Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stupid firefox and mozilla and their stupid not working and argh.

Options
  • 25-03-2006 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭

like it says on the tin. firefox was working for me when i got in this morning but after about five minutes it started timing out on me. same for mozilla. logging out and in again doesn't help. i hate stupid internet explorer and the way it clutters up my taskbar. :( help me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You are talking a heap of nonsense.....
    This may have been better in the computers forum......
    What makes you think it is Firefox and Mozilla( thunderbird i assume) fault?
    Perhaps the college network is down..
    Have you tried internet explorer, do sites open up in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

kippy wrote:
    What makes you think it is Firefox and Mozilla( thunderbird i assume) fault?

maybe because they're not working and IE is?

anyway I didn't put it in the computers forum because I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the UCD network.. the technicalities of which I know nothing about.

AND my photocopying card has just gone and stopped working for no obvious reason. oh technology, why must you thwart me.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

At my college I had Firefox on my USB thingymajigger. I would have to change the proxy settings on it for it to work. I got too lazy to do it this year! Ask an admin type person for the settings for your network.

LadyLotts wrote:
    At my college I had Firefox on my USB thingymajigger. I would have to change the proxy settings on it for it to work. I got too lazy to do it this year! Ask an admin type person for the settings for your network.
    it almost always works, this is the thing. it just suddenly stopped right in the middle of me using it this morning. networks baffle me.

• Advertisement

Is there anyone there who can provide some onsite support???

to be honest i wouldn't really be arsed asking computing services to help out.. assuming they're even in on weekends, which i doubt. just wondering if any ucd heads had run into the problem before or had a quick fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

I feel your pain. Now I'm going outside to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pilson

Check to see if the proxy settings are the same in IE and Firefox. In firefox, click tools, options, general, connection settings. Set the proxy to whatever it was in IE....

pilson wrote:
    Check to see if the proxy settings are the same in IE and Firefox. In firefox, click tools, options, general, connection settings. Set the proxy to whatever it was in IE....

i kiss you on the face! mwah mwah mwah. :D ta very much. that would never have occurred to me.

• Advertisement

Nay bother mucker.

So at the end of the day it was you that broke and not firefox.......
    Dumbass.

Charming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I've never really gotten into using Firefox...dunno why just prefer IE!

blondie83 wrote:
    I've never really gotten into using Firefox...dunno why just prefer IE!

Does it not bug you to have loads of different windows open when you are browsing more than one website?
    I would use firefox for the 'tab' feature alone but it is also good for preventing pop-ups, spyware etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

You computer fixing nerds are heartless. :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

it's because UCD's proxy autoconfig script appears not to work occasionally - i can't see why not.

best thing is to go to manual proxy configuration and put in:

proxy.ucd.ie
    port 8484

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Connect wasn't working earlier either. Maybe they're inter-related?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

kippy wrote:
    So at the end of the day it was you that broke and not firefox.......
    Dumbass.

Personal Abuse.

Enjoy your ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

well done peachypants! Theres always a few like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

UCD's network does seem to have some sort of bias towards IE, not sure why. I have Firefox and IE on my laptop, and sometimes when I can't get a connection to the wireless with Firefox, IE works, and I have no idea why. My proxy settings are identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I use FF and I've never had a problem, from all kinds of connections (server,client, wireless).

Are you using a single proxy or using the configuration script? (http://proxy.ucd.ie/proxy.pac)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

That would be the configuration script. Mind you, I'm pretty sure something is a bit screwy with the oul wireless on my laptop too.... no bother at home, but some problems in ucd. No idea what I did to it, but I have screwed around with the laptop a fair bit. Still it's a bit odd that IE works when Firefox doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

The new version of IE has tabbed browsing. I've got the beta version. I actually prefer just opening windows, dunno why, I'm odd like that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Oddly enough I've got linux on my laptop and it always takes ages to get an IP address on the wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

<duplicate post, bugger it anyway>
    Way to ruin my 300th post...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Pythia wrote:
    I actually prefer just opening windows, dunno why, I'm odd like that.
    Hear, hear! I'm too used to the old Alt+Tab to get between windows to changte to Ctrl+Tab now.

Advertisement