Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

building house in garden

• 25-03-2006 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭

I'm a young single person living at home with my parents as I can't afford to buy my own house or even rent as prices in Dublin are too high. I have a healthy hatred for the greed and profiteering in this country which makes life impossible for a lot of young people. Houses are grossly overpriced even for the smallest dog box on the market, not to mention greedy management companies adding to the price of mortgages by charging horrible amounts of money to do the job the councils are suppose to do (that’s what we pay taxes for) By the way I’m in no danger of being offered a mortgage by any banks anyway to buy a new house.

Possible solution:
    My parents own a corner house and are willing to give myself and my younger brother the land to build a house in which to live. I am a draughtsman so I can draw the plans and submit for planning.

So my brother and I have the land for free and I can design the house so no architect’s fees. We are both also willing to work as free laborers for the builder.

I would like people’s opinions on building costs. Are there any materials I can use to cut the cost of construction? E.G. timber frames structures. I am aware to some degree on planning laws but considering the amount of one off houses built in the estate which are different to the standard house type I am confident that with a good design I can get permission for an alternative type house. Also I am keen to incorporate solar power into the house and would be interested to know if anyone out there has any advice on the practical side or the cost of solar panels. I basically want to build this house for as little money as possible and am interested in people’s advice on choice of materials which would cut costs without risk to structure and insulation.
    many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Try posting this in the Gardening/DIY section. You might get a better response. Good luck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Biggest reason planning applications for developments such as your proposed development are turned down is space......

Depending on the particular authority, there has to be between 12 and 15 square meters of open space per bedroom for both the pre-existing house and also for the proposed development. There are a hell of a lot of other rules too- make sure you are thoroughly au-fait with planning rules and regulations before you send in your application.

I have a colleague in Santry who is doing something similar to what you are suggesting. He has had 9 applications turned down so far. (For speedy low cost building he intends to errect a prefabricated structure- Griffner (an Austrian company) sell them here in Ireland).

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭yoman

[QUOTE=.
    So my brother and I have the land for free .[/QUOTE]

No such thing as free land I'm afraid! You will have to pay gift tax on that as your parents gave you the land!! I know sucks doesn't it!!

yoman wrote:
    No such thing as free land I'm afraid! You will have to pay gift tax on that as your parents gave you the land!! I know sucks doesn't it!!

You sure? Would have immediately thought he could avail of the exemption for building land of less than €254 transferred from parents to a child to enable him build his principal dwelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

yoman wrote:

Can't parents give their childern gifts of about 400K tax free??

Clown Bag i wouldn't worry about cutting costs if your getting the land for free. The build cost would be about 200K, the avarage build cost of a house in dublin was reported to be around 180K. if you and your brother share the mortgage of 200K over 20 years you each would be paying €500 a month if you think you can't afford that you should give up on wanting a house of your own.

Also even if the build cost was to goto 300K, depending on where you live, a 3 bedroom house would fetch between 450K and 600K

where in the city do you live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suggest that you take a look in the local planning office to see what the council is happy to see added in the estate - its a lot easier to build on one of the rectangular corner sites than the triangular ones.

Cost will depend very much on the actual layout and how much can be supported from existing walls.

What is on the other side of the corner - where your neighbours are?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Another point- you are looking at a totally seperate set of rules governing a seperate freestanding building than an extension to a pre-existing dwelling. I pulled out of buying a property in Kildare Town that had a seperate building (a large garage converted into a 2 ensuite bedroomed dwelling) because KCC refused to issue a certificate of planning compliance (they stated that to comply it would have to be attached to the main dwelling). I know all cases are different- my point is that planning applications are mine-fields, make sure you know exactly where you stand.

Advertisement