Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radiohead

• 26-03-2006 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

Hard to say what'll come out on top but surely Pablo Honey will finish last?

What's your favourite Radiohead LP? 129 votes

Pablo Honey
    0%
    The Bends
    3%
    ergoSteve_oGeorgeBaileyBluetonicTombo2001 5 votes
    OK Computer
    37%
    SerbianDont be at yourselfDerekD GoldfishMr ESprostonGreenfunktasticEarthhorsesmackbunnybabybrianonmollserZaphbranners69Basqblu_sonicblobertJC 2K3CassielDotOrgpogcicasinjin_smythe 49 votes
    Kid A
    32%
    sixpack's little hatFunkyChickenPiECreatureCrucifixkrinpitfitzcometKur4mAquarrymanexiotaphex™WaltonsnlgbbbblthiwhelanArdentulluChardee MacDennisJim10000Neuro 42 votes
    Amnesiac
    18%
    eclectichoneyAnimaChad ghostalmachiavellianmeparasitePigman IIshroomfoxplenderjJohndoonothingpenexpersPhotiRojoMr RiversMr_Magpieya-what-now?Thomas_S_HuntersonAndy-Pandy[Deleted User]HisInfernalEmo 24 votes
    Hail To The Thief
    6%
    Jimi-SpandexorangeroosterGoodshapePauljradiospantreefingersAporiaTchockycastagnoli 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

Amnesiac
    Oooh that's a tough one!

I went for Kid A but god I love The Bends as well!!

Damn you for making me choose!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

Hail To The Thief
    For me it was between Kid A and Amnesiac but I chose Amnesiac

There should be a "Kid Amnesiac" opition lol...

Just a question... Does anyone notice how the song "Idioteque" sound like "Idiotic" in an english accent when you say it out loud... was that intentional? or am I just reading way too much into it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Kid A
    OK Computer - absolute aural perfection. Thats not to say The Bends, Kid A and Amnesiac don't have their good points either ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Kid A
    Don't care much for anything post 'OK Computer'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

OK Computer
    PiE wrote:
    Someone who agrees with me finally!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭radiospan

Hail To The Thief
    Amnesiac

"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case, get off my case, get off my case"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

OK Computer
    i only liked the bends after that i just couldn't relate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Amnesiac
    Kid A, not a hue fan of anything before it. OK Computer is good but some of the tracks are a bit meh. Kid A/Amnesiac seemed to be their peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭ergo

The Bends
    I'm being honest here, Pablo Honey is the one I keep coming back to, The Bends was my favourite of all time for most of the late '90s but haven't gone near it much at all since

and apart from Track 2 there is of course Stop Whispering, Thinking About You and (maybe an odd choice but I love "Lurgee")

but from the live album "True Love Waits" is all time #1 for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

OK Computer
    The Bends, it has to be. My older brother listened to it nearly everyday for a few years, and I shared a room with him so I was constantly listening to it too. Hail to the Thief is my least favourite of the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Tchocky

Hail To The Thief
    Amnesiac, although this may change in the next 7 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Kid A
    PiE wrote:
    Same here. I actually hate the other albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Kid A
    OK Computer and Then, The Bends..
    I bought Kid A but I didnt like it, or just havent listened to it enough as I didnt like OK Computer at first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Does anyone think "Hail to the Thief" is their best album? I really like it and it has a good variety of music on it. It incorporates all the music Radiohead have played, on one album, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

OK Computer
    I love The Bends, Kid A and OK Computer equally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Kid A
    Wow The Bends is winning. It's my second least favourite

1 OK
    2 Kid A
    3 Amnesiac
    4 Hail
    5 Bends
    6 Pablo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

OK Computer
    The Bends, by some distance, after OK Computer I lost alot of interest in them. I admit the Kid A live show I saw was great, and both Kid A and Amnesiac have moments but The Bends is the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

OK Computer
    Another vote for The Bends.

From OK Computer onwards they just began to sound less and less sincere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

OK Computer
    The Bends by a mile.

Kid A
    HTTT
    Ok Computer
    Amnesiac
    Pablo Honey

Amnesiac
    I must say I'm really surprised that The Bends is winning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

Kid A
    PiE wrote:

Ditto. Thought Kid A and Amnesiac were awful awful abums.

Amnesiac
    Haha, this is like a mods and rockers stand off.

"Pre-OK Computer was great!"

"No way man, post-OK was the shiznit!"

"You're so wrong, Radiohead lost the plot with Kid A!"

"I'll lose your plot!"

"GAH!"

"NYAHH!"

OK Computer
    I dunno, before Kid A Radiohead were making great music, but around Kid A they really started taking themselves too seriously.

Another thing that really annoyed me at the time was releasing 2 albums so close to each other while all the time whining on about how anti-corporate they were, if they were really anti-corporate they'd have sacrificed the extra money and released a double-album a la Melon Collie or the White Album. Would have saved the fans plenty of cash, but made Radiohead and their record company that little bit poorer.

I know their argument was Amnesiac was a stand alone album and they wanted it to be given proper attention but frankly I think fans have enough intelligence to listen to a 2 disc album and rate them individually.

Amnesiac
    But by that reasoning if someone paints two paintings within a few months of each other they should do them on one canvas. How soon is too soon to release another album? An album isn't just the music on it but also the packaging and the order of the tracks. If they felt that the tracks from Amnesiac were meant to be on a separate album then that's their choice and it shouldn't be governed over what's cheaper for the customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Jim10000

Kid A
    I went for OK Computer.
    I never listen to it now, but I still put on Kid A and Amnesiac from time to time, but I think OK C was INCREDIBLE when it came out and is one of the best/most important albums ever.
    I still like the music on Hail to the Thief, but Thom's schoolboy angst has become a bit much for me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Kid A
    Gotta be OK Computer.. all the way

They lost the plot with Amnesiac.. terrible, terrible stuff.. think they are sorta getting their act back together with Hail To the Thief.. still nowhere near the early stuff tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Amnesiac
    Kid A blew me away and was my first experience of Radiohead
    Then of course came OK Computer, and I was hooked
    I love all their albums tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Amnesiac
    I prefer the electronic albums so I'll go for Kid A. Its kinda cool that theres such a split in opinions of which is the better album, I guess thats what makes them a great band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

Amnesiac
    Kid A.

• Advertisement

OK Computer
    ;)
    John2 wrote:
    But by that reasoning if someone paints two paintings within a few months of each other they should do them on one canvas. How soon is too soon to release another album? An album isn't just the music on it but also the packaging and the order of the tracks. If they felt that the tracks from Amnesiac were meant to be on a separate album then that's their choice and it shouldn't be governed over what's cheaper for the customer.

I don't really you follow your analogy John2, surely you can't compare the sale of a limited number of canvas based painting with the mass release of a cd by a band that wear their love of their fans on their sleeve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Another thing that really annoyed me at the time was releasing 2 albums so close to each other while all the time whining on about how anti-corporate they were, if they were really anti-corporate they'd have sacrificed the extra money and released a double-album a la Melon Collie or the White Album. Would have saved the fans plenty of cash, but made Radiohead and their record company that little bit poorer.
    On that note, I remember reading an article in the Sunday Times attacking their hypocrisy for supporting Friends of the Earth, while not bothering to make their H.T.T.H. tour in 2003 and 2004 "carbon-neutral", i.e. planting enough trees to absorb the CO2 the tour created. This was a few months back. Sorry for going O.T. mods...

They did take themselves a bit too seriously as a band after the huge acclaim OK Computer brought them. Hopefully now that their 6-album contract was finished with H.T.T.H., they would relax about their music more.:confused:

Amnesiac
    I don't really you follow your analogy John2, surely you can't compare the sale of a limited number of canvas based painting with the mass release of a cd by a band that wear their love of their fans on their sleeve?

OK, bad analogy. But surely you get the point that they're two different works of art and not a product? Well they're a product to the record company but not to Radiohead.

OK Computer
    On that note, I remember reading an article in the Sunday Times attacking their hypocrisy for supporting Friends of the Earth, while not bothering to make their H.T.T.H. tour in 2003 and 2004 "carbon-neutral", i.e. planting enough trees to absorb the CO2 the tour created. This was a few months back. Sorry for going O.T. mods...

They did take themselves a bit too seriously as a band after the huge acclaim OK Computer brought them. Hopefully now that their 6-album contract was finished with H.T.T.H., they would relax about their music more.:confused:

Thats kinda my point, they like to appear all fan-friendly, earth friendly etc when in reality, (imo), they're as corporate as the next band. Not that I have a huge problem with bands being overly corporate or not, just bands who cash in on the whole "we're so anti-corporate we are" while just using it as an image to sell more records for themselves.

The fact that I don't like Kid A as much as The Bends is unrelated to that though.

OK Computer
    John2 wrote:
    OK, bad analogy. But surely you get the point that they're two different works of art and not a product? Well they're a product to the record company but not to Radiohead.

I guess that's where we differ, I see it as more as a way to shift more units and make more money, cynical I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

OK Computer
    I see the cynical angle but If I'm into the band I welcome every release as long as the quality is still there.

I love the new Radiohead. I love the old Radiohead too. Like two different bands. I love it when bands evolve over time.

The Bends by the way

• Advertisement

Amnesiac
    OK Computer was winning there for a while today but Atrocity has tipped the scales in The Bends' favour. Kid A is starting to pick up a bit but I think it has lost too much ground. Exciting stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

OK Computer
    I wish I could vote for them all. They're all like really good friends, whom I like for different reasons. If they were real friends then I'd have some friends for once. But they're not. They are music.

FED UP WITH MUSIC!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Amnesiac
    i voted for kid A, but tbh i mostly listen to the gigs with the newer matierial,
    kidA/Amnesiac period... so good live <3
    ergo wrote:
    but from the live album "True Love Waits" is all time #1 for me
    the live album (although class) is probably one of the worst recordings of true love waits i've heard, most of the other recordings available on the net are much clearer and seem to be played more entusiastically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Ardent

Kid A
    Channel 4 ran the 100 Greatest Albums not too long ago. Guess what got #1: http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/G/greatest/albums/results.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭plenderj

Amnesiac
    nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Hard to say what'll come out on top but surely Pablo Honey will finish last?

Pablo Honey's really starting to grow on me lately though /shrug/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

Hail To The Thief
    love everything from bends onwards, really hard to choose.

went for amnesiac in the end. my order of preference would be:

= amnesiac/ok computer/kid a

= bends/hail to the thief

pablohoney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

OK Computer
    Voted for The Bends. I can't get enough of High And Dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

The Bends
    Jim10000 wrote:
    but I think OK C was INCREDIBLE when it came out and is one of the best/most important albums ever.
    Albums aren't important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Jim10000

Kid A
    Albums ARE important.

What I meant specifically was that it was a kind of milestone album at the time; very influencial (for better or worse) and a resetting of the bar on quality, I thought it really turned things on their head when it came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 koolthefunk

Kid A
    Ok I voted OK Computer... in all honesty think The Bends is just as good...my list would go like this.

1. Ok Computer/The Bends
    2. Pablo Honey/Hail to the Thief
    3. Kid A/Amnesiac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

Kid A
    John2 wrote:
    Kid A, not a hue fan of anything before it. OK Computer is good but some of the tracks are a bit meh.

Just out of curiousity what tracks on OK Computer did you feel were "meh"? I have to say I thought it was easily their most solid album. In terms of filler...The Bends had Nice Dream, HTTT had Sit Down Stand Up and Sail To the Moon, Pablo Honey had...well most of the album etc but I thought personally OKC was flawless from start to finish :)

the live album (although class) is probably one of the worst recordings of true love waits i've heard, most of the other recordings available on the net are much clearer and seem to be played more entusiastically

Very true...the version of True Love Waits is piss compared to the other versions I have. The performances of Like Spinning Plates and Idioteque however are perfect :cool:

Amnesiac
    Just out of curiousity what tracks on OK Computer did you feel were "meh"?

Electioneering, Fitter Happier and The Tourist. When you compare them to Lucky and Exit Music (For a Film) they really pale in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

OK Computer
    This is easy. The Bends. One of the greatest albums ever made. Haven't listened to it much in recent years but the respect is still there. I love Paranoid Android but a few dodgy songs on OK Computer. I'd rate Pablo Honey as good as OK Computer although OK is a lot more mature sounding. The first seven songs on Pablo Honey are excellent. I was disappointed when I bought Kid A. Probably listened to it about 10 times ever. It was all downhill from there imo.
    One of my favourite Radiohead songs was never released on an album- Killer cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭dream brother

Ok Computer
    The Bends
    Kid A
    Hail to the Thief
    Pablo Honey
    Amnesiac

nowadays bands always stick to the same sound but radiohead's music has been evolving since pablo honey, they put alot of effort into their sound and it pays off! I love Kid A and HTTT but Amnesiac i could never get into

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jayneemac

Kid A
    Ok Computer by a very long margin!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement