Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 destinataions

Options
  • 25-03-2006 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

Where you/people you know heading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Not me personally but:
    New York and San Diego(Irelandino) seem popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pimpy_c

Just go to Santa Barbara or more precisely Isla Vista! Best 3 months of my entire life and I've been having a pretty good life!!! Just book right now and go! Trust me, you'll be thanking me in September!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I seriously wouldn't recommend IV. I'd say you'd have a nightmare time getting accommodation or job if you're Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Im going to San Francisco, trying to stay a little bit away from the places the irish went mad last year ;)

Its quite chilly in San Fran buts its a lovely, lovely city. So much to see and do.

• Advertisement

Sangre wrote:
    I seriously wouldn't recommend IV. I'd say you'd have a nightmare time getting accommodation or job if you're Irish.

Im not saying IV will be easy! Im saying it will be worth it. And there are plenty of jobs going around. I imagine the Irish invasion will be smaller this year and thus accomodation shudn't be a problem. And besides, those yankee students are just as nuts as we are, if not more so.

I said they won't WANT to give Irish jobs, not that there won't be any.
    Did you not notice how many Irish just bailed on jobs or rent without notice? Not to mention a load of houses were left trashed.
    Also there wasn't really that many jobs in the first place and accomodation is pretty much unavailable until end of June (end of exams there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Sangre wrote:
    Its quite chilly in San Fran buts its a lovely, lovely city. So much to see and do.

Really nice City-specially if you like walking up hills.Its also only about 2hours from seattle.I really wanted to go to seattle cos Im a major Frasier fan(i know-sad). And then seattle is only about an hour or two from vancouver so you can go up there if you want.Its just so gorgeous in Canda-I really recommend it.
    Id also reccomend buying a cheap car while your out there if you plan on travelling up and down the country.We brought a car for bout 400 euro between three of us and it was such a worthwhile investment cos we drove from vancouver down to tijjauanna via vega.Buses and flights over there can be pretty expensive. But be careful that you park in the right direction in California.WE got two tickets in LA for parking our car in the wrong direction.Apparently all cars must face southwards:confused::confused: Needless to say non of those parking fines were paid.........

Its not southwards I think, its in relation to the direction of traffic flow. You have to park so you pull straight out into traffic without crossing lanes afaik.

e.g.

<
    Traffic
    >
    [->] - car direction

Hmm...should REALLY be doing this criminology essay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Sangre wrote:
    Its not southwards I think, its in relation to the direction of traffic flow. You have to park so you pull straight out into traffic without crossing lanes afaik.

e.g.

<
    Traffic
    >
    [->] - car direction

Hmm...should REALLY be doing this criminology essay.

Ahh that makes sense!Well your knowledge of LA traffic criminology is excellent sangre:)

• Advertisement

I'm still sticking with my opinion of IV. These negative vibes toward it is exactly the reason why most Irish will steer clear, making it the perfect jewel in the sun on the west coast! I had my accomodation sorted before I even got there so I recommend everyone else do the same! If you have trouble getting a job there's always Bargain Network!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

San Fran is cold? ****, I thougt all of california would be warm. I was planing on booking wednesday, deadlines on posters are april 6th. Where else in california is nice and would be hospitable to irish?

any more advice?

Well Cali takes up most of the West Coast. Its just the San Fran bay has quite a chill across it and causes fog etc.. Can be nice days of course but its not sun, sun. sun.
    Actually across the bay in Berkley is meant to be warmer/sunnier and there is the college atmosphere. Heard good things.

And Bargain Network....oh dear god!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭crokester

Anyone here ever been to portland? Im currently considerin takin my Summer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

anyone know anything about j1 in new york?? what are the chances of finding a job? is accommodation affordable? and i mean in manhattan...but im willing to slum it a bit - a little!! ...dunno how much i cud take of cockroaches tho, hmmm. Anyone been there for j1 b4 or know anyone who went?

Most people don't stay in manhattan but in the boroughs e.g. Queens etc. Manhattan is just a subway journey away.
    Employment should be easy enough to find if you're Irish with your visa.
    New York is very hot and very humid. Meant to be quite uncomfortable actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

Sangre wrote:
    Most people don't stay in manhattan but in the boroughs e.g. Queens etc. Manhattan is just a subway journey away.
    Employment should be easy enough to find if you're Irish with your visa.
    New York is very hot and very humid. Meant to be quite uncomfortable actually.

ya i was there last summer and the few times i was in the city even at night its quite uncomfortable i really dunno how anyone lives there, you are literally a walking sweatball all the time its just so hot. the heat just sticks to you and there is NO breeze.....................great city tho.. goin back for three months at end of may!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

San Fran is cold? ****, I thougt all of california would be warm. I was planing on booking wednesday, deadlines on posters are april 6th. Where else in california is nice and would be hospitable to irish?

any more advice?

San Fran sometimes has a cold breeze and fog but its still pretty warm. Stay in Berekely. Its actually warmer(as Sangre said) and there's plenty of accommodation in the frat houses. There's plenty of partys around there. Its great if your underage as I was last summer. Its only 20 mins from San Fran by train. To give you an example of how warm it is, I didn't wear a jumper or jacket and didn't close my bedroom window for the whole summer(literally).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

anyone know anything about j1 in new york?? what are the chances of finding a job? is accommodation affordable? and i mean in manhattan...but im willing to slum it a bit - a little!! ...dunno how much i cud take of cockroaches tho, hmmm. Anyone been there for j1 b4 or know anyone who went?

i was there last year, got a place in Manhattan too. http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/ sorted it all out for accomodation, they tend to be fairly decent to students in ny, probably use to NYU students who are usually minted and fairly well behaved.

Jobs are way easier to find for girls in NY. They are also particularly sticky about the Social Security issue, especially in Manhattan. But it's defo worth staying in, whatever about going there on a holiday, living in manhattan for a few months is an incredible experience. It does get very hot and humid, but you get used to it. Sort of. One place I stayed had no Air-con, 35 degrees plus at night... fun!

Either way, I'm going to Boston this summer.

Advertisement