Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting a Windows 98 machine on the network

Options
  • 24-03-2006 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I brought a windows 98 pc into work from home. I want to use the broadband access to download some files.

I installed a NIC and connected it to a network point. NIC is working. At the moment I can't ping to or from it.

IPs on the network are static, so I gave the machine a unique number in the range.
    Gave it the IP of the gateway.
    Gave it the IP of the DNS server, Host Name (=DNS machine name?) and domain (local domain?).

Also, tried with DNS disabled, so just IP and gateway IP but no go either.

File and printer sharing is enabled.

How do I set this up properly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

once you have a unique IP, the right subnet mask and the gateway you should be able to ping other machines. check to see if there is a light on the network card that will tell you it is picking you the connection. Also are you sure that the network cable you are using works, if not try a cable you know actually works.
    Is there any firewall that many be causing the ICMP traffic to be dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

There's no point in trying to ping another machine on the network - ping the gateway first.

Are the status lights on the card and the router/switch indicating a connection?

Do you by any chance have a firewire card installed in that machine? Some firewire cards set themselves up as network devices, and that might be the default network device. (I think if you run WinIPCFG you should be able to see what network devices the machine thinks it has).

Did you by any chance set up MAC level security on the router? (Usually only done on wireless routers, but I'm just throwing it out there - check the logs on the router).

Advertisement