Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kunlee - Should he stay or should he go ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

The thread is drifting to a bigger arguement overall, and it looks like 'kunlees' number is up anyway, at this stage.

I think most of the posters that have submitted their opinion agree that he should go and his deportation now, is the right decision.

Perhaps someone could start a thread on the larger issue of Immigration ingeneral, if anyone's up for thrashing that one out ?

Thanks to all for their opinions, the general abscence of obscenity and insults in this thread (with a few minor exceptions) Is good to see. If we do begin the 'Immigration' thread, I'd hope the same unwritten expectation on good taste would apply.

However if anyone else has anything to say about 'Kunlee' post away.

rkeane wrote:
    It will be a wonderful moment to see RAR go mental when he is sent packing.
    I agree 'schadenfreude' as i mentioned earlier

Personally, i would rather have a country populated by my countrymen then have an extra few euro in my pocket.

I have been a student for most of the celtic tiger experience. I have made 2 things out of it.

1) Nothing
    2) and fu*k all

Incidentally, do you go to church every sunday ? genuine question, not provocative. I only ask because you are asserting that 88+% of Irish people are Cathoilc. Is that what you're interested in protecting ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

discussion on today fm about this now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Mortmain

To be honest folks, I think he's just a feckin eejit. I mean, come on, common sense dictates that if you are looking for asylum or refuge, keep your nose clean until your appeal is processed. Don't go driving cars without insurance. If the guy can't stay out of trouble at the one time in his life when he has the most incentive to do so then he is a feckin eejit and we already have enough of those in the Dail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Delboy05

L5 wrote:
    discussion on today fm about this now.

did any of you hear it? Your one from RAR made a complete ass of herself as usual. She Said the 2nd time he was caught, he was going to get his car window fixed as it was vandalised while he was in Nigeria. Matt Cooper pointed out he was caught in Killiney, not Palmerstown where he lives. She was caught for what next to say...and just blurted out that this is what Kunle told her!!!!!
    Aparently he has a judicial review next month....there's a deportation flight to Nigeria int he next week or so ----looks like he might drag the process out again and miss that place.....more expense for the tax payer of this country!!!

Delboy05 wrote:
    Your one from RAR made a complete ass of herself as usual. She Said the 2nd time he was caught, he was going to get his car window fixed as it was vandalised while he was in Nigeria. Matt Cooper pointed out he was caught in Killiney, not Palmerstown where he lives. She was caught for what next to say...and just blurted out that this is what Kunle told her!!!!!

Isn't it unreal ?? it's always the case with that woman of,

'don't bother me with the facts, it dosen't fit into my lecture/sound bite'

i dont know ? I really can't get my head around her at all ?? whatever credibility RAR has ever hoped to have, she's just pissing it all away by not facing facts about this case when presented to her. They will have a hard time ever being accepted as a proper lobby/representative group after this is all over.

106 had her on a few weeks ago, and unbeknownst to her, had Aine Ni Chonnail on the other line, when she realised this, she as good as terminated the interview on the grounds that Ni Chonaill was a racist and refused to argue anything out with her. Like thats really the way forward ?? refuse to argue your point and shut down all channells of communication ??!!

Now isn't that REALLY Progressive or what ?? (scarcasm)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Delboy05 wrote:
    did any of you hear it? Your one from RAR made a complete ass of herself as usual. She Said the 2nd time he was caught, he was going to get his car window fixed as it was vandalised while he was in Nigeria. Matt Cooper pointed out he was caught in Killiney, not Palmerstown where he lives. She was caught for what next to say...and just blurted out that this is what Kunle told her!!!!!
    Aparently he has a judicial review next month....there's a deportation flight to Nigeria int he next week or so ----looks like he might drag the process out again and miss that place.....more expense for the tax payer of this country!!!

Where did he get the cash to buy a car? I need a car so how do I proceed?

Mortmain wrote:
    To be honest folks, I think he's just a feckin eejit. I mean, come on, common sense dictates that if you are looking for asylum or refuge, keep your nose clean until your appeal is processed. Don't go driving cars without insurance. If the guy can't stay out of trouble at the one time in his life when he has the most incentive to do so then he is a feckin eejit and we already have enough of those in the Dail.

Yeah, I think you're dead right, a little savvie on his own part, would have served him well, and that's the issue for me. If he's doing this stuff now, how likely would he be, to become a 'model citizen' if he was allowed to stay, and maybe even get off on a technicality ??

I think that's the reason this issue has stirred so much discussion. Though I feel there are still people out there who have seen this thread who will remain safe in their belief that, we're all just posting here, patting each other on the back, and munching away our racist carrots.

Mortmain wrote:
    Primo Levi.
    good quote :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Delboy05 wrote:
    Matt Cooper pointed out he was caught in Killiney, not Palmerstown where he lives. She was caught for what next to say...and just blurted out that this is what Kunle told her!!!!!

I think it speaks volumes about Kunle that he'd lie straight to the face of the very person who is trying to help him here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

So he lied to her and he withheld vital information from his solicitor. He seems to be his own worst enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dublincitadel

FX Meister wrote:
    He seems to be his own worst enemy.

yes,and that's the last thing he needs if this thread is anything to go by ;)
    I don't disagree, I think he should go, and he has definitely dug his own grave dragging it out for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

Man I thought Rosanna Flynn made a show of herself :D . The little scumbag Kunle couldn't even tell his bleeding heart liberal friend the truth of his crimes. I look forward to his deportation.....from the soundbites he hasn't got a hope in hell of getting leave to remain. The only question is when do we get rid of him.

I feel sorry for the chick and kid that he leaves behind though.

Heinrich wrote:
    His girlfriend can always emigrate to Nigeria to keep her family together.

It's an option ? at least he will be going home with a good education, provided to him by the Irish State. Armed with a decent education, maybe he will be able to do the decent thing, and provide for his girlfriend and child, in his own country. That is if he loves her ? and turns out to be a gentleman after all, of course? which remains to be seen.

marcsignal wrote:
    It's an option ? at least he will be going home with a good education, provided to him by the Irish State. Armed with a decent education, maybe he will be able to do the decent thing, and provide for his girlfriend and child, in his own country. That is if he loves her ? and turns out to be a gentleman after all, of course? which remains to be seen.

i think this whole 'girlfriend and baby' thing is a bit up in the air - we've not heard the ful story on this. There was'nt mention of a girlfriend when he was first deported....just his friends from school. Do you not think the papers and RAR would have pushed her in front of the cameras as further eveidence of how 'integrated' he was at the time.
    Even a month ago when the Dept. of Justice said his visa was up and he was on his way, this was never mentioned. Only after his latest appeal fails and he's within weeks of deportation, does this 'girlfriend' suddenly appear. He's seeing her for less than a year according to reports.....and she's had a baby just as his time is up!!!

This is where any good investigative journalist in this country worth his salt could get a frontpage story exposing all this. But that won't happen, not with the liberal PC media we have....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Mortmain wrote:
    One of my best friends is a lawyer who represents many of the asylum cases in Dublin. According to this friend the problem is that many are, in reality, ‘feckin eejits’ in so far as they are behaving as they would back home and do not realize that to do so here might be counterproductive to their applications for asylum.

Countries such as Nigeria are pretty lawless which means it is not unusual for normal people there to commit what we would consider criminal acts (tax evasion, bribery, etc), simply because that is how things are done there. Rom gypsies will repeatedly make the same error when they are advised that putting their children in Irish schools will help their cases, yet continue to ignore this advice and keep their children out of school.

Additionally they’re not helped by a general lack of foresight - the most common means by which asylum seekers fail in their applications is not because they’ve failed to keep their noses clean but because they’re bad liars - sometimes seemingly lying for the sake of it - and (especially when applying as a family) getting caught out.

My reading of the Kunlee case is that he was lucky on the Leaving Cert angle, which may well have been recommended to him by either his barrister or solicitor. He was lucky because the press picked it up and ran with it and middle class Ireland decided to feel sorry for the teenager (that’s what people originally thought he was) who was being deported and denied an education by our nasty government. He was lucky, but ultimately he could not capitalise on it, and so with middle class Ireland now largely turned off from the story, his options have all but run out and it’s most likely only a matter of time.

Whether he should he stay or go is - legal reasoning aside - probably more down to your position on open immigration than anything else. If you’re for greater multiculturalism, diversity, workers to fuel economic growth or whatever idiot reason in favour, then by all means he should. If on the other hand you for the protection of Irish Society and culture, jobs or whatever idiot reason against, then by all means he should go.

And to be honest, there seems to be no shortage of idiot reasons, one way or another, on these fora.

FX Meister wrote:
    I feel sorry for the chick and kid that he leaves behind though.

I'd feel sorry for them even if he did stay. To be used like that just so he can stay in this country is a horrible thing altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

If the mother of his child is not an EU national than Kunlee is a both a fool and appalingly cynical. If she is Irish he is appalingly cynical. Given that he has been in Ireland for several years if he is unaware of the norms now when will he be aware of them. The last thing Ireland needs is to import gombeenism.

MM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

One of my best friends is a lawyer who represents many of the asylum cases in Dublin. According to this friend the problem is that many are, in reality, ‘feckin eejits’ in so far as they are behaving as they would back home and do not realize that to do so here might be counterproductive to their applications for asylum.

Countries such as Nigeria are pretty lawless which means it is not unusual for normal people there to commit what we would consider criminal acts (tax evasion, bribery, etc), simply because that is how things are done there. Rom gypsies will repeatedly make the same error when they are advised that putting their children in Irish schools will help their cases, yet continue to ignore this advice and keep their children out of school.

Additionally they’re not helped by a general lack of foresight - the most common means by which asylum seekers fail in their applications is not because they’ve failed to keep their noses clean but because they’re bad liars

in truth the main reason why most of them fail to claim asylum successfully is due not to their stories being lies but the stories being massively out of date, they all seem to fail to realise that RAC and Repat have VOLUMES of reports from the UNHCR, UK Home Office etc on happens in a country from war right through to what billy had for breakfast last week

that and the fact that they're nearlly all financial refugees which isn't actually recognised and being a basis for claiming asylum anywhere in the world and besides if your a genuine refugee your gonna claim asylum in the first safe country NOT go through a few different ones until you get to your intended desination

usually the ones who are given leave to remain are people from countries not deemed to be safe such as Iraq, China etc (but AFAIK they've begun to deport people to China altouh could be mistaken on that one)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

miju wrote:
    in truth the main reason why most of them fail to claim asylum successfully is due not to their stories being lies but the stories being massively out of date, they all seem to fail to realise that RAC and Repat have VOLUMES of reports from the UNHCR, UK Home Office etc on happens in a country from war right through to what billy had for breakfast last week
    I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by the difference between "stories being lies" and "stories being massively out of date".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Whether he should he stay or go is - legal reasoning aside - probably more down to your position on open immigration than anything else. If you’re for greater multiculturalism, diversity, workers to fuel economic growth or whatever idiot reason in favour, then by all means he should. If on the other hand you for the protection of Irish Society and culture, jobs or whatever idiot reason against, then by all means he should go .

We have the Eastern Europeans to fuel our economy, and they havesome right to be here

True, which raises further, broader, questions about immigration,asylum seekers, and refugees as a whole. Should there be more effort put into integration ? Can some of the people coming here 'be integrated' ? and if deemed not, what kind of problems are we creating for Irish society in the future, as a whole, by ignoring the problems this raises ? In short, how are you suggesting we deal with issues such as bribery, and fraud, if, by your assertion these things are 'not out of the ordinary' to citizens of some of the countries you mentioned ?

miju wrote:
    .....and besides if your a genuine refugee your gonna claim asylum in the first safe country NOT go through a few different ones until you get to your intended desination

usually the ones who are given leave to remain are people from countries not deemed to be safe such as Iraq, China etc (but AFAIK they've begun to deport people to China altouh could be mistaken on that one)

Your right on the China situation - the 1st ever deportation flight to China took place earlier this month. On it were some right 'nasty' bucko's.....a few guys convicted of extortion and rackaterring amongst their own, and some of the guys convicted of taking part in that o'connell street scrap a few years back that spilled out of the parnell mooney, if i heard rightly. They had to specifically wait for a charter flight for some of the people on board after earlier attempts to deport them on regular flights were impossible after they kicked up a ruckus on board.

As far the '1st safe country'.......if the irish govt actually enforced this we'd have no problems with asylum in this country as the con men would'nt get within an asses roar of ireland. People like me might be less cynical of asylum seekers then. Not 1 nigerian should be allowed claim asylum here as it's as clear as night following day that they've all passed through safe countries before arriving on this little island on the most western part of europe - we don't have any air/sea access with nigeria. But yet RAR, the Irish Refugee Council or the dozen odd other taxpayer funded committees never,ever raise this point in their bleeding heart cries for 'justice and fairness' (probably do a lot of the career 'minority crusaders' out of a job if it was enforced) ....where's the fairness for the irish taxpayer?

Delboy05 wrote:
    i think this whole 'girlfriend and baby' thing is a bit up in the air - we've not heard the ful story on this. There was'nt mention of a girlfriend when he was first deported..

Also true

I'd feel sorry for them even if he did stay. To be used like that just so he can stay in this country is a horrible thing altogether.
    You don't know for sure that he is just using her to stay in the country so I don't think that's a very fair remark to make.

And to be honest, there seems to be no shortage of idiot reasons, one way or another, on these fora.

There may well be a lot of truth in this statement, but open discussion on these issues as a whole has been suppressed in the past, particularlly if you are of the camp that may have, what I believe, are some legimate concerns about immigration as a whole.
    In the past (and this cannot be denied) saying anything that may be percieved as negative about the issue was a complete and utter 'NO NO !' because of OTT political correctness gone crazy.
    This creates a 'taboo' area, in which people are afraid to give their honest opinion, for fear of organisations, such as RAR, eating them alive and calling them 'racist pigs' (and thats a pretty powerful weapon to have in your armoury, to use willy-nilly on anyone who dosen't share your view)
    That usually leaves reasonable people succeptable to the influence of extermists.

FX Meister wrote:
    You don't know for sure that he is just using her to stay in the country so I don't think that's a very fair remark to make.

That's true, I don't know for sure, but there's certainly no way to prove that he's just using the family angle to try and stay in the country. He's hardly going to say yes, I only got that girl pregnant so I can stay here, is he? So what do you expect here? I'm not going to reserve my opinion on this simply because it's not likely to be proven one way or the other. It's all too convenient that he suddenly got a girl pregnant, so I'm going to hold onto my opinion reguardless of whether it's fair or not.

raciste

• Advertisement

It's all too convenient that he suddenly got a girl pregnant, so I'm going to hold onto my opinion reguardless of whether it's fair or not.
    It's already been posted that, the whole girlfriend issue is completely up in the air, and he would have gotten her pregnant 9 months ago, as opposed to suddenly, as she just had the child last Thursday, i think (If it is 'Kunlees' child ?). I don't think anyone will truly ever know, so, one way or the other, all anyone can do is speculate, i suppose ?
    FX Meister wrote:
    raciste
    (with reference to Karl Hungus) was such a retort really necessary, or is it merely your honest opinion ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement