Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 10 dives (thanks to the Observer)

• 25-03-2006 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Please note this list was compiled in late 2003 so some classics are missing...

1: Roberto Rojas
    Brazil v Chile, World Cup qualifier, 3 September 1989

Overrun and intimidated, Chile needed a way out. The plan: force an abandonment and a replay in a neutral venue. The execution: on 69 minutes, goalkeeper Rojas threw himself into the smoke of a firecracker, which had landed nearby, pulled a razor blade from his glove and stabbed himself in the head. The result: lots of blood, a mass brawl, a walkout, an abandonment - but, after video evidence, no replay. Instead, Brazil were awarded the game, Chile were out of one World Cup and excluded from the next, Rojas was banned for life and the woman who threw the firecracker was signed up by Playboy Brazil. In May 2001, Fifa lifted the ban. 'At 43, I'm unlikely to play again,' said Rojas, now coach at São Paulo, 'but at least this pardon will cleanse my soul.'

2: Jurgen Klinsmann
    West Germany v Argentina, World Cup Final, 8 July 1990

Germany had no answer to Argentina's solid, anti-football until Klinsmann collected the ball on the right and tried to go past Pedro Monzon. Monzon was lining something up - a tackle, perhaps even a foul - but before he'd had a chance, Klinsmann was soaring above him. Arcing through the air, he broke into three jarring, electric rolls. He'd done enough to see Monzon sent off - the first red card in a World Cup Final. Germany won with a penalty, awarded following a late Rudi Völler air trip.

3: Diego Simeone
    Argentina v England, World Cup, 30 June 1998

Before he was deified, David Beckham was a sack hanging from lamp posts. He owed his unpopularity to Diego Simeone, who, flicked by Becks's back heel in retaliation after a foul, toppled theatrically in this World Cup last-16 match in Saint-Etienne. 'I took advantage,' Simeone told OSM in May last year. 'I think anyone would have done so in just the same way.' Beckham was naturally u****ressed. 'Simeone went down as if he'd been shot,' he said. 'My first thought was, "I've made a big mistake here."'

4: Robbie Savage
    Derby v Leicester, 15 September 2001

Robbie makes it so high in the list for sheer effort: a corrosive 90 minutes, a last-minute dive in the area, a hopeful look to the referee and a fist-pumping explosion in front of the home fans. Derby players chased him all the way to the corner flag, then tried to mug him in the tunnel afterwards. 'We've seen players for years who are very clever at diving for penalties,' said Derby boss Jim Smith. 'But he's not very clever and his penalties become riots. It's always him.' Robbie said: 'I've never dived in my career. I was blameless.'

5: Slaven Bilic
    Croatia v France, World Cup semi-final, 8 July 1998

Feeling the hairs on the back of Laurent Blanc's hand brush his cheek, Bilic went down, his hands covering his face. He stayed down until Blanc had been dismissed, which meant he was suspended for the World Cup Final. 'He only had himself to blame,' said Bilic. 'I am not a cheat, I am honest. I am not to blame. After all, he hit me in my face.' Bilic was condemned by the PFA, colleagues and fans across Europe, including his own in Croatia.

This one I remember so well, I nearly threw something at the telly

6: El-Hadji Diouf
    Senegal v Uruguay, World Cup, 11 June 2002

On his way round Uruguay keeper Fabian Carini, El-Hadji Diouf felt the keeper's breath on his shin. The gust blew him up, then down, then all over the penalty area. Replays confirmed no contact - as in, none at all - had been made. Later, Richard Morales did the same for Uruguay and the ref gave that, too. When he wasn't giving penalties, he was taking names: 12 players booked and Senegal through to the last 16. 'We'll keep playing to our strengths,' said Diouf. 'Above all, I feel proud.'

7: Francis Jeffers
    Arsenal v Liverpool, December 2002

'He's the biggest cheat in football,' said Peter Osgood. 'I'd love to see him get really hurt.' Jeffers's greatest moment in an Arsenal shirt, a last-gasp trip over a space where John Arne Riise's leg might have been but wasn't, earned Arsenal a penalty and a point. 'The referee was conned,' said Gérard Houllier. 'I wouldn't be surprised if he practised diving in training,' said Ron 'Chopper' Harris. 'Since the foreigners came over here everyone's at it, even the English lads.'

'I'm not a conman or a diver,' said Franny, now back at Everton. 'I'm an honest player.'

8: Paul Alcock
    Sheffield Wednesday v Arsenal, 26 September 1998

Just before half-time, Patrick Vieira and Petter Rudi drew handbags, Paolo Di Canio kicked Martin Keown's shin and Paul Alcock sent the latter pair off. Di Canio reacted by pushing the referee, who staggered backwards several paces before splaying like a new-born foal. 'I gave him a shove, but it was hardly done with force,' said Paolo. 'He took sideways steps then fell over in a rather strange way - like someone acting for a penalty.' Di Canio was banned for 11 games and Alcock threatened to retire. 'I did not expect to be branded a psycho,' said Paolo.

9: Rivaldo
    Brazil v Turkey, World Cup, 3 June 2002

Hit in the leg by a football - always nasty - Rivaldo felt the pain searing in his face. Referee Yung Joo Kim, seeing him clutch his head, sent off the ball-kicker, Hakan Unsal. Fifa fined Rivaldo £5,180. 'I'm calm about the punishment, and I am not sorry about anything,' he told reporters. 'I was both the victim and the person who got fined. Obviously the ball didn't hit me in the face, but I was still the victim. I did not hit anyone in the face! Nobody remembers what that Turk did to me. I'm not a player who fakes fouls.'

10: Mark Hughes
    Manchester United v Montpellier, Cup Winners' Cup quarter-final, 6 March 1991

Millions watched as Mark Hughes was thrown backwards by the weight of a Pascal Baills air-butt. Uefa wouldn't allow Baills to use TV evidence to prove he hadn't made contact. Hughes was warned not to travel for the second leg by Montpellier president, Louis Nicollin. 'What Nicollin said is intimidation,' said Alex Ferguson. 'This is 1991. They can't get away with these things.' In the event, Hughes travelled; Jean-Manuel Thetis was booked for fouling him and sent off for spitting at him. United won 2-0.

Anyone fancy adding some others?

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

That's Klinsmann one went beyond diving and became art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Rivaldos must be the all-time greates dive.

i've 1. diddy drogbas career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Tony Yeboah Leeds vs Norwich, the dive in the box awarded them the penalty to send us down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

El Hadj Diouf (yet again) in the Blackburn vs. Bolton game last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Monzon was lining something up - a tackle, perhaps even a foul - but before he'd had a chance, Klinsmann was soaring above him.
    Classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Robert Pires for Arsenal last season. I think it was against Portsmouth. Deco in any game he plays and especially in the UEFA cup final for Porto against Celtic a few years ago. One thing that really annoys me is that when the alleged foul occurs, the victim rolls 10 metres away from where it occured. Momentum it is not. Also, what about the Israeli keeper in Landsdowne Road last year? I wanted to punch him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think refs should cop that if a player rolls more than once, they're faking. If someone's hurt from a tackle, they just drop, no rolling around 10 times onto the affected area. Its turning into the WWE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i think drogbas dive today was the worst dive i have ever seen, mills was about 6 inches from him and nicked the ball away from him, and drogba looked in agony - then popped up 20 seconds later. he disgusts me and should not be allowed play football. did you see what he said about the handball:

"Yes, it was handball but sometimes this is the game," he said. "I don't know how to explain. The ball comes to me and I can't do nothing but this."

When asked whether he felt it was unfair to score in such a way the African said: "Okay, so take off the goal I scored."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Shawn Wright Phillips last week deserves a mention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Remember the Bilic one oh so well also. Watched it in absolute disgust. Those quotes just make it worse. Imagine making someone miss out on playing in a World Cup final and having the cheek to say that. No respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

I don't know how much a nationwide advertising campaign would cost in Britain but I think players who constantly cheat (whether it be diving, falling to the ground theatrically when an opponent's hands are raised innocently etc.) should be heavily fined and the money be put towards ad campaigns that highlight to kids why that sort of stuff is wrong, in all sports. I'd love the idea of Drogba sitting at home watching the telly and seeing an ad that he's paid for lambasting his behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

The Billic one stands out a mile to me. It was a low point in international football. SO frustrating.

I was just saying yesterday to a mate, Klinsman will be remmebered as one of the pioneers of the dive in England. Not fair to blame it all on him but he was certainly the first I associated with it, seemed so strange back then.

Right I tried but I struggled to find clips! Im sorry, I have failed once again!

Di Canio - Alcock

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9087486362589139401&q=di+canio

Diving

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wFOOmGHmKcs&search=drogba%20dive

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

What about Rooney v Sol cambell 2 seasons back at OT, When United ended Arsenal's 49 game unbeaten record.

Was listening to J GIles last night and he was commenting on Wenger who came out and said something needs to be done. He got a bit mad over Wenger as Pires committed one of the more memorable moments and Wenger didnt acknowledge it.

His point was that none of the big managers are doing anything about it. And its true, I dont believe I have heard Fergie speak out about any United players. Certainly haent heard Wenger speak out about any of his. And Mourinho seems to bring this type of play with him wherever he goes.

The answer to it is for a manager to come out and say he is disgusted with his player. Drop him until he realises the error of his ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the rivaldo one is the one that stands out, he should have been banned, not fined. totally wreckless . that pires one v pompey still gets alot of coverage alright, though(i may be wrong on this), it was part of arsenals 49 game run and the penalty came late to give them a 1-1 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Vieira one V Liverpool, last season I think. Where the camera low down near the corner flag is looking back up the pitch. near the half way line and Vieira flicks the ball past Gerrard(?). Gerrard moves his foot towards Vieira and quickly back again, he never got closer than about 8 -10 inches, but vieira went down like h ewas hacked accross the shins. Bloody disgrace, especially for a player who is supposedly "hard".

I would'nt mind but all you have to do is wait and knock the ball slightly in front of you if you want gerrard to do you properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I dont believe I have heard Fergie speak out about any United players

But in turn, he doesn't criticise when it happens to him. He knows its part of the game and accepts it.

Fergie deals with it himself, because in the long run dives don't work. It's taken years for Ruud to lose his rep and get the fouls he deserves. Ronaldo I think has dived once this year in total, but because he dived quite a bit last year, he doesn't ge tthe fouls he deserves. It doesn't make ssense for skill players ever to dive, cause once you get a rep, its really bad for you. Fergie deals with it internally.
    Wenger on the other hands, turns a blind eye to it for his team, and gives out to other teams for it.

---

I think that the top 10 dives are badly done. THere is some level of ability required in the dives above mentioned, which actually con the ref, but the best fouls are the ones which are absolutely laughable, the one that first comes to mind is Vieira's against Liverpool, also Cole's against United when Keane went in for the tackle. Pires normally gets away with it, he's able to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Stekelly wrote:
    The Vieira one V Liverpool, last season I think. Where the camera low down near the corner flag is looking back up the pitch. near the half way line and Vieira flicks the ball past Gerrard(?). Gerrard moves his foot towards Vieira and quickly back again, he never got closer than about 8 -10 inches, but vieira went down like h ewas hacked accross the shins. Bloody disgrace, especially for a player who is supposedly "hard".

I would'nt mind but all you have to do is wait and knock the ball slightly in front of you if you want gerrard to do you properly.

This is the one I was going to mention, but I remember it being Hamann and not Stevie G who was involved. It was the game in November 2004 when Mellor scored that cracker. Hamman was already on a yellow and would have been sent off it the foul had been given. As soon as Viera realised what he'd done he got straight up all apologetic, I was particularly disgusted because I really admired Viera (and still do):mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Viera was on a yellow aswell.

Championship match- QPR were playing, cant remeber against who though. Could of been coventry. Coventry took a dive in the box, best dive ever. Remeber seeing it live and nearly fell off the couch laughing. I would of of given him the peno for the sheer brilliance of the dive.

It was also on one of the "diving" compilations on soccer am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

Aquos76 wrote:
    What about Rooney v Sol cambell 2 seasons back at OT, When United ended Arsenal's 49 game unbeaten record.
    This was a wonderful dive! After the match, not even the studio could conclusively decide if it was a penalty with super slow-mo replays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

OTliddy wrote:
    This was a wonderful dive! After the match, not even the studio could conclusively decide if it was a penalty with super slow-mo replays.

Maybe it had something to do with Rooney bring the golden boy of the english media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

OTliddy wrote:

What are you talking about? Everybody knew that was a dive. I couldn't give a toss what the panel of 'experts' had to say about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Does anybody remember the Andy Johnson one last season, where he flew in the air and landed on his head? He got up and his face was covered in the white paint from the 6-yard box... That was a deadly one, had a big argument over whether it was or wasnt - still think it was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

OTliddy wrote:

rubbish. it was an obvious dive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Mossy Monk wrote:
    rubbish. it was an obvious dive

I'd have to agree, it was quite clear from the first replay that there was no contact between Rooney & Campbell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Remember seeing an absolute classic in Highbury. Paddy Viera in the box nobody near him goes not tumblin but spinning in the air to the ground. Monday night football showed the replay in slow motion and it was hillarious.

Viera goes diving, in mid air spins himself around so he can look at the ref and goes to ground not taking his eyes off the ref the entire time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Cant beat this one either - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B0NZA1Y7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Not neccessarily the best/worst but I had it saved on my computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

lol, what a pro :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

How can there be a thread about divers in the game without a mention of Ruud Van Diveroy ? The biggest cheat in the game (well according to Dunphy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Call_me_al wrote:
    i think drogbas dive today was the worst dive i have ever seen, mills was about 6 inches from him and nicked the ball away from him, and drogba looked in agony - then popped up 20 seconds later. he disgusts me and should not be allowed play football. did you see what he said about the handball:

"Yes, it was handball but sometimes this is the game," he said. "I don't know how to explain. The ball comes to me and I can't do nothing but this."

When asked whether he felt it was unfair to score in such a way the African said: "Okay, so take off the goal I scored."

Well hasn't he gotten himself into a pickle with his latest act of genius;
    Drogba admitted: "Sometimes I dive, sometimes I stay up." But he then changed his mind with the some hefty help I'm sure.Chelsea suggested he was confused by the question and so 'clarified' the players comments with a statement: "Unfortunately in the emotion of winning the game my comments have come across partly in the wrong way. I want to make clear that I don't dive, this was the intention of my answer."
    Laughable!
    Blaming his stupidity on his lack of English?Is that the best they could come up with?He's perfectly competant with the English language - really stretching with that one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

That Neville one's a classic. I've that saved somewhere too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nevilles is so good not so much for the dive, but the aftermath - his, er disapointment and near lynching. :)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

PHB wrote:
    But in turn, he doesn't criticise when it happens to him. He knows its part of the game and accepts it.

Fergie deals with it himself, because in the long run dives don't work. It's taken years for Ruud to lose his rep and get the fouls he deserves. Ronaldo I think has dived once this year in total, but because he dived quite a bit last year, he doesn't ge tthe fouls he deserves. It doesn't make ssense for skill players ever to dive, cause once you get a rep, its really bad for you. Fergie deals with it internally.
    Wenger on the other hands, turns a blind eye to it for his team, and gives out to other teams for it.

Loose the rose tinted glasses, ffs. Utd like Chelsea and Arsenal have divers in their camp, these divers are highlighted by the press due to the fact that the teams are so successful. But to claim that Fergie does not complain about opposition diving is the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. Just the week he's speaking out about diving and jostling of referees. How many times did we see roy keane and the UTD team rush and surround a referee? How many penalties were awarded against UTD at Old Trafford during Keane tenure? 5 in nine seasons! Did you here Fergie complain about referee intimidation then? Nope. Like wise when it's utd players that are diving he has nothing to say, when it's someone else's players inthe spotlight he's splashed across the back pages like he has been this week.

You are arguing semantics in your above comment, Fergie doesn't want to critise diving cos he "deals with it internally" while when Wenger refuses to talk about it, he "turns a blind eye". Can you see how stupid your arguement is?! What is your stance on Mourinhio on saturday when he refused to talk about Drogba, was he "dealing with it internally" or was he "turning a blind eye"? :rolleyes:

Diving unfortunately is a part of the modern game, every club has a player who goes down a little bit too easy and I for one would like to see it stamped out.

OP sorry for going off topic.
    For my money Rivaldo's face grab is the worst dive I've ever seen.

How could I forget Andy Johnson vs Norwich at the dump called Selhurst. I was so angry at the game I was going to jump over the fence and attack him.

kensutz wrote:
    How could I forget Andy Johnson vs Norwich at the dump called Selhurst. I was so angry at the game I was going to jump over the fence and attack him.

That fence has seen worse happen!

Andy Johnson fall face first into it? I wouldn't be that lucky to see it happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Cheaters are found in every walk of life. In soccer, it's 'The Divers'. I think that dives during games need to be observed retrospectively and the player doing the dive severely punished for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Matt Holland, Charlton v Arsenal, 2003/2004.
    Fell over a shadow where Lauren's leg might once have been, a long time previous. Understandably, it being The Valley, the ref gave the penalty DiCanio converted and Arse were 1-0 down. Superb Henry FK salavaged a draw, and Arse continued on their merry, unbeaten way...

Vieira against Pool, Rooney against Arse, a few Reyes ones, Cristiano Ronaldo (often), Arjen Robben... There's stiff competition in this area.

What about Vitor Baia in the 2003 uefa cup final??

Oh that newcastle player stephen taylor last year who pretended he done his back in when he handled the ball deliberately for a peno. Comical stuff! in fairness he only wanted to avoid being sent off and didnt try to get another player into trouble. he was newcastles 3rd player to be redded that day. Bowyer and Dyer were both sent off for fighting each other same game

Advertisement