Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reading Are Promoted (thanks to ex Cork City player)!

• 25-03-2006 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Reading who have run away with the first division er Championship got the draw they required (with other results going thier way).

Some guy from Cork City, Kevin Doyle who signed for £50,000 last summer has scored the all important goal. Its the Royals first time in the top flight.

Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Well done Reading.

On Sky now celebrating.

?ps Doyles from Wexford :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

And they were going up anyway as the results were going their way. The goal just meant that it was bak in their own hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

yeah doyle is from wexford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He played for Cork City!

Mike.

Yeah he played for st pats too whats your point, doen't make him any less of a wexford man

• Advertisement

Nice edit ;)

kdjac

Oh hell I'm not going to get into an argument on this trivia! Doyle was signed from Cork City not St Pats.

Mike.

lol good edit, i wasn't tryig to have a go i just thought you though he was born in cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

well done to Reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Here here! It'll be a happening town this summer...what with the great music festival that happens every August and Premiership season kicking off...with them involved of course!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I think the whole Reading team had something to do with them going up :)

Doyle did play his part though and hopefully he'll get his chance in the PL next season. Reading have a bit of backing when it comes to cash AFAIK so they might sign a striker or two.

Fair play to them. They've been tremendous all year and have every chance of breaking a few first division records still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

mike65 wrote:
    Reading who have run away with the first division er Championship got the draw they required (with other results going thier way).

Some guy from Cork City, Kevin Doyle who signed for £50,000 last summer has scored the all important goal. Its the Royals first time in the top flight.

Mike
    All important goal? I'd say the 14 or so he's scored this season are all more important! :)

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    thats lif in the el there are plenty of good players here but they seem to be over looked, look how everyone on boards went banging on about "LT10" lee trundle. Nobody says a word about the likes or george o'callaghan and co pity

I wonder will Cork City get any money from Reading if he gets sold on for a million or two.

Mike.

Cant see them selling anyone, whoever goes down im sure they be picking the best players from them cheaply.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

According to the City website, City wil get a payment of €30,000 (15k for Long & Doyle) as they were promoted today.

If Doyle is sold on City will also get a percentage of the fee.

Even so City were short changed in that deal.:o

He won't get sold on tho, unless to a much bigger side, as he was their catylyst for much of this season.

i bet city hope he goes for 8mil then instead of shelski it'll be corkski lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

It had to be Doyle who got the goal really, he's done every eL fan proud this year, both in his performances and the way he conducts himself off the field. A genuine nice guy and I don't know anyone with a bad word to say about him.

He hasn't had a rest in 68 games (thats 68 games in 371 days, a proper competitive game every 5.5 days on average)

Read in the paper today that his dad put a lot of money on him to play for Ireland at very long odds, think he got himself a five figure sum! Credit also to Shane Long, Graham Stack and Stephen Hunt, three more Irish lads involved in the promotion push. And all the non-Irish players too of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yep, its great to see Doyle in the premiership, it's gona be him and Keane up front for Ireland for a couple of years I think.
    Reading deserve to be promoted, maybe they could do me a favour, and beat every other team they play to help out brighton, who look on the way down :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yeah, congrats to Doyle. Just goes to show the quality in the LoI that a player can ease himself into the English game and win promotion to their highest division.

Be really interested to see how he gets on in the Premiership.

Hopefully he can become a regular in the Irish team at the expense of that muppet Morrison.

Well in all fairness, he was the best player in the entire league, it doesn't prove a huge amount of quality in LoI

PHB wrote:
    he was the best player in the entire league

How did you manage to jump to this conclusion? Watch much eL football? Typically ignorant response.

PHB wrote:
    Well in all fairness, he was the best player in the entire league, it doesn't prove a huge amount of quality in LoI
    yeah get to many games? best player in the league. Do you know many EL players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

PHB wrote:

NO offence, but as someone who watched Cork City week in week out, Kevin Doyle wasnt even OUR best player never mind the league.

Not saying that he wasn't a handy player:D

Nope, don't get to a lot of LoI games, seen a bit of the teams play on Setanta though. I saw Doyle play twice was the best player I have ever seen play for LoI.
    Maybe there are others players who are better, couldn't tell ya, don't watch the league.

Even still, doesn't prove a huge amount of quality in the league at all.

PHB wrote:
    Nope, don't get to a lot of LoI games, seen a bit of the teams play on Setanta though. I saw Doyle play twice was the best player I have ever seen play for LoI.
    Maybe there are others players who are better, couldn't tell ya, don't watch the league.

Any idea which two games you saw him in?

Have you ever seen Wes Hoolahan play? Zayed? McCourt? Farren? Did O'Callaghan, Gamble or Behan stick out to you while watching Cork? All of the same kind of level as him in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

PHB wrote:

Lies ,

• Advertisement

I've seen bits of Hoolahan, not enough to make any judgement on him as a player.
    The rest I don't remember, I was looking out for Doyle as I'd heard about him.

I think this summer could be really interesting actually for LoI.
    With the success of Doyle in the championship, I can imagine the entire league getting scouted to **** by championship teams looking for decent players for cheap money.

PHB wrote:
    I can imagine the entire league getting scouted to **** by championship teams looking for decent players for cheap money.

Happening for many many years.

Sarge wrote:
    Lies ,

Were you at the match tonight boss? Finally a win for you!

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Any idea which two games you saw him in?

Have you ever seen Wes Hoolahan play? Zayed? McCourt? Farren? Did O'Callaghan, Gamble or Behan stick out to you while watching Cork? All of the same kind of level as him in my opinion.

Wasn't Zayed in England but didn't make the grade? I even think he was with Blackburn.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Lemlin wrote:
    Wasn't Zayed in England but didn't make the grade? I even think he was with Blackburn.

Yeah he was but not sure if he was given much of a chance. He is a very good player and I dont think Bray will be able to hang onto him for much longer.

PHB wrote:
    He wasn't even the best striker - let alone best player. Thats like me going on about who the best player in Legaue 1 or something is - absolutely pointless, cuz I haven't seen many games, and tbh wouldn't have a ****ing clue!

As for pilferring the league, Reading alone have gone nuts! Doyle, Long, Sinnot (Bray) all went to them in the past season. They wanted Bradley (as did Fulham), but credit to the lad - he stayed with Drogheda (and signed a new contract!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Lads, lets not turn this into an eL fan vs televised football debate etc.

My 2 cents are this: Doyle is the best player to play in the eL since Roy Keane. Some of you say he wasnt the best striker etc, but he played about 6 months as a striker, the rest of the time Dolan had him as a right winger.

Doyle is a perfectly rounded player. He can run with the ball, he can take on and beat defenders regularly, he can tackle, can poach, can score the odd thunderbolt, a good header of the ball, can play in the hole and to round it off has the perfect temperament for football. he is not a moaner or a diver. If he is fouled, he doesnt look for the player to be booked, if he himself is booked, he will turn around and get on with it unlike most other profesionals in the world.

So for all the above, he is better than George O Callgahan, Jason Byrne, Wes Hoolahan etc. However thats just my opinion.

Good to see Doylr capping their promotion game with another goal. Glad City will receive a few more bob, and now hope Kevin tears the premiership asunder next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

gimmick wrote:
    Lads, lets not turn this into an eL fan vs televised football debate etc.

My 2 cents are this: Doyle is the best player to play in the eL since Roy Keane. Some of you say he wasnt the best striker etc, but he played about 6 months as a striker, the rest of the time Dolan had him as a right winger.

Doyle is a perfectly rounded player. He can run with the ball, he can take on and beat defenders regularly, he can tackle, can poach, can score the odd thunderbolt, a good header of the ball, can play in the hole and to round it off has the perfect temperament for football. he is not a moaner or a diver. If he is fouled, he doesnt look for the player to be booked, if he himself is booked, he will turn around and get on with it unlike most other profesionals in the world.

So for all the above, he is better than George O Callgahan, Jason Byrne, Wes Hoolahan etc. However thats just my opinion.

Good to see Doylr capping their promotion game with another goal. Glad City will receive a few more bob, and now hope Kevin tears the premiership asunder next season.

i agree. I think GOC has potential too and would do very well in the championship.

COme on joe. You cant honestly think Behan is at the same level as Doyle? No where near it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

now i don;t know much about the EL, though i've been to a few games in my time and live just up the road from Pats, but im trying to get into it. but my question is why haven't these aforementioned players made it to the english leagues. I know about Zayed alright, bit unlucky etc. Is it loyalty or what?
    can someone fill me in?

nurse_baz wrote:
    now i don;t know much about the EL, though i've been to a few games in my time and live just up the road from Pats, but im trying to get into it. but my question is why haven't these aforementioned players made it to the english leagues. I know about Zayed alright, bit unlucky etc. Is it loyalty or what?
    can someone fill me in?

Different people will give different answers. Some will say loyality, other will say there not good enough.

Jason byrne had a chance to go to heerenven but decided against it. Also could of went to brighton i think.

Wes is now at livingston. Not sure if Cork ever had an offer for GOC.

Jason byrne had a chance to go to heerenven but decided against it. Also could of went to brighton i think.

It was Kearney and O'Flynn who were linked with Heerenveen. Jayo was linked with Djurgardens and an offer was made for him, but he decided to stay.

• Advertisement

COme on joe. You cant honestly think Behan is at the same level as Doyle? No where near it.

Not at all, but he's a very decent player. I would have laughed if you said Shane Long would be scoring for Reading as they coasted to the Championship title this time 12 months ago.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    It was Kearney and O'Flynn who were linked with Heerenveen. Jayo was linked with Djurgardens and an offer was made for him, but he decided to stay.

Ah yes djurgardens, that was it.

What happened with kearney anyway? I thought he signed a contract with heerenveen. Then found hes pissed off to shels.

I know theres a thread about it. I am too lazy to find it, so i will jsut let you explain it. :D

Ah yes djurgardens, that was it.

What happened with kearney anyway? I thought he signed a contract with heerenveen. Then found hes pissed off to shels.

I know theres a thread about it. I am too lazy to find it, so i will jsut let you explain it. :D

It looked very close to going through at one stage:

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=346837&CPID=9&clid=&lid=3098&title=Kearney+set+for+Dutch+move

Haven't any idea why he didn't go to Heerenveen, he's been very poor for Shels so far this season.

followed quickly by "hes no weso" lol

Doyle scored again today and Stephen Hunt came on and setup a goal for John Oster.

Doyle scored again today Reading routing Derby and heading for 100 points (95 irc atm).

kdjac

Shane Long just came on for Doyle and scored too! Go on the Reading Irish contingent :)

Long got one now 4-0 :)

kdjac

If lemlin does that again im going to punch him ....:D

kdjac

Hehe, got there just before ya on both counts :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement