Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in the Hole

Options
  • 25-03-2006 7:12pm
    Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Was anyone around for the fire "evacuation" in the library today? It was the funniest thing I've seen since I came to UCD. Most people either gathered up all of their things, and packed them away into their bag and brought them out (like me), or just stayed put until everyone else had been cleared out and brought back in again.

I really hope there are never any real fires in UCD.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i want there but it sounds funny:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

i would have pushed nice old library attendant out of the way as i trampled over her to get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

God it was classic!

The guy who announced an evacuation was so indistinct that only a few people understood him and word just spread amongst the students!

When some people (a fair number) decided to stay, no-one went around to check people were leaving!

Good god, I hope we never have fire... then again, we'll be ok, sure there's nothing flammable in there anyway!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

was there actually a fire anywhere at all or did they just decide to do it for the hell of it?

Librocop's Revenge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

During a fire drill in Trinity a while back a significant number of one of a kind books went missing. The staff can't stop someone evacuating, even if the security alarm rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I was one of the few who got left behind. As hullaballoo and The Van dilligently left their study stations beside me, I failed to comprehend the announcement and sat around having a good old chin wag with a couple of friends. Lucky it wasn't for real.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

gilroyb wrote:
    During a fire drill in Trinity a while back a significant number of one of a kind books went missing. The staff can't stop someone evacuating, even if the security alarm rings.

Interesting...
    *Goes searching for rare books in library...*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Was anyone around for the fire "evacuation" in the library today? It was the funniest thing I've seen since I came to UCD. Most people either gathered up all of their things, and packed them away into their bag and brought them out (like me), or just stayed put until everyone else had been cleared out and brought back in again.

I really hope there are never any real fires in UCD.
    Guess I was in an hour too late, there have been a couple late at night some weeks back but I'm uninclined to move unless I can hear screems of terror or smell smoke...

i guess in that situation one could help themselves to some laptops and or books? All you can carry kinda thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

unsurprisingly, Apathy is one of the biggest killers in Building fires.

I used to be precisely one of the people who would collect all my things etc when a fire alarm went off. I then became a fire officer at work, had to to the training with the Local Fire Brigade and saw what can happen. Not pleasant, and the stories you hear (and see some details to back up) are quite scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

I arrived only ten minutes before the alarm sounded and was just settling in, but eventually I resolved to leave. I was about to head down the escalator from the science floor when this metal barrier suddenly shut it off! Unlike most people I neglected to bring any of my stuff with me, so I ended up standing outside in the rain with only my t-shirt with nothing to do! I should have stayed put and ignored like all Irish people usually do!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Blackjack wrote:
    unsurprisingly, Apathy is one of the biggest killers in Building fires.

I could have sworn it was the blazing hot fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

Sangre wrote:

Usually smoke inhalation is the greatest threat...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Sangre wrote:

I'm sure you get what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Sangre, Samos, for shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Who says natural selection no longer applies? I've done fire training for work also. What happens when the alarm goes off usually is some people leave according to plan. The rest wait until there is visible evidence of fire like smoke, flames etc and then all try to leave in a rush causing panic, stampedes, crush injuries, jams at emergency exit and so on. This is when deaths from smoke inhalation often occur as people are stuck inside at the exits and people aren't moving away from the building to make space. Basically, if you can see smoke and flames its verging on too late for escape. Why take the chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Sangre wrote:
    :D
    The smoke too, don't forget the smoke.

Advertisement