Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Georgia then Ukraine now Belarus

Options
  • 25-03-2006 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

There seems to be some sort of pattern developing.

After dubious election results (endorsed by Moscow) which a hard man wins, opposition leaders are arrested and followers take to the streets.

The EU are imposing sanctions what happens next and will the Ruskies ever just allow an ex subordinate to find its own way without meddling?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Its terrible...it seems that these ex-Communist nations will never be at rest. Its been nearly 15 years since the vast majority of these nations broke free of the then USSR...seemingly they're finding it hard to be drawn into the cosmopolitan Europe of modern times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Determined2005

Russia needs to stop meddling. However I understand that Lukashenko probably is genuinely popular outside of Minsk because pensions and wages are paid on time (because of Russian subsidies) and the country gets cheaper gas from the Russians for toeing the line with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

Don't forget Kyrgzstan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

I agree that Lukashenka is indeed popular with the people outside Minsk but some of those people also thought it was better when STALIN was in charge !!

In Ukraine Vikto Yanukovich was very popular in the Eastern and Southern Ukraine, but we all know how that turned out.

I think that in the future, when Lukashenka's voter base of Elderly People die off there will be a massive change in Belarus's political system, thats as long as Putin dosen't get his way and have Belarus become a province of russia, as he has tried in the past, but which Lukashenka stopped once he realised that he would only be a provincial governer and not a president for life any more.

Advertisement