Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Questions to ask when buying a 2nd hand car

Options
  • 25-03-2006 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Apollogies if this was asked before, but reading the thread with the Micra deprecciation and taking into account I've paid deposit for a 2nd hand vw golf,
    I am wondering, what questions should I ask the guy when I hand in the banker's draft.

Oviously I asked as much as I could before agreeing to buy it, but for instance didn't ask about wether it was in an accident and he can say you didn't ask, so I don't have to tell you.

What else ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

oli_ro wrote:
    Apollogies if this was asked before, but reading the thread with the Micra deprecciation and taking into account I've paid deposit for a 2nd hand vw golf,
    I am wondering, what questions should I ask the guy when I hand in the banker's draft.

Oviously I asked as much as I could before agreeing to buy it, but for instance didn't ask about wether it was in an accident and he can say you didn't ask, so I don't have to tell you.

What else ?

Some threads on here recently regarding people having difficulties getting garages to honor warranties.

I would get in writing the duration of the warranty you are getting with the car and a description of what is covered under that warranty. It it written on paper with the garage's letter heading on it and signed by the salesperson and the date.

Another one is ask if the car has been serviced and verify when the last time the timing belt (if it has one) has been changed. If it is due a change then make this a condition of the sale.

Verbal agreements are usually not worth the paper they are written on. Alot of salespeople are your best friend when buying a motor but develope a severe case of memory loss when you return to them with a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Ask can you have the name and address of the previous owner and their phone number.

If he mumbles about privacy you can point out politely that it will be on the old licencing cert anyhow, and a telephone number is normally public information.

Ask for a printout of work done to the car, if that is where it was serviced from new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If I was buying a car privately I would insist on the following, if either are not availble I would walk away...

Log book must be present and also with the seller named as current owner, verify this with a passport or driving license.
    Check that the car has no finance outstanding on it, your bank should be able to check this out for you as if you buy the car and there is finance outstanding the cost is passed onto you.
    Stamped dealer service history, if this is not available I would accept receipts for work done.
    I would also check the tyres are not mixed brands, this is a sign of poor maintenance and someone who cuts corners.(both front being same or both back being same would be ok).
    Check the spare wheel and tools are present.

Advertisement