago on joe duffys talk show was all bout managment fees so i rang in and was talkin 2 him on air. Nobody could beleive it for an affordable hse the fees are higher than private apartments in the area. After the show i rang minister Dick Roach cause he had been on another show the day b4 giving out bout managment fees. I got talking to his wife and she was realy helpfull and then about an hour later Dick rang me. He said he would do all he could to help and would keep in touch. I got a follow on letter and we have had 3 different TDs onto him and to date we have received no help so we feel the only way is to go public.

Regarding everything else one of our local TDs put us in touch with a top solicitor and he reckons we should take "legal action". Then we are going public with all that too. I only touched on wat happened to us in my first post it just too much to go in2 but beleive me we have been to hell and back over and over.
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement