Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most common popups??

Options
  • 26-03-2006 12:54am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was just surfing the net today as I do everyday

Did you notice there seems to be always 1 or 2 "popunder" windows that appear no matter what pop-up blocker you have??

The most common one that I come accross is bloody feckin jamster

Does anyone else find this, that no popup blocker blocks jamster?? Its tré annoying :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I have seen a few pages that do it alright. It depends on how they open though. Do they popup immediately when you visit a page or do they popup when you click a link? SitePoint is an example of a page that does the latter, but the link is responding to a legitimate user action. If it's happening immediately then it is a bug and you should add it to this bug on Bugzilla.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It doesn't come straight away when I visit a page, but then it doesn't come when I press on a link. It comes out of the blue on some sites, when I am just reading down the page. Firstly, even though I have Firefox and Tab Mix Plus set to force windows that open in a new window to open in a tab, it doesn't.

Secondly, just as it appears, the focus does not set to it. It appears out of focus as a seperate Firefox window, but before it says "Jamster - ringtones..." it says "Popunder window - Mozilla Firefox"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I took a quick look around and found this post. It says there that the popups are being generated from Flash and it also details a way of preventing it:
    To block pop-ups from plugins, open your Firefox 1.0 or 1.0.1 browser, type about:config in the address field. Right-click in the resulting config page somewhere and select New -> Interger. Type privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins in the resulting dialog, hit OK, type 2 in the next dialog and you're all set.

This pref can actually take three values:
    • 0: open allowed
    • 1: the opened windows are treated as popups, but they're allowed to open (we limit the number of these types of popups)
    • 2: the window is a popup, block it

I haven't tried it as I don't know any sites where I can test it, but you can try it on the sites that are giving you problems.

Advertisement