Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

script send text messages (php preferred)

Options
  • 26-03-2006 2:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm writing a script to inform me when a certain page is updated. Does anyone know of a script to send a free text to my mobile?

I tried googling this for several hours, no luck. came across something called 02sms that did it via 02.ie (250 free texts/mo) but its too messy, and i dont have full access to my server and They don't like running perl scripts on it.

So a PHP function would be great - if it exists?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 daisy25

Ive done this with PHP and using a services of www.tm4b.com. It isnt free but its cheap, 3.3 cents per SMS. Its really easy to integrate, only a few lines of code, you can get it from their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Try the sun forums too (I know it's java but might get you on the right track)

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=359492&tstart=0

this topic is really good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

roseplant wrote:
    I'm writing a script to inform me when a certain page is updated. Does anyone know of a script to send a free text to my mobile?

I tried googling this for several hours, no luck. came across something called 02sms that did it via 02.ie (250 free texts/mo) but its too messy, and i dont have full access to my server and They don't like running perl scripts on it.

So a PHP function would be great - if it exists?

Do you *need* to use SMS? If it's to prove funcationality of page update notification you could simply use email.

Or, RSS.

http://talideon.com/weblog/2006/03/ping-proxy-upgrades.cfm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

You'll have to use a service provider like Zamano or Phonovation to do it, the advantage with that is they can charge the user for recieving the message and you will either make a profit or break even.

Your going to need hardware in order to do it by yourself, how else wil the message transmitted? If you don't want to charge people the easiest way to do it would be to wrap the o2sms script in a php script.

Advertisement