Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

jeep cherokee crd commerical

Options
  • 24-03-2006 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

looking a 2002 model of jeep cherokee crd commerical
    2.5 diesel,manual
    are they any good,any thing to look out for
    what the like mpg
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Piles of rubbish in my opinion. Go for a Toyota Landcruiser - Even S/H one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

crosstownk wrote:
    Piles of rubbish in my opinion. Go for a Toyota Landcruiser - Even S/H one.
    not many land cruisers under 20k,
    whats bad about cherokee and what about L200

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the Cherokee came out in 1984. it's an antique, but not cool in the way a Defender is.
    It's really small inside. the floor is incredibly high, and the roof unbelievibly low. The dashboard looks (and feels) like it's made of lego, and it's not even that fun to drive.

There was a new model some time in 02. but it never made many friends in Ireland. Anyone I've talked to said the engine was as bad as a Pajero 2.5

colm_mcm wrote:
    the Cherokee came out in 1984. it's an antique, but not cool in the way a Defender is.
    It's really small inside. the floor is incredibly high, and the roof unbelievibly low. The dashboard looks (and feels) like it's made of lego, and it's not even that fun to drive.

Get a Terrano or something instead
    even the newer model?

not many land cruisers under 20k,
    whats bad about cherokee and what about L200
    To find out whats bad about a Cherokee just drive one for a couple of days and all will be revealed. Bad seat position, bad handling, soft suspension, lego dash (copyright of colm_mcm)that looks awful and a host of other deficiences. They are just not nice to drive.

You might get a 1998-1999 jap import Toyota Landcruiser (Prado) for 20K as good as the Irish market version

• Advertisement

even the newer model?

in fairness the new model isn't as bad as the old. but still is quite small. you'd have to go to a Grand Cherokee to even come near to the size of a Land Cruiser (and it'd still be smaller)

colm_mcm wrote:
    in fairness the new model isn't as bad as the old. but still is quite small. you'd have to go to a Grand Cherokee to even come near to the size of a Land Cruiser (and it'd still be smaller)
    drove santa fe and didnt like it,staying from anything leyland as you cant give away
    toyota,hard to get as well as nissan which would be first choice
    crew cabs of nissan not bad if you can get good one as theyb seem be driven to the ground from what l saw in few dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

You have probalby bought something by now but for the record the Jeep Cherokee is a great 4x4

I had one for four years 01 model diesel 2.5
    it replaced my 3.5L land cruiser which incidently is the Best 4x4 you can get.

The jeep is practical and good off road but more important good on road,
    it is not permenent four wheel drive so it is one of the most economical on fuel around 35mpg, the tyres on my landcruiser only lasted a year because of perminent four wheel drive chews tyres especialy city driving.
    The jeep is one of the most stable on the road due to its low profile, the terrano is a dreadful 4x4 it look like sh*t and is so high and narrow it would topple over without much effort.
    I had 80k miles of trouble free driving in my jeep and tought it was great value for money.

If you bought the jeep post your experience.

http://www.vanbuyersguide.ie/Comm_detail.asp?CBGID=411740&ID=674766&NumPics=3&Make=Jeep&Model=Cherokee%20CRD%20Commercial&frmFilter=Default

looks like this and green in colour and 2002 reg
    and havent bought a 4x4 yet,next week hopefully

drove santa fe and didnt like it,staying from anything leyland as you cant give away

how do you mean "anything leyland"?

BTW, I'm giving an opinion as someone who sells jeeps, rather than someone who's owned a Cherokee privately

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    how do you mean "anything leyland"?

BTW, I'm giving an opinion as someone who sells jeeps, rather than someone who's owned a Cherokee privately
    except the full size one,l know friends who owned leyland 4x4 who couldnt even trade them againist another 4x4 from another company,same with certain cars
    l wasnt mad about the early models of jeep.looked too boxy to me
    as a person who sells jeeps
    what kind of trouble do they give,what they do to gallon

you're gonna be averaging around 30mpg. around right for a freelander-sized machine.

The engines are fairly trouble free, but have heard of a few electrical niggles, and faulty ignition switches, TBH haven't heard too much good or bad about reliability.

colm_mcm wrote:
    you're gonna be averaging around 30mpg. around right for a freelander-sized machine.

The engines are fairly trouble free, but have heard of a few electrical niggles, and faulty ignition switches, TBH haven't heard too much good or bad about reliability.
    looking at nisan pathfinder2003 and jeep cherokee crd 2002 with my mancahic and see what he finds out,will think about which ever come out tops and if still there will get middle next week unless l something better

looking at nisan pathfinder2003 and jeep cherokee crd 2002 with my mancahic and see what he finds out,will think about which ever come out tops and if still there will get middle next week unless l something better
    Just buy the Nissan - less headaches later.

presume you mean a Navara pick-up. The Nissan would be my choice, the 2.5 engine in that is a gem, and massively powerful for its size. also you get back seats!
    Only down side is the hard sprung back end, but I'd put up with that over buying the Jeep. (wouldn't like to try and trade a Cherokee into anywhere but a Jeep dealer)

lm comming from a private insurance with axa to commerical insurance
    got a sock with axa when l got quote
    was trible what it is with my 1.9 diesel car
    got quote from fbd which was more than half what axa quoted me
    :confused: :eek: :eek:

so if you buy a cherokee,you only sell to jeep dealer as trade in??

so if you buy a cherokee,you only sell to jeep dealer as trade in??

Jeep dealer is the only dealer who'll give you big money, same with Chrysler cars.

(just sent you a PM about a nice 02 Land Cruiser i have for sale)

colm_mcm wrote:
    Jeep dealer is the only dealer who'll give you big money, same with Chrysler cars.

(just sent you a PM about a nice 02 Land Cruiser i have for sale)
    when l came back from states in 98,bought a new chrysler neon 2.0
    great car,dealer was **** with servicing ,couldnt get good price in tradin againist other makes
    neon didnt take off in this country,not many sold is what l was told when trading it

when l came back from states in 98,bought a new chrysler neon 2.0
    great car,dealer was **** with servicing ,couldnt get good price in tradin againist other makes
    neon didnt take off in this country,not many sold is what l was told when trading it

a 1.8/2.0 automatic car no bigger than a Corolla with panel gaps you could walk through isn't exactly a recipe for success!

• Advertisement

liked the car ,was too small in drivers seat,you had to be short legged
    only prob l had was electric winddows,motor when on both sides

CHECKED THE JEEP OUT
    got it checked
    very clean,had to check engine that is was not a 4 bore slit by 4 as l was told only to get 4 bore by 1 ,which it was
    toook it out for good run and put it throught the paces,will think about it

how many miles before a jeep cherokee gets a new timing belt

well l picked up differentjeep with same spec and miles ,well kept
    have seen nissan and toyota and the 3 diamonds and the jeep was best for money as far condition and overall
    had 2 manhinics who friends of mine
    nissan who good ,but had few probs we found with 4 wheel drive and cost ruled that out
    mis[3 diamonds was ruled out as it looked like it was worked hard and could have been looked after better
    toyota was ruled out as was over priced and they wouldnt budge on price
    in last 2 weeks ,looked at 27 4x4 and tested them too with of the guys
    only down side to jeep is it has lower tadein or resale price,other than that
    might be down to the year l was looking at 2002 ,because l was on budget
    wanted 4x4 commerical and as good mpg as we could get
    didnt want too big a 4x4,
    where wasnt as good a choice out there as l thought
    was told depends on time of year you look
    did one way trip from dealer ,got 30-35 mpg at 65 and 70-75 ,got 30-31
    has good power,first gear little lower touque than l thought,rest of gears have good speed throught them,good braking and accelration
    back is high as was said,but not bothered
    wasnt into too fancy a dash,only wanted most need and not all frills like grand cherokee with high price tag
    as would be using for work and family

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

My understanding is that Toyotas are the best used 4x4s but go for mad money. Better to buy a Pajero or Nissan which are significently cheaper but almost as durable.

Land Rover Defender is really cool and all the British journos rave about them. Crap tho'...

pburns wrote:
    My understanding is that Toyotas are the best used 4x4s but go for mad money. Better to buy a Pajero or Nissan which are significently cheaper but almost as durable.

Land Rover Defender is really cool and all the British journos rave about them. Crap tho'...

Would have to go lower in years for pajero to fit budget, which are about the best in 4x4
    nissans are good,selection over last 15 days was poor
    wouldnt touch anythink leyland as bad resale and trouble every ever which way
    pajero would be number 1 and nissan and toyota after that
    for the money and best condition was jeep cherokee 2002 l got
    my 2 grease monkey friends check every 4x4 and they recommeded the cherokee
    just was poor 2 weeks for 4x4 in used market ,was alot of good one ,but mad marked up prices

Advertisement