Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit Torrent making Websites Timeout

• 25-03-2006 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

This problem has started happening in the last two weeks or so. Basically, when I run Bit Torrent(azureus client), websites start timing out. It doesn't happen immediately, usually I have torrents running for 15-30 minutes before websites stop working. The thing is it only effects websites - MSN Messenger and PuTTY remain unaffected, and bit torrent itself runs fine too. The second computer on my network also fails to load webpages, and the xbox can't connect to xbox Live either, so it's not limited to this computer. If I close Azureus everything runs again immediately. Then I can load Azureus back up and websites will continue working for about 15 minutes or so till it kicks in again.

I'm on Esat BT with a Zyxel Prestige 623R-T1 modem feeding into a U.S. Robotics 802.11g Wireless Router (USR5462) which my computers are wired to. This started happening about 2 weeks ago and to the best of my knowledge I never changed anything with my set up to provoke it.
    E:\Documents and Settings\Ste>tracert www.google.com

Tracing route to www.l.google.com [66.249.93.104]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.2.1
      2     8 ms     2 ms     1 ms  192.168.1.1
      3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      7    85 ms    29 ms    19 ms  213.242.106.133
      8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     10     *       74 ms    60 ms  so-2-0.metro2-londencyh00.London1.Level3.net [21
    2.113.0.117]
     11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     12     *        *      171 ms  72.14.238.240
     13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     16     *      214 ms   295 ms  72.14.232.141
     17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     20     *        *       83 ms  66.249.93.104

Trace complete.

E:\Documents and Settings\Ste>ping www.google.com

Pinging www.l.google.com [66.249.93.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.249.93.104: bytes=32 time=91ms TTL=241
    Reply from 66.249.93.104: bytes=32 time=73ms TTL=241
    Reply from 66.249.93.104: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=241
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 66.249.93.104:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 54ms, Maximum = 91ms, Average = 72ms

E:\Documents and Settings\Ste>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.136.250] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 82.195.136.250: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 82.195.136.250:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 1, Lost = 3 (75% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 19ms

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

The problem is Zyxel Prestige 623R-T1 modem. It has great difficulty handling simultaneous connections to a large number of discrete IP's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Lower your maximum upload settings in Azureus and see if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Cap your upload in azureus to something a bit lower than your max upload.

EG. if you have 256k upload, cap it to 22k or so
    if you have 300k upload, cap it to 28

etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'd already thought of that and dropped it to 15k with no luck. Thought I'd go further today and dropped it to 5k though and so far so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I'd defo blame the ZyXel then. I had that same one before.

I had to turn it off then on again after using torrents, or else it would be adding ~50ms to my pings. Nothing quite as severe as you're getting, but it realyl wasn't a happy camper with torrents.

I replaced it with a spare eircom wireless one that a friend had. Torrents worked much better, pings were lower, connection dropped much less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Hmm interesting. Even at 5k up it still seemed to be causing problems. I might look into a different modem then, would anyone have a recommendation considering I already have a wireless router so i just need something simple and reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Well i use azureus and i cant browse web while downloading,happned when i was with esat bt and also now with magnet.Lowered upload it dosent help.
    Azureus is java baised so,i think it win98 and java,cos im on win 98,only thing i can put it down to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

If your running Win98 then your computer must be very dated and the memory hogging of Azureus may be a significant problem.

Try out Bitcomet as it required far less resources than Azureus!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

As per others:

Limit your upload
    Pause when surfing - run when asleep (definitely broadband only)
    Download torrent client with smaller footprint (azreus is crazy) - I recommend bittornado

http://www.bittornado.com/download.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Are you sure your probem isn't with peer guardian or similar software?
    It's surprising some of the routing involved in reaching ordinary web-sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

If (as someone suggested) the problem lies with the Zyxel's inability to handle many simultaneous connections, limiting the bandwidth is not addressing the issue.

Limit the amount of connections instead. In my Azerus setting, the max connections is set to 50 per torrent and 200 overall. Try reducing that number. Take note of the number of peers connected when you start noticing the problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

I have the same router but use Bit Tornado for torrents and don't normally get any problems with web sites loading. However anytime my daughter uses MSN I find I can't open any websites when she logs off. I find if I wait about half an hour that I can access the web again, however if I reboot I can get back on straight away. I don't know what causes this but I'm suspect of MSN as it only occurs when the Mesenger is used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

Cap your upload speed to something like 1k or 2k.

Anything over 5k is going to kill your browsing speed for web browsers.

I have the same problem.

Download uTorrent as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

As a matter of interest, is this down to router h/w or upload contention? I have the same behaviour on NTL. If I leave upload unreigned, download goes to ****e. But if I cap it, download performs better. I guess it's down to upstream ACK's on the download. I'm using a Belkin router.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm using BitComet on a BT 3Mg connection with standard Z router and have my uploads capped to 20k, no problems whatsoever with browsing, generally taking 100k to 300k depending on the file/seed/peer etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Don't be to hasty changing your modem. I seem to have the same problem with Azureus, as some people here. No browsing but everything else is fine.

Advertisement