Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Punto 1.8 HGT - anyone own/drive?

Options
  • 26-03-2006 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for something small and fast and this has caught my eye. I can VRT it for €1600 or buy either of the non-Abarth ones on Carzone.ie for around six grand. Anyone any experience of them? 130bhp in a Punto could be interesting but it might be impossible to sell on in the long run. Opinions/experences? Yes, I know its a FIAT and anyone pointing out that they once had an aunt with a 127 which didn't start in the damp will be mercilessly flamed.

Muchos gracias,

'cptr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I remember reading a few reviews of it years ago, and they were generally pretty positive. Those Puntos do have a reputation for electrical problems, though some seem to be completely trouble-free. On the other hand, you could probably get a good Alfa 156 for that sort of money - more expensive to maintain, but probably a much more sophisticated drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Anan1 wrote:
    probably get a good Alfa 156 for that sort of money.
    Hmmm, I could get a lot of stuff for that sort of money but I got rid of my Alfa 155 2.0TS a few months back and don't want another for a while. The only 156 I'd bother with is the 2.5V6 and I might as well go the whole hog and get a 20V Fiat coupe if I'm off down that road. No, I need a hot hatch and can't abide Saxos, Corsas, Fiest... that list is going to get very long but you get the idea.

I know all about Punto electrics(MagnettiMarelli ECU = rubbish), head gaskets and poor interiors but if the 1.8 Abarth is a wolf in sheeps clothing, I want one...

'cptr

Anan1 wrote:
    Didn't know such a thing existed and I can't find how much it weights but they appear to come with 125bhp unfortunately it misses out on looks - apart from the front fogs and the GTI badge it might as well have two old dears going to the bingo in it. I must have a look on Carzone and see if they exist over here in any quantity.

'c

How about a 306GTI?

• Advertisement

apart from the front fogs and the GTI badge it might as well have two old dears going to the bingo in it. I must have a look on Carzone and see if they exist over here in any quantity.

This is a good thing if you're planning on driving the balls off it. (and why else would you buy such a car!)

There is a really good sounding one on eBay Ireland at the moment:

http://http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-VW-Polo-GTi-125-Bhp-1-owner_W0QQitemZ4622844249QQcategoryZ9873QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's a bit expensive, IMO, and it's got no a/c, but it looks like a good one for all that. The guy had it advertised here a couple of weeks back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Dunno bout the alfa being more expensive to maintain - I would reckon that any work in a punto engine bay with a 1.8 would be tricky and time consuming. Clutch and belt changes could be "engine-out" jobs? Worth checking out the cost of these kinda services...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭maidhc

130bhp in a Punto sounds like fun. I'm sure selling it on wont be a massive problem, tiny market obviosuly, but now insurance is such that the kind of person who might buy that car can can afford to insure it.

Personally I wouldnt be a fan of canary yellow at all, although it doesnt look as vile on punto as it does on some other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Here's a nice VW Polo Gti for sale....looks a beauty IMO...a lot classier than that HGT....very well kitted too....Xenons,sat nav etc

• Advertisement

fletch wrote:
    Here's a nice VW Polo Gti for sale....looks a beauty IMO...a lot classier than that HGT....very well kitted too....Xenons,sat nav etc

That's the same car, except that my link doesn't work...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

How about a punto 1.4 Gt?135bhp/150 torque with lots more tuning potential than the hgt,they go for fairly cheap but the downside being they were only produced untill 95.

In saying that if you want something small light and nippy Gt starlets would probably be the weapon of choice!They go for extortionate money tho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Anan1 wrote:
    That's the same car, except that my link doesn't work...
    lol sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

eireal wrote:
    How about a punto 1.4 Gt?135bhp/150 torque with lots more tuning potential than the hgt,they

Jaysus, Turbo lag!

The HGT is far more sophisticated, drove one 6 years ago, and at the time had never driven anything as quick. Made an impression on me

Thanks for all the replies - colm mcm's 'never driven anything as quick' comment is the sort if thing I'm looking for. I'm probably not going to bother tuning it and I'm steering clear of turbos since my experiences with a Rover 800 Vitesse. I didn't even realise puntos came with 1.8 litre engines until I saw one in Borris-on-Ossory last weekend. I'll try and get a spin in one and see what happens.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

Try posting your question over on Octane.ie, theres a member there Eoin who used to own one, i'm sure he could fill you in on what you need to know/look out for.

I'd prefer a Punto JTD now!

Anan1 wrote:

He's not willing to sent it by post though

The Brits can be quare awkward sometimes.

• Advertisement

That is one of the nicest I've seen - the mileage alone is amazingly low. I'm currently selling everything I own on eBay to try and raise the money to buy something like this. I can insure it fully comp for.......477 euro. I must try and get a spin in one first though and I don't want to buy one without trying it. I wouldn't blame his decision for not posting it on being an awkward English person - where would he put the stamps?

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

An Post would still probably manage to loose it at their sorting office.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭4-age

cargrouch wrote:
    Dunno bout the alfa being more expensive to maintain - I would reckon that any work in a punto engine bay with a 1.8 would be tricky and time consuming. Clutch and belt changes could be "engine-out" jobs? Worth checking out the cost of these kinda services...

the clutch is hydraulic so no masive problems there ant the timing belt according to fiat take 3hrs and ten mins so not a gigantic job either.Big service 3hrs little on 1 and a half.seems prettyh sound.dont know if its been metioned but what about a 106 GTi 120 bhp

The 106 is tiny inside compared to the Punto, but more of a drivers car. Punto far more sophisticated.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Magown3

Have a look at this. They're 100bhp and weight nothin.

There's a good review here.
    colm_mcm wrote:
    The 106 is tiny inside compared to the Punto
    The OP actually specified something small and fast!

Magown3 wrote:
    Have a look at this. They're 100bhp and weight nothin.

Would prefer the equivelant Lupo! never liked the styling on the Arosa

Advertisement