Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choking cat

Options
  • 26-03-2006 9:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

My cat (miss Dynamite) almost killed herself the other day by choking on a fishbone. I thought cats were good at eating fish? Does anybody know if they are?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Are you sure it wasnt just a furball?
    They can be VERY distressing to both cat and owner (but are natural) and the cat looks for all the world like its choking to death.
    Either way tho, if you are going to give him/her fish, prolly best to give boneless, (dont give fish more than once a month tho). ;)

b

• Registered Users Posts: 14 black purr girl

They say you should never feed cats or dogs meat with small bones like fish/chicken but I have found that cats, being so much slower at eating than dogs, never choke on them. My boyfriend loves to feed my 2 cats chicken wings and they chew on them till nothing is left, no bones or meat. I have read that bones are a required part of their diet though can't remember where!

Incidentally, my cats seem to love small amounts of cheese as well as slices of smoked ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

(dont give fish more than once a month tho). ;)

What if I use Whiskas pouches and they're all fish, and I give him one everyday? Is that bad, or is it just fresh fish you're talking about?

I know this sounds like a basic question but how many times a day should I feed a 3 year old cat? once or twice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Read the instructions on the pouch Missus.

It gives guidelines..... personally I reckon about three sachets a day should be adequate...It helps to vary the brands as your cat can get bored with the same fare.....for a real treat a fresh chicken breast brings out the beast in my cat.... bollox would take yr hand off at the wrist !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

You should give your cat some grass to eat too (and not the stuff from your private stash) as they use that to clean out their insides - think it helps with the furball thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement