Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running oblivion

Options
  • 25-03-2006 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

running oblivion

hi guys i currently have

1g ram

ATI Radeon X600 pci-e card

350w psu

what would the best upgrades for this system beto play this game
    budget would be around €200 mainly on the card.
    suggestions please.

game runs with most of the features turned down want to hike them up.

ive been told the 7600gt nvidia card would be the best for the price range everyone agree?

can people post there specs and how well the game runs
    detail settings, fps, resolution etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The 7600GT it a great card for the price, you'd probably get away with medium settings at around 30fps with the odd drop. My brother is currently playing it on a AMD64 3500+, 1 gig RAM and a 256MB 6600 (not gt)

With all settings around medium he gets the odd sub 20 drop but it's pretty playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

what resolution is he running at?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

/me hugs his radeon x850xt

He was running it at 1360x768, his TV's res :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

1280x1024, Everything maxed bar no shadows outside and the grass turned right off (it just gets in the way when wildlife is after you...). Busy fights in the oblivion layers can drop to 20fps, most open ground city areas hover around 40FP, caves 60FPS. Athlon64 3900, 1.5Gb of ram, ATI X800 Pro.

• Advertisement

@ _CreeD_ do u get much slow down just cannot decide on a new card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

i have an x700, why cant i enable HDR, it's a HRD capable card

Do you have any AA settings on? Both cannot be used together.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

You didn't mention what CPU you're using?

A video card upgrade would give you the best improvement.

I'm running AMD64 3500+, 1gig Ram, 7800GT @ 1680x1050. Nearly everything is maxed out, except draw distance for trees, objects etc is dropped slightly, no shadows, HDR on. Haven't got exact fps but it's very playable and looks incredible.

The odd time outside it chugs a bit, particularly in combat, but nothing major. Other than that, smooth as butter.

Awesome game!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Sidane wrote:
    You didn't mention what CPU you're using?

A video card upgrade would give you the best improvement.

I'm running AMD64 3500+, 1gig Ram, 7800GT @ 1680x1050. Nearly everything is maxed out, except draw distance for trees, objects etc is dropped slightly, no shadows, HDR on. Haven't got exact fps but it's very playable and looks incredible.

The odd time outside it chugs a bit, particularly in combat, but nothing major. Other than that, smooth as butter.

Awesome game!

Xbox version ftw, frame rate can be jumpy when loading area for a few seconds, but other than that outstanding, controls are amazing too.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Anyone know if Dual Core systems will benefit while running Oblivion - I mean apart from the standard boost you get everything else is running on one core?

BTW:
    X2 4400+ @ 2.7
    2048MB
    7800GT

While I'd like that GT to have an X at the end I'm fairly confident of running Oblivion fine whenever Play.com hurry up and get it to me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

Anyone know if Dual Core systems will benefit while running Oblivion - I mean apart from the standard boost you get everything else is running on one core?

BTW:
    X2 4400+ @ 2.7
    2048MB
    7800GT

While I'd like that GT to have an X at the end I'm fairly confident of running Oblivion fine whenever Play.com hurry up and get it to me. :rolleyes:

Should run very smooth on your rig, the extra gig of memory will make a difference.

But I don't think the game takes advantage of a dual core cpu.

Maybe ask on the official Elder Scrolls forum - http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/

I'm about to find out - I couldn't wait for it to be delivered cos I have three days off starting today - if i waited for it to be delivered I know if would arrive on my next day back to work. So I'll have a copy to sell soon. (Idiot I know).

Just installing it now. Very anxious to see what she'll manage. I just installed an extra fan over my Gfx card because I have it overclocked and don't want any trouble. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 zepplin

BTW:
    X2 4400+ @ 2.7
    2048MB
    7800GT

I got same system only with the X :p ... But im more envious of your 4400 running at 2.7, mines at 2.5... how are you cooling yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Just installed the latest ATI Omega Drivers and got a nice little boost for my X850. Can put the grass up to full now. ^_^

i have a 3.2ghz cpu intel 4

zepplin wrote:
    I got same system only with the X :p ... But im more envious of your 4400 running at 2.7, mines at 2.5... how are you cooling yours?

Zalman CPNS 9500 LED - the big ignorant looking one.

I have my GT over clocked to 485/1200MHz so its core and mem are the same as a GTX but I'm missing the four pipelines of the GTX.

Anyways - everything up full whack, no AA, HDR enabled, 1280x1024 and outside I get 45-50 fps, in cities I get about 30-35 fps. Never have I seen fraps report less than 30.

I'm chuffed. Loving the game but have the "where do I start" syndrome. Its gonna be a looong night to get into this proper.

Advertisement