Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number of Search Results

Options
  • 25-03-2006 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭

I've looked through CP settings and done a search on the subject but I can't seem to find anything on this.

When searching, particularly the New Posts search, is there a way to set the number of results per page you want? For example, currently you get "Showing results 1 to 25 of n" - the only way to get higher than 25 results per page is to edit the URL (add &pp=200). The maximum is 200 results per page, which would be better then clicking Next Page repeatedly IMO.

Is there any way to have the number of results returned a setting, like the way the Number of Posts to Show Per Page is (currently maxed at 40 - but that's a different gripe), so you can set your own default?

Just a thought. :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unfortunately not. Afaik, this is one of the settings hidden away in the super-sekrit Administrators' Control Panel.

Put simply, the more results per page, the longer the page takes to display and the more load on the server. I have found that even on decent servers with zero load, returning 200 or more rows from an SQL query and formatting them into a simple table introduces a noticeable delay in page generation.

Now imagine that on boards.ie's scale, and 50 or 100 results per page multiplied by n users would cause all sorts of speed problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

At the moment the speeds on boards isn't great so that idea is nice in theory but not right now

Advertisement