Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope

Options
  • 26-03-2006 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

i am looking to buy a new scope both for rabbit and target shooting out to 100yrds i have a .22lr

What are the qualities in ascope that i need or would find useful such as:

Mil-Dot
    BDC's
    what size of objective lense
    Fixed or variable mag. and at what value
    illuminated reticle if so what colour and what is the diff between red/green

it will both have to be used on the range and in the field fo a fairly rouged one is needed

price wise the upper limit is €500 but if a good one is avilible cheaper it would be nice

So your advice on functions and possiblke a modle would be helpful

With thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

probably not what your looking for my i have a 3-9x40 on my 22 wmr its made my hawke and has a mildot reticle has never lost zero and i can get less than half inch groupings at 50 yards i tried it at 150yards the other day and can get it on the target fine but maybe not the best option for percision shooting but at 100yards it should be accurate enough though

i paid €50 i think for the scope on ebay last year and i've certainly got my money's worth out of it i dont see the point in payin more for a scope than you would for the gun although i think people generally use higher magnification scopes for target shooting but if your not competing a 3-9x40 is the cheapest most versitile scope out there for a rimfire

heres a link to the website http://www.deben.com/optics/riflescopes/reflex.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

You can't go wrong with a 3x9 Leupold. They're a great optic. Look on
    e-bay for a good used one. For a budget scope I've found that Bushnell makes good glass too.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Swift scopes are the best value, got one recently, brilliant!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

scout wrote:
    i am looking to buy a new scope both for rabbit and target shooting out to 100yrds i have a .22lr

What are the qualities in ascope that i need or would find useful
    A 'jack of all trades' scope for hunting AND range work is not going to be ideal for either.
    For hunting, I'd like a scope with some sort of ranging reticle (mil-dot or ladder), lowish power range (3-9x or so), no parallax adjustment, light weight, rugged, waterproof, etc.
    For range work, I'd want much more magnification (20+), a fine crosshair reticle, external parallax adjustment (preferably on the side of the scope), external target turrets (with 1/8 MOA adjustments), provision for a sun shade, etc.

Some of these things are a matter of taste (reticle type, for example), and parallax adjustment can simply be left alone when you're out hunting, but I see the biggest hurdle being the variable power bit.
    For hunting, I'd want a scope that went down to 3-4X, but target scopes that go up to 20+ often don't go down that far.
    If you can live with a bottom end of 5-6x, you'll get scopes that go up to and beyond 20x, which might suit your purpose.
    scout wrote:
    price wise the upper limit is €500 but if a good one is avilible cheaper it would be nice
    At that price point, the world is your oxter :D

Generally speaking, more money gets you brighter, better quality optics (good for low light conditions), better build quality, lifetime warranties, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Hi Scout, i have sent you a Personall message.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

It is probably a dead heat at the top of the optics ladder with Leica, Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski, , and Zeiss. However, in rifle scopes I believe that the Leupold is very hard to beat. The Leupold scopes are very high quality optics and are highly resistant to recoil. They are not cheap, but in comparison to the Leica, S&B, Swarovski and Ziess rifle scopes they are an excellent value.

In the end you can't really go wrong with any of them.

This site will answer some of your questions.

http://www.schmidtbender.com/

Advertisement