Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disabling Flash movies on Bebo

• 26-03-2006 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

My sisters are running up over 500mb a day on Bebo. I've exceeded my cap for the first time ever because of this. I'm putting it down to the flash movies that get downloaded every time you access a page. Anyone know of a simple way of disabling them. My setup is 3 Winxp computers connected to a linksys WRT54G wireless router. I was thinking of just putting a rule in Firefox adblock which blocks flash explicitly from Bebo. However the quick workaround is just to use internet explorer. Also, we all use seperate accounts so I would have to set this up for all of them. Has anyone got any ideas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

I found a feature for disabling websites on my WRT54g. I reckon if I disable the site www.beboframe.com that the flash depends on my problem will be sorted. However this functionality doesn't seem to be working. Anyone else tried blocking sites with their WRT54g.

Edit: Just twigged why it won't work. I've got the modem going into one of LAN socket as opposed to the internet socket. This was to allow me to forward ports to respective programs.

Ok, well i've found a nice solution. Not perfect. I would have preferred to do it through my router. I might start up a new thread to ask about that. But anyhow, if you follow this tutorial here and add beboframe.com to your hosts file it will block the flash. From what i've tested so far, you can still use Bebo for everything else just not movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Or,for a little more flexibility: FireFox and AdBlock?:)

Personally, I recommend blocking all of Bebo :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Adblock *.beboframe.* or Adblock http://beboframe.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

as karoma says Adblock *.bebo.*

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

afaik if you adblock *.bebo.* it will only get rid of the pictures and frames, it won't block the whole site :)

I mentioned adblock in my first post. Problem with adblock is it doesn't run in Internet Explorer.

qBot wrote:
    I mentioned adblock in my first post. Problem with adblock is it doesn't run in Internet Explorer.
    Well, the reasoning would be that it's worth installing FireFox+AdBlock+imported ruleset. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to set it up on 3 machines for a few user accounts. Alternatively, a 3rd party firewall may provide the option.

Adblock is brilliant. I use it myself along with Filterset.G.Updater. But it doesn't solve my problem. If i set it up to block beboframe, my sisters would just use Internet Explorer instead. I could disable internet explorer but then I wouldn't recieve my monthly security updates as connection settings for windows update are based on those for IE. As for 3rd party firewall, that would just be installing unnecessary software for a small problem. I'm happy with the solution I found however I would prefer to just use my Wireless router. But that's for a seperate thread. Thanks for the response.

I misread the thread,TBH. I confess.
    Start a new thread in Wireless if you need any help with the router config. *shrug*

• Advertisement

Karoma wrote:
    I misread the thread,TBH. I confess.

Not to worry, I was thinking afterwards that I didn't make it obvious that my sisters wouldn't respect any restrictions :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Broadband with caps.. bweheheheheheh. Erm yeah those flash thingies are annoying not even in a bandwidth sense, but in a 'OHHH HOLY JESUS WHERE DID THAT BLAST OF BLOODY MUSIC JUST COME FROM?!'

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Achilles wrote:
    annoying not even in a bandwidth sense, but in a 'OHHH HOLY JESUS WHERE DID THAT BLAST OF BLOODY MUSIC JUST COME FROM?!'
    You've hit upon one of the main disadvantages of opening links in the backgound with tabbed browsing. :p

You've hit upon one of the main disadvantages of opening links in the backgound with tabbed browsing. :p
    Yeah and Bebo seems to be coded with IE and IE only in mind. If you were using it with IE and IE alone you probably wouldn't notice it much if unless you were using multiple windows... like for instance if you load someone's profile, then load another most if not all of the time if you click comments on the first loaded profile it loads the comments page for the second profile...

Same with pictures and everything else.

It's so fecking annoying.

Tell me about. I've written comments on the wrong pages. Makes one paranoid when using Bebo.

I know, when you are browsing friends on someone's profile, and then you see a friend you want to view later, so you middle-click to send it to a tab.

You still have the focus on the page that you were viewing, but when you press next page of friends, it says something like "reached end of friendlist for yyy", as in the person you opened the tab of, is now taking over tab one, if you get what i am saying

That's what I said!

Advertisement