Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squeaky brakes - make it stop!!

• 25-03-2006 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭

I posted a thread like this back in the olden days when there was just a motors form for all of us so I hope its ok to post it in here now!! Anyhoos my bike is 3 months old and my front (disk) break is squeaking and driving me insane!! :( I've taken off the caliper, removed the pads, cleaned them, sanded them with fine paper and then put copper grease at the back and on the pin. It was a bit better for 2 days but now it's as loud as ever. The wear on the pads looks fine and there's no glazing that I can see. I think it's def vibrations because there's no squeak if i push the bike and test the brake when the engine is off... Any ideas gurus?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Mine get squeaky when its wet, they seem ok after a couple of days of dry weather. Perhaps thats it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Nah they're squeaky all the time!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

defo teh brakes? speedo thingy could be jammy, but prolly not that loud

I'm no bike mechanic but did you check there wasn't a small mouse stuck in the brake caliper ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

have you cleaned the pistons & the rear of the calliper in behind the pistons? & copper greased the sliders?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

What madrab said

I'll try that this evening!! Thanks guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

Try a different compound pad. Some bikes really aren't suited to sintered pads and the like. Try organic if thats what you're using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

tk123 wrote:
    I'll try that this evening!! Thanks guys!
    What about the brake disk it's self. Anything out of the norm? Rust or damage that might be causing it?

Everything looks fine as far as I can see(in my limited experience)! It's doing my head in thou!! I'm going to try what madrab said and see what happens - I gave it a good clean the last time and it quietened down for maybe a day it's gotten louder since.. :(

• Advertisement

It wouldn't be that when you took the brakes off the first time, you didn't tighten them enough when putting them back on would it? Just a thought, but it may be causing a missalinement when you brake.

I've had them off twice now and the wear on them looks even enough... did you get many applicants there sutty? :p

usually squeeks are caused by one of the pistons sticking out & not moving back in or a buils up of brake pad dust (so you might want to clean the grooves of the brakepadsto get any dust out of them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

some makes of brakes can just squeak. Do they they always squeak or is it just when they're cold? Could your disks be warped? Your brakes will feel like they pulse if they are warped. Have you checked the thickness of the disks? Is it just the one break or both of them? Does the sound change with hard or light breaking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

I'd say drop it into a shop and ask them to check your wheel bearings. Sounds (pun not intended) like they've broken up and are shearing around inside.

tk123 wrote:
    I've had them off twice now and the wear on them looks even enough... did you get many applicants there sutty? :p

All applicants are in a strictly biker/totty privacy policy :cool:

I'd say drop it into a shop and ask them to check your wheel bearings. Sounds (pun not intended) like they've broken up and are shearing around inside.

Could that really happen to a 3 month old bike thou? :eek:

It could if the lube/grease dried out. But it's very unlikely. I take it you have gone for your first service already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

get a set of ear plugs, youll never have to worry about them again

i doubt it is the wheel bearings but oyu can check them really quickly by dropping out the front wheel & putting your finger into the bearing & tirn it, if it rotates really smoothly then they are fine, if it feellike they are rough (as in feels like there is a load of sand in them) them they need to be replaced

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Apply a liberal amount of WD-40 and hey-presto, squeak is gone :p .
    Seriously though, I'd change the pads and see if that makes any difference.
    Someone told me one time of some Renault cars coming with very squeaky front brakes that were cured by replacing the pads with aftermarket ones - worth a try...

I'll prob jinx myself but so far so good - I took the pads off yesterday gave them a sand and clean and then realised that the shims/covers/whatever they're called on the back of the pads clip off(duh)..I took them off and put a layer of copper grease on each one(between the back of the pad and the shim), replaced them and put another layer of CG on the back. So far it's working a treat!! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

go on the copper grease!

just be careful not to use too much copper grease, you only need the smallest layer to be effective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭japanpaul

BigCon wrote:
    Sad but true, I tried this on my first motorbike to fix squeaky front brakes:o
    It is the kind of mistake you don't make twice!!
    Also, does anyone know of a good beginners book for bike maintenance? Some of the advice on this thread is a bit over my head

if you are looking to learn about bikes, looks up a course on bike maintenance, that are a few around (not many) i did a couple in skerries, co. dublin, & im currently doing a motorcycle mechanic night course in DIT bolton st., that plus having to maintain my bike has taught me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,607 ✭✭✭✭Esel

BigCon wrote:
    Apply a liberal amount of WD-40 and hey-presto, squeak is gone :p ....

I know this is a joke, but just in case some beginner doesn't, and tries it....

Dont try this at home! No, seriously, don't!

Not your ornery onager

BigCon wrote:

Thats a very stupid comment to make and could easily result in someone getting killed. Think before you make comments like that again. If I was a Mod I'd ban you for that.

DO NOT PUT WD40 ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR BREAK PADS OR DISKS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

an while on the subject... never ever ...ever put any o them tyre cleanin aerosol things on ur bike... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

K-TRIC wrote:
    Thats a very stupid comment to make and could easily result in someone getting killed. Think before you make comments like that again. If I was a Mod I'd ban you for that.

THANK GOD, I WAS READING THAT AND THOUGHT THAT CANT BE RIGHT, BUT SINCE I DONT KNOW TO MUCH ABOUT BIKES I SAID NOTHING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

K-TRIC wrote:

Nice bit of selective quoting there K-TRIC - you seem to have left out the "seriously though..." part of my reply.
    I honestly didn't think anyone could be stupid enough to put an oil based lubricnt on brakes, however in hindsight perhaps it wasn't the best joke to make.
    Also, I did offer some practical advice.
    K-TRIC wrote:
    If I was a Mod I'd ban you for that.

You're not a mod, and I hope you never are with that attitude... :p

Advertisement