Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB charges lifted

Options
  • 24-03-2006 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello

I want to advise who has a AIB account.
    I went to the AIB branch in Clonskeagh on tuesday and told them I was going to change bank because of all the charges/fees applied by AIB although I never overdraft in over 12 years (since I had the account open)
    and always paid the credit card on time. I asked how I could transfer some shares together with the account to the new bank namely Permanent TSB.

The guy called me in a office in the back and told me that they were going to stop charging the various fees if I didn't move the account to PTSB.
    I agreed but I'm not very happy anyway. Permanent TSB advertise the free banking. AIB tries to rip you off with the charges , but when you go to see them to change bank....only then they offer to lift all banking fees.

I never received a letter telling me that I could get free banking.....
    I don't think it's very honest. Has anyone had the same experience ?
    Maybe they think most people are stupid and rip them off as much as they can.

Thanks
    Bye, bye
    Maples180

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WICKL0W

I presume you were a student hence Clonskeagh ? I too went to close my account there a couple of years ago and they changed my status to student and I get free banking. I would not be too confident that they would do this in other branches. This was not my main account and i use it for direct debits and bank transfers to reduce fees. I find it handy having 2 bank accounts because I also use one of them for giving to people who are making lodgements to my account so if there is ever a scam there is very little money in it in the first place to get scammed. I wouldn't be too quick in closing the account if they are going to give you free banking. Their 24 hr banking is superb. I actually left ptsb myself years ago.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Ulster Bank also offer free banking. Mrs Parsi has some sort of empty account with them and she got a letter advising her of their new policies - one of which is that cheques now take 6 working days to clear. No wonder they can go free- they hold on to your money for longer thananyone else...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Had a similar experience with Bank of Ireland a few years ago when they introduced current account fees.

Always ran my account in perfectly good order with no problems. Tried to negotiate. They would not budge on fees. I thought that their attitude stinked.

They even charged me a fee for the bank draft to pay me out the closing balance of my account. Bas****s.

This sort of thing hacks off customers. I would never go back to BoI after that experience. Went to AIB. Perfectly satisfactory - including the fees !

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Just been announced - AIB to drop their fees. Source RTE.ie
    RTE.ie wrote:
    AIB is introducing free banking for its phone and internet banking and debit card users. The bank says that customers with personal current accounts who, each quarter, use AIB phone/internet banking and their AIB debit card for one transaction will now qualify for free banking.

The bank says that this is the first in a series of initiatives to be introduced by it in the coming weeks, which will focus on key areas of importance to personal banking customers.

Free transaction banking will start on May 27.

AIB already provides free transaction banking for students and customers over the age of 60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TabulaRasa22

AIB recently got spanked over fraud on the exchange rates, and they are playing really nicely with customers since then. Honestly I never had any bad experiences with BOI though, unlike AIB where I've had money stolen (foolishly put notes into one of the quick deposit envelopes) and deposits incorrectly filed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement