Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Bike in Dunnes Stores - 89.95

Options
  • 26-03-2006 2:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Has anyone seen the mountain bike for sales in Dunnes Stores in 89.95?

It's dual suspension, red, 26". I've attached a picture.

I'm thinking of buying this for cycling into work.

Bargain? Or a piece of crap??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

dunnes is good for buying cheap biscuits and edible shirt/tie combos for under a tenner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Was thinking about this myself for cycling to the gym. Anyone got one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

This kind of bike would inspire you to buy a car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

OK. Any non-anoraks want to give an opinion on this?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

i wouldn't take it for free, more trouble than it's worth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

hey doleman, my mam and my gf's brother bought one. I thought at first they'd be a piece of crap, but they hold up well, and perfect for commuting. A nice solid bike, and a bloody bargain. The next best price is probably €149 in Halfords but its the exact same spec I think.

I'd say the first thing to go will be the rear derailleur (gear shifter) but I wouldn't worry too much about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

I work in blinkin Dunnes,the last time these bikes were on offer alot of them got returned to us, due to being assembled incorrectly.The main trouble lies in the pedals being fitted too the wrong crank arm or being turned the wrong way,thus stripping the treads.Just beware.They seem too be aimed towards the comfirmation and first communion age group.
    The bottom line is if you want to buy a bike go to a bike shop not dunnes stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

You pay for what you get. I remember getting my giant MTB for about €330, then my mate got a very similar looking bike for €120. I do about 9 miles a day and 2-3years on it is still ok (had to replace a back wheel). Whereas his bike was rarely used but in bits after a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'd say its heavy and a nightmare to cycle with any kind of wind against you.
    Thats just my opinion from looking at the price ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

You do realise that it is not real supppentison,its just springs that are non ajustable.A real full suss would cost over a grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

It's terrible, rotten for commuting. It will put you off cycling completely. The "suspension" will only cause you to waste all your energy by boundcing up and down and I doubt any one part of the bike is in anyway decent. If that's your budget get a second hand bike. You actually probably could not buy a worse bike than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 black purr girl

don't know about that particular bike, but heard something about cheap pre-assembled bikes malfunctioning while the unfortunate cyclist was cycling them so...

As a frequent cylcist I would advise anybody - given the potential for disaster - to pay the extra few quid and buy from a bike shop. Here you can get them to adjust saddle/peddles etc as well as give it the once over before you leave the shop.

There is an alright bike in FS general if that is your budget. Nothing special, looks in decent nick but would certainly be a better buy than one of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Don't buy it unless it's as a toy for a child. Commuting on it would be nasty. I got a bike for much less recently used. It's not a mountainbike but I don't think any of us mountainbike to work :confused: Anyway, 5o quid and it's capapble of doing as many miles as you like. I have not had any problems with it. Go used and get an old racer. Those bikes were designed for road racing, so long distances! Falling apart in the middel of a race is not much good so the probably won't for your commute. Mine isn't even a real "racer" anyway. To be honest, it's just going to be ****e as a mode of transport. Go used, and avoid suspension at all costs at this price/your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Hmmm...

Hope this isn't hijacking the OP's thread, but would you all say the same about this one from Aldi, next Thursday? €149.99, but obviously a fair bit more bike for the money — on paper. I was thinking of getting the Dunnes yoke for my kid (aged 12) and the Aldi one for my lard-assed self (aged a bit more than 12...) ;)

Still a piece of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

OK, I'll take your word for it. ;) Last bike I bought was one of those cheapo MBs, didn't get to use it for long 'cause it was robbed on me, but...

I have to admit that, for the kind of city/commuting cycling I do, an old racer (or a bog-standard road bike!) bought in good 2nd-hand nick is what I should really be looking for. Just that I'm based in Limerick and therefore outta reach of the majority of what comes up in the FS section here... :(

Even a 2nd hand MTB such as the one just recently sold over on FS general would be fine for commuting, just put a pair of slick tyres on and you would get on fine.
    Buying either that bike or the Dunnes one and using it for commuting (or anything else) for that matter will do nothing but put you off cycling as a form of transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Nah its a piece of rubbish I wouldn't touch it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

That bike in Dunnes Stores looks nasty and the one in Lidl is too ghetto fabolous.

I think if you going to be parking your bike in town then you need something more discreet/generic.

You'll find a good basic bike in BuyAndSell for around €50 - €100- €150.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

I take it all of ye who have said this bike is crap have actually used one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Pye wrote:
    I take it all of ye who have said this bike is crap have actually used one?

You don't need to use it to know it ain't going to stand up to wear and tear.
    Unless it's for a kid, I'd stay clear of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I got 4 apples for a Euro from DUnnes, thats it!

Take this baby up 3 rock and see how much of a mountain bike it is ! lmao.....

take your 80 - 100 euro to you local bike shop (best cycleinn in tallaght) and buy a good second hand banger! will serve you well!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It will get you to the local shop once a week for a few years. It is a false economy otherwise, just like a carpenter wouldnt buy a cheap drill in dunnes or tescos- fine for putting up a shelf once a year, but not for daily use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I haven't read previous posts, just my opininon -

NEVER!!! Even for free - NEVER!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

ThOnda wrote:
    I haven't read previous posts, just my opininon -

NEVER!!! Even for free - NEVER!!!

But just look at that suspension!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Madong

But just look at that suspension!

it looks like a matress spring from a dodgy lidl brand!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

JUUUNNNNNKKKKKKK........steer well clear. If you are going to get serious about commuting on a bike, you need to spend min 400, stay well away from front sus until 700, and full until about 1000. You may as well give you money away.

Cyclesuperstore all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

JUUUNNNNNKKKKKKK........steer well clear. If you are going to get serious about commuting on a bike, you need to spend min 400, stay well away from front sus until 700, and full until about 1000. You may as well give you money away.

Cyclesuperstore all the way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement