Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance question

Options
  • 25-03-2006 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

i have to do my driving test in my mams car cos my car hasnt NCT yet. im looking to swap insurances. i want to swap it for just under a week so i can get used to the car. whats the procedure? does it cost seeing as im a provisional driver.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Providing your mam's car isn't a 2 litre turbo charged Imprezza or something like that you should be fine. What you need to do is ring your insurance co and tell them you'ld like to do a temp transfer of the insurance, give them the details of your mam's car and off you go. They might charge an Admin charge for doing this though approx €20-€40.

You might want to transfer your Mam's insurance to your car as you can only have one policy on a car - if both are in place either insurer may refuse to pay out in the result of a crash.

Another thought, couldn't you go under you Mam's insurace for the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

i dunno... what would the difference be if i went under my mams insurance. im third party, my mam fully comp. im doing my test in the country so my mam would need a car to get around. if i was under hers then she couldnt drive my car. am i right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

She's probably covered to drive yours right now - she would probably have a "third party extension" on her policy - she is covered third party to drive another persons car. With some insurers this depends on the other car being insured, Quinn have repeatedly told me that I can drive someone elses even if it isn't insured, despite me being a bit suspect of that being true.

My scepticism towards Quinn is due to them kicking up a real fuss when I wanted to do a similar swap - they would not let me insure myself on a car that I didn't own. Well, actually one guy told me I could, sent me out a new disc with the old car still insured on it rather than the temporary car. When I rang up, they told me it wasn't possible.
    (This all happened when I was provisional - no TP extension for provisional drivers with quinn)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

thank god my mams not with quinn!!

Advertisement