Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple networking problem, probably

Options
  • 25-03-2006 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭

Hey

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to networking. I can hook two pc's up to share files but thats about it but my knowledge doesnt go much further. I have a hub, a Zyxel router and two computers. The two pc's and the router are going through the hub and I can access the internet no problem on both pc's.

My problem is that I dont know how to view files on the other pc from this one and vice versa. Im sure it's easy as hell but I dont have a clue. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Which operating systems?

For XP you could take a look at http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

This pc has XP Pro and the other has XP Media Centre. I know how to set drives and folders up for sharing but I was wondering if I have to make a home network or something in order for the shared folders to be seen on the other computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

what you using dhcp or manual ip addressing? anyway make suer taht you have client for ms windose installed and file & print sharing enabled. after that create a share on both machines and you should be able to view contents on both machines. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

if you go into My Networking, and then click workgroup computers you will see the computers on the network, click the appropriate one and if you have the sharing set up right you should be able to see the folders shared.

Thats the problem. File&Printer sharing is enabled and I've set sharing on certain drives/directories but I still cant access the other computers files on either computer. My network is called "Home" and the pc's are "pc1" and "pc2".

Pc1:
    Address type: Assigned by DHCP
    IP Address: 192.168.1.34
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Pc2:
    Address type: Assigned by DHCP
    IP Address: 192.168.1.33
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Both pc's have the latest SP's and use the free version of Zonealarm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

can you ping each pc?

Yep just tried both IP's on both machines and it's pinging them fine.

try turing off zonealarm and see if you can see the contents of each pc then! It could be your setting in zone alarm blocking out each pc from each other even though you can still ping them!

Tried that but no luck :(

turn off all your firewalls including that crap windows xp sp2 one!

• Advertisement

I did, no change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Try putting in the address bar of PC2

\\PC1

and hit return.
    Does it show the shared folder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

nipplenuts wrote:
    Try putting in the address bar of PC2

\\PC1

and hit return.
    Does it show the shared folder?

on the end type c$
    so \\ip of pc1\c$

A great ms flaw :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Well I have a few suggestions. Firstly, is the version of XP home edition? cause if it is, and it's not professional, there are networking issues with that version of XP. Secondly, If it is professional, the PC's need to be in the same workgroup and have the same username with Admin rights and the same password on both PC's. i know you have probably tried all these but sometimes it's the simple things we forget to do that cause the most trouble.

nipplenuts and deckie I've tried both of them without luck.

mickrourke: PC1 has XP pro, PC2 has XP media centre. Both pc's are on the network "Home". I just typed that in when I was going through the make a new network wizard thing.
    have the same username with Admin rights and the same password on both PC's
    Could you elaborate on that please?

nipplenuts and deckie I've tried both of them without luck.

mickrourke: PC1 has XP pro, PC2 has XP media centre. Both pc's are on the network "Home". I just typed that in when I was going through the make a new network wizard thing.

Could you elaborate on that please?

Just a few questions Funky, when you say Network do you mean Network, or is it a workgroup? You need a domain controller (server) for a network but not for a workgroup, this is probably why you can't see each other PC. What you need to check is go into control panel - system properties - and click on the "Change" button. there you will see the workgroup box. The make a new network wizard is a bit of a pain, use this box instead. Type "WORKGROUP" into the workgroup box on both PC's, apply it, and you will need to restart both. Now for the user with Admin rights issue. Once you can see the other PC in your workgroup (Do the \\....) thing another user mentioned to view the PC you should be able to view the folders. You will not or should not be able to add/edit the folders until you create a user with admin rights on both machines, call it share or whatever, on both machines and give it the same password on both machines. You should then be able to access the folders/printers on both PC's from either PC. After that I can't really help you. It's a "got to be there to see it" kinda thing.....

mickrourke I could kiss you!

I went into the settings and renamed the PC and workgroup a few times on both computers and it's working now. Thanks a lot :)

edit: Seems I was hasty posting that! It didnt work but I fiddled around with Zonealarm and it seems to be working now. PC1 ip = 192.168.1.34 PC2 ip = 192.168.1.33. I went into ZA and added them ip's to the Trusted network zones on either computer. ie I put PC1's ip to trusted on pc2 and vice versa. Is this safe? Cos it's working now

Glad to hear you got it working, although you do not really need zone alarm if your PC's have XP service pack 2 installed as this has a firewall built in. There is also microsoft anti-spy you can install to keep out spyware. I used zone alarm for about two weeks once, it blocked everything, and was a right pain, I'll never use it again.

Advertisement