Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Queue jumpers and idiots who let them in

• 25-03-2006 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭

I don't know which is worse - drivers who use hard shoulders, bus lanes, right/left turn only lanes etc. to jump queues. Or the dopey idoits that facilitate the queue jumpers by letting them in.

I will do my best to make life as difficult as possible for them. But the whole business does my head in. The worst is when you're in heavy traffic and want to turn left and are waiting patiently to reach the point where the 24/7 bus lane/hard shoulder to your left becomes a left turn lane. You go to move into the lane at the start but find twenty muppets already there undertaking you because they've decided to drive down the bus lane for the previous 100, 500 1000 yards or whatever. I usully try to cut these morons up if possible. The other day I nearly got out to berate some **** on the M50 about this. I wanted to turn off the southbound M50 at Lucan and head into the city, this necessitated me moving into the left turn lane but was blocked because some asshole in a Pajero decided to undertake along a hard shoulder with continuous yellow line and hatch markings. There should be a Garda crackdown on this type of thing. Hand out big fines and generate some revenue for the state!

Also what about the situation where you're on a congested motorway but the exit ramp of an interchange is less congested and you get people exiting off the M-way and them coming straight back on again as it actually saves them time. Nothing illegal about this I suppose but what are people's thought on it. I won't do it on principle and if I spot someone doing it I won't let them merge.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

BrianD3 wrote:

I will do my best to make life as difficult as possible for them. .

Actually this makes you look worse than them. I personally dont like them, but the fact that you would go out of your way (in a block of moving metal I might add) to cause trouble on the road puts you in a far worse light.
    Grow up and live with it, you think you are doing the right thing but all you are doing is being dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Jumpy wrote:
    Actually this makes you look worse than them. I personally dont like them, but the fact that you would go out of your way (in a block of moving metal I might add) to cause trouble on the road puts you in a far worse light.
    Grow up and live with it, you think you are doing the right thing but all you are doing is being dangerous.
    Actually I'm not the one causing trouble, read the post again I never said I'd go "out of my way" to do anything. People bitch about queue jumpers but if you have your wits about you you can make life difficult for them simply by not facilitating them, standing your ground and not allowing yourself to be bullied by them. You don't have to break any laws to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

people in Multiplas and Kangoo cars are usually the worst offenders (for letting people out, never been wronged on the road by one of these!)

Also, northern reg's seem to use bus lanes a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

drive half and half on the hard shoulder and the left lane and they wont be able to get by you, you keep in the proper queue and they will be going as slow as everyone else but doing it in the hard shoulder.

Come april there will be penalty points for using the hard shoulder like this.

I think if people are turning left, it makes sense to go into the hard shoulder earlier than when the line breaks, everyone benefits from this if done with safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I travel from Maynooth to Naas daily and for any of ye who know the junction at Barberstown Castle, know how long a queue you have to wait before turning right towards Clane.

Most queue jumpers here, go up the hard shoulder passing 30-40 cars in the lane to go right, turn left at the junction, pull in about 20-30yds up the road, do a u-turn and away they go. That can be annoying at times.

But yesterday, I was approaching the front of the line to go right, when this idiot in his van, travelling at least 40mph towards the junction on the hard shoulder, passes at least 30 cars on his way and when he gets to the junction, fakes it to turn left and immediately turns right as the car in front of me was pulling out to go right.

Needless to say, he cut him off and sped off down the road.

I took his registration and have been trying to get through to the Garda Traffic Watch number (1890 205 805 for anyone that wants it), most of the day, but keep getting told they are too busy to take my call.

I'll keep trying. Hate BA$TARD$ like that....:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I must admit i've done that at Barberstown Castle.(turned left, then did a U turn down the road) about twice when I was late for work. That junction can take 20 minutes due to idiots dithering.

Also this causing trouble argument amuses me. If you're queuing for a bus and a **** blatantly pushes ahead of you and you say something to him (politely if necessary) are you causing trouble or are you just being assertive, standing up for yourself. Lets say the bus is busy and the last person let on is the person who pushed ahead and now you have to wait 20 minutes for the next bus and are late for work. How would you feel then?

Now if the queue jumper is a knacker with a pitbull then maybe you'd be better off late for work.....Same story on the road. Be assertive but know when being assertive becomes unsafe.

As for queue jumping by takling a left at a T-junction and then turning around IMO that is similar to exiting a busy motorway and coming straight back on again. And driving all the way around a roundabout to take the first exit becasue there's a queue in the left lane. I wouldn't do these things myself but have mixed feelings about those that do and realise that they may not have broken any rules by doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

BrianD3 wrote:
    ..... There should be a Garda crackdown on this type of thing. Hand out big fines and generate some revenue for the state!

Not a crackdown, but constant patrolling.... However, as you know well there is only 1 driving crime in Irl. ie speeding, anything else is not a problem....

Otherwise, write to the Gards Commissioner and tell him get a few of these guys that hang out with radars to focus elsewhere.... however, based on watching some guards drive.... I doubt many them know any better than the cretins you describe.

cormie wrote:
    drive half and half on the hard shoulder and the left lane and they wont be able to get by you, you keep in the proper queue and they will be going as slow as everyone else but doing it in the hard shoulder.
    I wouldn't do this as it involves breaking the law. Driving (half) in the HS to block others in the HS is misguided and makes you almost as bad as them. And if a cop sees you you will be done for it.
    I think if people are turning left, it makes sense to go into the hard shoulder earlier than when the line breaks, everyone benefits from this if done with safety.
    It doesn't make sense unless its the same rules for everyone. If this would improve traffic flow then change the law so that left turning vehicles can use the bus lane/hard shoulder. However until/unless the law is changed, prosecute anyone who queue jumps in this manner.

yeah I know the half and half isn't all that legal, I wasn't condoning (is that the word?) it either, just a way to stop them doing it;)

Well I think something should be done to allow left turners to use the lane. Although I'm sure this would be abused and everyone would use it and hop back into the "middle" lane and their excuse is simple, I thought it was that exit officer:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

The other alternative I have seen here is;
    Make it legal to drive on the shoulder, during rush hour and if within a few hundred yards of the exit. No skipping exits.
    So where it is permitted and not many places, it's well posted (and patrolled).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

This used to do my head in.....particularly heading Northbound between the Ballymount and Naas Rd junction.....people entering the M50 from Ballymount do not try and merge at the soonest time possible (I know this cause I always leave a huge gap in front of me but rarely does anyone take it)...they usually sail up the inside until the ramp of the Naas Road exit and then try to merge at which point I've closed the gap with the car in front of me and bunched up to not let them in.....nearly came to blows with one white van there one day because he actually waited til the off-ramp, crossed the continuous white line and hatching and then tried to merge....it was blatant he was trying to skip so I gave him no space...he edged forward, as did I until I had to give way because he obviously didn't give a **** about his van he was driving but I did care about my car....really got me annoyed though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I have also seen exactly what has been described above as I travel from Balbriggan to the Toll to get to work.

I do find it irritating when people jump the queue and teh new trick of pulling out into the filter lane to try gain some ground.

But the people who then decide to purposely block the queue jumpers by blocking their path prventing them from merging are just as bad. Some people hear have said they almost came to blows over it. This is the attitude and behaviour that causes accidents. I don't condone or encourage people to jump along in the hard shoulder or slip lane, or race to the top to squeeze into tiny spaces and burst out into the overtaking lane. But in fairness it's the job of teh Gardai to inforce teh laws not you.

If it bothers you that much take their reg and report them. Don't take it upon yourself to block them. It's the mentality of "your not getting ahead of me" that causes sooooo many near misses on the motorways. Yes the people should not be moving up the left hand side but at the same time what gives you the right to agrevate the situation by moving into a position to prevent them from entering the lane.

In fainess is one more car infront of you in the carpark that we call the M50 really worth the risk and the agroe? Just let them join the lane calmly take there number and then infrom the Gards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

While its annoying, I have to agree with...
    Kazujo wrote:
    In fainess is one more car infront of you in the carpark that we call the M50 really worth the risk and the agroe? Just let them join the lane calmly take there number and then infrom the Gards.

No need to stress out about it, theres nothing you can do about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I share BrianD3's sentiments totally.

Would you put up with someone jumping the queue at a pass machine, for example? No? I didnt think so. Think about it though, what is the difference?

So, why are these people, who seem to think that other rules should apply to them, tolerated? If some g******e thinks they should use the hard shoulder to gain an advantage on the other poor saps that are waiting their turn, then let them stay on the hard shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm moving this Commuting/Transport as its got sod all to do wih cars really.

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Penalty points for BOTH ?

On my old commute people who tried to cut in usually were on a white box with hatched lines. If someone was to photograph them would the Guards do anything ?

I just can't stand those who think the rules of the road apply to others rather than them, because I assume they probably think the same about the other rules in life. It's the blatentness of it I do not like. I don't mind chancers but I hate cheats.

One day last week I was caught behind a bus at a bus stop. 10 cars passed the bus and I, crossing a solid white line and in to a hatched area to do so. There was oncoming traffic too. If we had decent enforcement of road traffic laws that would an average of one driver disqualified.

have you been reading the papers? The chances of getting done for anything in this country are slim. Basically you are unlucky to get caught for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I never let queue jumpers in. People who freeze and let them bully their way in are almost as annoying. One time approaching the M50 along the N4 eastbound, some twat uses the bus lane (It had taken me a good 10 mins to get as far as I got) and as the bus lane ends (and kerb juts out) the guy was forced back into the lawful stream of traffic. I was the driver he met. He gestured to be let out and I shook my head. He lowered his window and starts giving out. I told him he was a 'very rude and selfish driver'* and he was of course let in a few cars back (thugh fair play to the guy behind me who left about an inch between us to prevent the pr!ck getting in in front of him.

*not exact language used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i try to chill as road rage isnt a good idea but i have to admit that the muppets who let these reprobates in annoy me almost more.....they dont try to push in front of me in my little truck though, although I have to accelerate savagely to try to stop them:) ...what also annoys me is the amount of people weaving from lane to lane......why cant they just get in the lane they need to be in and stay there? they cant gain more than a couple of places surely....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

corktina wrote:
    i try to chill as road rage isnt a good idea but i have to admit that the muppets who let these reprobates in annoy me almost more.....they dont try to push in front of me in my little truck though, although I have to accelerate savagely to try to stop them:) ...what also annoys me is the amount of people weaving from lane to lane......why cant they just get in the lane they need to be in and stay there? they cant gain more than a couple of places surely....
    Indeed and cumulative needless weaving causes knock-on congestion problems as each person is forced to brake when the muppet weaves in front of him.

I think on reflection I hate the queue jumpers a lot more than the ones who let them in. The ones who let them in are generally just dopes whereas I believe the jumpers are inconsiderate **** with a me me me attitude who are laughing at all the "mugs" who are queueing patiently. As Capt' Midnight says, the blatantness of it is so annoying.

Another one that drives me bananas is c*nts who blatantly ignore temp traffic lights at roadworks. This is also a form of queue jumping. What usually happens is the light turns red but 20 morons decide they're going to keep going, often overtaking cars who have stopped for the red light. On the other side of the obstruction drivers with a green light are forced to wait as the morons come through. Sometimes, their green light will have turned red by the time all the traffic has come through :mad: :mad:

There should be a law passed so that queue jumpers can be battered across the head with a 2 foot wheelbrace.

gyppo wrote:
    I share BrianD3's sentiments totally.

Would you put up with someone jumping the queue at a pass machine, for example? No? I didnt think so. Think about it though, what is the difference?....

The difference is the muppet pushing in usually can afford to drive their new merc/company van into you to prove a point. They are thick and ignorant enough to do it.

I try not to let them in, but sometimes they are simply too dangerous. I have seen a few cases of road rage where people (the ones in the wrong I might add) have got out and started a violent assault on the car and the driver blocking them.

A usual spot of it is going down the hill from Thomas street down towards the brazen head. People, especially taxi's just skip the whole queue and nip in at the top. Most guards just ignore it.

Maybe impound their car for a fortnight.

Who's at fault if a car trying to get in bumps into you? I think it's obvious it's them but I could be mistaken. They can bump into my fiesta any time, I'm sure the paintwork damage on their merc would cost 10 times the amount as the foot long dent on my 91 fiesta:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

BrianD3 wrote:
    Also what about the situation where you're on a congested motorway but the exit ramp of an interchange is less congested and you get people exiting off the M-way and them coming straight back on again as it actually saves them time. Nothing illegal about this I suppose but what are people's thought on it. I won't do it on principle and if I spot someone doing it I won't let them merge.
    During "Operation Freeflow":rolleyes: last December the Gardaí were at the Scholarstown interchange on the M50 preventing cars that came up the off-ramp going straight to the on-ramp. The reason was that this traffic caused so much congestion on the approach roads that things came to a standstill. Fair play to the Gardaí - it worked! I really hate idiots on our roads who think they are being smart by using methods such as this to reach their destination 2 or 3 minutes earlier. I agree with Brian 3D - we should all stand our ground and not let these idiots back in by simply not allowing space for them to join the 'correct traffic queue'. I do not believe that we should stoop to their levels though. Ireland is a friendly nation but when some of us get behind the wheel that all goes out the window and obnoxious and sometimes dangerous drivers emerge. Stomp it out. If you are reading this and are one of those drivers will you just cop yourself on and stop being such an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

You know untill today I thought that there is something to this.
    But given the fu*kin awful state of our road signage, people who refuse to let you back into a lane after you've made a mistake (not your fault) are proper cnuts too! :mad:

rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

fletch wrote:
    This used to do my head in.....particularly heading Northbound between the Ballymount and Naas Rd junction.....people entering the M50 from Ballymount do not try and merge at the soonest time possible (I know this cause I always leave a huge gap in front of me but rarely does anyone take it)...they usually sail up the inside until the ramp of the Naas Road exit and then try to merge at which point I've closed the gap with the car in front of me and bunched up to not let them in.....nearly came to blows with one white van there one day because he actually waited til the off-ramp, crossed the continuous white line and hatching and then tried to merge....it was blatant he was trying to skip so I gave him no space...he edged forward, as did I until I had to give way because he obviously didn't give a **** about his van he was driving but I did care about my car....really got me annoyed though!

Actually this makes perfect sense!! If people are forced to stop and wait to merge then the traffic who actually do want to go to the red cow are stuck. If people wait to merge later on where the road is wide enough to allow both then there is less of a problem...
    Not to mention the fact there is nothin illegal about it... there is no law that i know of (and i could be mistaken) that says you have to merge as soon as you can.. that is not the way that junction is designed so its only in certain peoples heads that this is wrong and YOU end up breaking the law by trying to prevent people merging!!

What wrecks my head is idiots who wait untill they see a gap before putting on their indicators rather than just INDICATING that the wish to move lane.

• Advertisement

In the mornings I use Mercer St Upper to get on to Cuffe Street. It used to be no problem getting out. But the've made a cycle line of one entire lane on Stephens Green Sth, (for the 5 or so cyclists that use it) and one lane on cuffe str is left turn only. So now 99.9% of traffic, probably a few thousand cars all have to squeeze though 4 or 5 lights all in one lane where there were two lanes before. The result is the traffic backs up beyond Kevin Street and no one lets you in. So getting out on Mercer St Upper requires you to physically force your way in.

The result is people get so pissed off the go up the other lane skipping the queue. Occasionally they get stopped at the top by a copper. But I don't blame those guys, I blame the morons who changed the road layout.

crosstownk wrote:
    What wrecks my head is idiots who wait untill they see a gap before putting on their indicators rather than just INDICATING that the wish to move lane.

Takes too much time to indicate. Just lunge for the gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

crosstownk wrote:

But then you got the guys who won`t let you change lane...:confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Saruman wrote:
    Actually this makes perfect sense!! If people are forced to stop and wait to merge then the traffic who actually do want to go to the red cow are stuck. If people wait to merge later on where the road is wide enough to allow both then there is less of a problem...
    Not to mention the fact there is nothin illegal about it... there is no law that i know of (and i could be mistaken) that says you have to merge as soon as you can.. that is not the way that junction is designed so its only in certain peoples heads that this is wrong and YOU end up breaking the law by trying to prevent people merging!!

I join the M50 every evening from Ballymount and generally try merge as soon as possible but I agree with you in that really there is no reason why you can't merge further up. What prevents me though is that I know that I prob wont get in and I cant get into the bully my way in thing. Even further back it can be a struggle to get in.

I equally hate the queue jumpers and don't make it easy for them to get in but I certainly wouldnt play chicken with them either. I know this is not illegal but I hate the way when driving Northbound on the M50 through the toll bridge cars actually make their way from the far left lane over to the merge lane from the easy pass to jump ahead a bit - this is when the traffic is at a stand still when you actually get through the toll bridge. God I hate the M50, takes 3 hours of my life every day!!!

I'm only driving about 10 years but its amazing to see how much more aggressive its become and much less of a pleasure. Or is it just me?!

Felixdhc wrote:
    I'm only driving about 10 years but its amazing to see how much more aggressive its become and much less of a pleasure. Or is it just me?!

Nah I've driving a bit longer, but its the same for me. I hate driving in this country now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Yep, agree with you .... used to love driving but more and more it is becoming tiresome due to ever-increasing abundance of idiot drivers. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Felixdhc wrote:

I've noticed it over the last six years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

And how do you distinguish between a queue jumper and someone who has made a mistake? It's all well and good giving out about people squeezing back in, but on the day you make a mistake and need to squeeze in as a result, and nobody lets you, you'll be whinging about nobody letting you in. I think drivers are generally giving other drivers the benefit of the doubt.

Of course if they don't bother to indicate their intention, that's just dangerous and rude so you can't be necessarily expected to be accomodating.

MicraBoy wrote:
    And how do you distinguish between a queue jumper and someone who has made a mistake? It's all well and good giving out about people squeezing back in, but on the day you make a mistake and need to squeeze in as a result, and nobody lets you, you'll be whinging about nobody letting you in. I think drivers are generally giving other drivers the benefit of the doubt.

Of course if they don't bother to indicate their intention, that's just dangerous and rude so you can't be necessarily expected to be accomodating.
    Given the frequency of this behaviour I'd be reluctant to think that so many people make mistakes. If it is the case that all these people are making mistakes, then things are worse than I thought.

It's usually pretty easy to distinguish between genuine mistakes and queue jumping because the queue jumping is blatant and aggressive. Eg if a car has just driven up a bus lane for the past 2 miles and then pushes in when it ends that's not a mistake.

Also, anyone who drives the same route in Dublin every day will see the same c*nts pulling the same sh1t day in, day out. I used to be on the Lucan bypass a lot and I'd see the same assholes in the HS every single morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BrianD3 wrote:
    Driving (half) in the HS to block others in the HS is misguided and makes you almost as bad as them. And if a cop sees you you will be done for it.
    Makes you looks as bad to whom? every other driver will be saying "fair play to yer man". If the cop sees you I would expect a wink and a wry smile as he books the bastard behind you.

At whites cross they pull people in turning up to sandyford who are in the bus lane. They are there a lot but the cops often simply turn a blind eye to the huge amount of people who still are breaking the law by crossing a full line, before the broken crossing line. This really pisses me off (not much now since I cycle), but I have thought of saying it to them when on the bike. When driving I see them ahead and do not attempt to cross until the broken line, but I cannot get in because the cops allow all the other cars in illegally in front of me!

but on the day you make a mistake and need to squeeze in as a result, and nobody lets you, you'll be whinging about nobody letting you in.
    I would just accept my mistake and go the legal non jumping longer route, it may take me a lot longer but it was MY mistake and others should not have to suffer because of it. If you knew you were not going to be let in you would be more careful and most of these mistakes would not happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

MicraBoy wrote:
    And how do you distinguish between a queue jumper and someone who has made a mistake?

If it was on a motorway, I would drive to the next exit, and take an alternative route, or go back around to the exit I was ment to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Sherlock

I think mistakes generally occur on suburban roads where advance signage can be dire. If you're in an area you're not familiar with you can easily find yourself in a lane designated left or right turn when you want to go straight on.
    Motorways usually have decent signage and queue jumpers are rife. Approaching the toll bridge from the north you'll often find cars going into the slip lane from Blanchardstown to skip the queue.
    Scenario I saw on the M50 yesterday....I'm in the inside lane approaching Ballymount. On my left wing mirror I see a 4 X4 undertaking at speed on the hard shoulder. On my right wing mirror theres an artic indicating to come behind me. Parked on the hard shoulder I see a lorry parked. At the last minute the artic notices the 4 X 4 and stays in the outside lane allowing it to get behind me and speed off. Mad b*stard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Finally got through to Traffic Watch this afternoon and made my complaint...:D

Advertisement