Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend Premiership fixtures ( may contain scores )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

it will wait for the replay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boro - Bolton

Boros recent pick up in form continues as they lead Bolton 2-1 going towards half time.

Mike.

Boro 3-1 up another from Hasselbaink

Mike.

Charlton 1 - 1 Newcastle

D Bent and Parker

er Charlton 2 -1 Newcastle.

Mike.

Bolton peno

boro 3 2 Bolton.

Mike.

Good grief, Bolton have equalised.

Mike.

Holy Crap! Boro in added time. Boltons chance of finishing 4th has just taken a big knock.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This was just an incredible game, really impressive attacking from both sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Can't wait to see it tonight. Fair play to Boro. Bolton have a tough trip to United next weekend too. Today's loss is a big dent in their hopes for fourth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Brilliant game between boro and bolton. saw parkers goal on sky, great strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Great free kick from Giggsy after 2 minutes against Birmingham.
    I can't help but feel for Brucey.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

2-0 to man u now. Giggs again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

A brilliant goal it was too.

What a move for that second goal. Brilliant pass and run. There are buckets of goals in this for United if they are clinical on the break!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Rooney is woeful sell sell sell:D :D:D

• Advertisement

Ruud on for Saha.
    Let's hope he can convert some of the chances. The game is really peetering (Sp?) out.

Rooney scores.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Rooney scores.

Mike.
    Should have been his hat trick.

Brum are as good as gone, Chelsea next.

1 Chelsea----31
    2 Man Utd----30----66
    3 Liverpool---32
    4 Tottenham-30
    5 Blackburn---31----52
    6 Arsenal
    30----50
    7 Bolton
    29----48
    8 Wigan
    31----46
    9 West Ham--30
    10 Everton
    31----43
    11 Charlton
    31----42
    12 Man City----31
    13 Newcastle---31----39
    14 Middlrough---30----37
    15 Fulham
    16 Aston Villa---31
    17 West Brom---30
    18 Birmingham---30----24
    19 Portsmouth--30
    20 Sunderland--31

Mike.

I wouldn't mind if Blackburn signed one or two of their players. Jermain Pennant is a good winger and I'd love to see David Dunn back at Ewood on a pay-as-you-play deal.

• Advertisement

Pennant was very good today in fairness to him. He looked frustrated though as there was very little movement ahead of him after he would beat a man/hold up the ball etc. He could have been decent if he stayed at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

First half United were fantastic. Second half they were terrible. Giggs played well and good goals too. Saha was awful, I really hope RVN is back mid week.

I just realised the gap between top and bottom is 68 points!! :eek:

Mike.

Saha didn't play well today at all. Park was quite poor, was confusing. Richardson didn't play well at all.
    Ronaldo I thought had a ok game, it coulda been much better if Saha had given it to him at the right times. Good to see him get an assist at the end, I think he deserved it.

Overall, United played well in the first half, didn't finish better, and in the second half they were crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

andrewie wrote:
    Brilliant game between boro and bolton. saw parkers goal on sky, great strike.

It was a wonderful goal, vintage Parker. I'll upload it in a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

rooney should have had a hatrick, a couple of decent chances were flagged off side, so all in all we could have scored 7 had everything gone for us :D

and we didnt even play great. first 20mins was nice and crisp, triangles and off the ball runs. just faded after that.

a 3-0 win, "with gears in hand" as gray called it, ain't a bad result.

you gotta wonder what happened to birmingham of 2 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I just saw Drogba's interview. :)
    "Yes, sometimes I dive, sometimes I go down."
    "No, I don't dive, I just play my game."

Also, Rob Styles' love of brandishing a red card never ceases to amaze me. It didn't look like Distin was exactly hurling abuse at him, and as captain he is allowed to speak to the referee. Really harsh.

Spures are losing at home to West Brom. Come on WBA. A loss for Spurs tonight would put a huge dent in their hopes for fourth. Mido's on the bench again.

They had a very bad run when he went to the African Cup of Nations and whatever is going on at White Hart Lane they need to try and get him on the pitch, whether there are problems or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Equalizer for spurs Robbie Keane with a cheeky lob. They're playing 3-4-3 now and are going all out for the win. COME ON YOU SPURS!

Pighead wrote:
    Equalizer for spurs Robbie Keane with a cheeky lob. They're playing 3-4-3 now and are going all out for the win. COME ON YOU SPURS!

How's Mido doing since he came on?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Mido nearly scored with his first touch and has done okay since. Spurs were playing some really good stuff up until the goal (which was a peach) but then stepped off the gas and WBA have started to try and play again.

Lemlin wrote:
    How's Mido doing since he came on?
    Don't know to be honest. At work so I'm following it on BBCs website. Hasn't got too involved according to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ahhh god no , let the goal stand the keeper has had a bloody cracking game.

West brom keeper made a boo boo let defoe in on open goal dragged him down, Mido tapped in.

peno and red card has to be if it s peno

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

No red card and peno scored by keane.

If it was a peno had to be red.

kdjac

Yeeeessssssss.keane You Beauty.if Your Name Was Roberta I'd Ride You Sideways.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Christ on a bike, that was tough viewing!

West Brom deserved something from that game, no question. My blood pressure can't take another seven games like that until the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

felt gutted for west brom, very unfortunate considering all the chances they had after keanes first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Keane's first goal was brilliant, can't believe people still question him.

Christ on a bike, that was tough viewing!

West Brom deserved something from that game, no question. My blood pressure can't take another seven games like that until the end of the season.

What's the deal with Mido? Is he going to be on the bench for the last 7 games? If he is, I definitely can't see Spurs making the CL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Lemlin wrote:
    What's the deal with Mido? Is he going to be on the bench for the last 7 games? If he is, I definitely can't see Spurs making the CL.

Jol said b4 the game that he was ill during the week and that since we had a good win against Brum he didnt see the need to risk Mido. But I agree the team is weaker w/o him ... we continued to play long balls to the front even though we had no one to win the ball in the air thus putting ourselves under constant pressure for the first 30 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i agree. we are much better with mido in the squad. but as much as i think defoe is a great player, i feel that he goes missing for too long in the game. his work rate is not near robbies work rate, but then he goes and pops up with a crucial goal, or creates a goal like he did last night, and against birmingham.

but id prefer to have the bigger player like mido than defoe. if we are looking for a new striker, id like to see defoe sold over anyone else, and mido signed premanently and another good strong forward. torres will do nicely :)

defoe just goes missing for far too long. and its hard to play with 10 men for half a game.

apart form that, my sympathies to wst brom. i thought they out played us for much of the first half. matched us in the second, and again were the architects of their own destruction.
    but i thought while spurs didnt look spectacular, they played well, looked pretty solid and its good to churn out a win when you really dont deserve it. we find ourselves doing that more often than not at the moment. when we are on fire, its fabulous, but when we need to get the head down, we do it. weve become a hard team to beat. and most of our defeats this year have come from bloody marvelous goals (and im thinking of kevin nolan for bolton, kanu for west brom and gallas for chelsea here)

but christ, the run into the end of the season is becoming very stressful! i love it. i think who ever goes through now is definately going to deserve it.
    eh lemlin, even blackburn ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

but christ, the run into the end of the season is becoming very stressful! i love it. i think who ever goes through now is definately going to deserve it.
    eh lemlin, even blackburn ;)

nice of you to admit that, because Blackburn are definately going to take it from ye ;):p

nah its Arsenal with the last game! :p

Mike.

nice of you to admit that, because Blackburn are definately going to take it from ye ;):p

if they do, then fair dues. like i said, its a very exciting run in.

now if only there could be some *freak*accidents a ta few training grounds aroun bolton, highbury, and bolton....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

if they do, then fair dues. like i said, its a very exciting run in.

now if only there could be some *freak*accidents a ta few training grounds aroun bolton, highbury, and bolton....

true, because bolton are double the danger ;)

nah i know what you meant, hehe :)

• Advertisement

i agree. we are much better with mido in the squad. but as much as i think defoe is a great player, i feel that he goes missing for too long in the game. his work rate is not near robbies work rate, but then he goes and pops up with a crucial goal, or creates a goal like he did last night, and against birmingham.

I thought the same until quite recently but not any more. We don't "need" a big man for knock downs, we are over-reliant on Mido. Keane and Defoe work as a partnership but only if we play to their strengths. Knocking longs balls up to the two of them for the 1st 30 minutes against WBA was nonsense, more so because we had Davids on the left side of midfield and Lennon out of position on the right. When we put Lennon on the left he linked with Lee to good effect, we had a much better shape and caused WBA a lot of problems.

The problem with long balls to Mido is that 9 times out of 10 we lose possession and put ourselves under more pressure. We get pushed back, defend too deep and conceed late goals as a result. West Ham @ WHL, away to Fulham, Sunderland and Chelsea all spring to mind.

Our other problems on Monday night were a poor showing from the CBs, Carrick having another bad game (By his standards) and Davids should not have been on the pitch. He's a liability, hasn't returned to his pre-Xmas form, he's off pace and his tackling is suffering.

mike65 wrote:
    nah its Arsenal with the last game! :p

Mike.

Don't think it will matter, after last night I've a sinking feeling they'll win the CL and qualify anyway...:(

You know what'd be really really funny, if Arsenal won the CL, but Spurs came 3rd, Liverpool 4th, and Liverpool went to the UEFA cup :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yeah and Man Utd WIN THE LEAGUE!!!!! LOL!!!!!1111

:):D:):D

I thought the same until quite recently but not any more. We don't "need" a big man for knock downs, we are over-reliant on Mido. Keane and Defoe work as a partnership but only if we play to their strengths. Knocking longs balls up to the two of them for the 1st 30 minutes against WBA was nonsense, more so because we had Davids on the left side of midfield and Lennon out of position on the right. When we put Lennon on the left he linked with Lee to good effect, we had a much better shape and caused WBA a lot of problems.

The problem with long balls to Mido is that 9 times out of 10 we lose possession and put ourselves under more pressure. We get pushed back, defend too deep and conceed late goals as a result. West Ham @ WHL, away to Fulham, Sunderland and Chelsea all spring to mind..

oh, i dont think we need another bog man to knock balls down. i think mido can do that, but i also think he is a very talented individual regardless of how he gets the ball. however, you can pick a little fella like defoe to do a knock down roll. you can get him to play a wide role. you cant ask him to do anything that means he will be needed as a constant presense on the pitch for 90 minutes.
    all you can ask him to is be a target man. and he is very very very good at it.

on the other hand, robbie keane is excellent in all of those areas (except being the big man of course). i think my point was really id like to see a better all round forward in the club over defoe. so that we can play any combintation of this player, keane and mido.

maybe rooney wants to join :)
    Our other problems on Monday night were a poor showing from the CBs, Carrick having another bad game (By his standards) and Davids should not have been on the pitch. He's a liability, hasn't returned to his pre-Xmas form, he's off pace and his tackling is suffering.

and i said exactly the same thing during the game. we got some really big showings from davids in the first half of the season. dont know whats happened, but we arent getting them anymore. and i think it means that carrick is getting pulled out of position to do additional tracking an tackling. i dont think that carrick has been having bad play per se, just that he has additional responsibilities with davids not playing up to his usual standards.

personally, id prefer to have lennon, carrick, jenas and tainio in midfield. i think its our most effective middle and we play some incredible freeflowing football. murphy, reid and huddlestone can play there as well as davids. although, from ewhat ive been hearing, huddlestone has grown in the centre of the park this season.

by the way, we are only 1 point from winning the southern reserve leagues.
    looks like we get to play man utd :)

but until davids is back to his tenacious form, id rather not have him in the side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement