Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Oral

Options
  • 25-03-2006 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Hello! So I have a german oral on tuesday for the Leaving Certificate. It is worth 25% and needless to say I am a tad nervos! I have a couple of questions regarding prononciation:

I cnt for the life of me remember how to pronounce words like bieten or begriefen.
    Also in relation to the vowels with umlauts any tips on how to pronounce them? If anyone has any german do you mind I could do a quick practice run?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

d4gurl wrote:
    Hello! So I have a german oral on tuesday for the Leaving Certificate. It is worth 25% and needless to say I am a tad nervos! I have a couple of questions regarding prononciation:

I cnt for the life of me remember how to pronounce words like bieten or begriefen.
    Also in relation to the vowels with umlauts any tips on how to pronounce them? If anyone has any german do you mind I could do a quick practice run?

bit tricky to explain pronounciation in writing, but I'll try my best..;-)

"ie" is usually pronounced like "ee" as is "glee". "ei" (as in "begreifen", I assume you spelled it wrong) is more like the English "y", as in "my". The umlauts are really hard to explain, maybe there are some soundbits on the internet somewhere, where you can listen to a native speaker?

Hope this helps a little - and good look with the oral ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Thanks!I found a great website to help me!the oral is finished thank golly gosh!went wel! cheers x

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Bit late I know but an umlaut basically puts an "e" after the vowel it's on so for example, schön is schoen. Could also be described as making a softer sound.

Knowing about the "e" helped me a lot with pronunciation as I often picture words in my head before saying them - not everyone works like that though. I'd probably still have difficulty pronouncing the letters although words are okay. But if spelling a word out and trying to pronounce "ü" it's always hard and I often end up saying "u" first!

Advertisement