Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Combat Sim

Options
  • 26-03-2006 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some impressive 3D Space Combat Sim (not MMORPG). The only thing that I can see suitable is Freespace 2 (especially appealing with the new Battlestar Galactica mod in development). Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Starlancer is old but good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

A bit too dated tbh, but thanks for the advice. I've found the Freespace 2 source code mods/updates and they're hard to believe considering the age of the game. I'm downloading the 1.8gb rar of all the enhancements at the moment - should be finished just after my Irish orals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

try X3 its a great game, bit buggy (its unplayable without the patchs) and a system hog too. but looks amazing and will keep u going for ages, you should get it for round the 30eur mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Phone.Book

jimi_t wrote:
    A bit too dated tbh, but thanks for the advice. I've found the Freespace 2 source code mods/updates and they're hard to believe considering the age of the game. I'm downloading the 1.8gb rar of all the enhancements at the moment - should be finished just after my Irish orals :)

Were did you find the 1.8gb rar of all the enhancements?

it's ok, I got them! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Funny you should post this, I was looking for something cinematic to play on my new tv and dug out Freelancer.

Starting again from Scratch with the Discovery Mod activated, damn what a class game this is! Should have been a sequel or expansion pack. Bucket loads of mods for it too.

Including an X2 mod that completely replaces all the Freelancer ships with X2 ships. Star Wars and Star Trek mods too.

Anyone know how it compares to Freespace which I've never played?

Holy Bat Poo! :eek:

Check out the Battlestar Galactica mod thats coming out for Freespace 2

You can download a whole bunch of videos from here!
    http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1839

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Stop right there, lad. Get Wing Commander Prophecy ASAP - not only has it got a great B-movie plot with video sequences, it's got Mark Hamill in it! And it's easily the best WC in terms of gameplay. I've lost count of the amount of times I've played through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

You gotta try Freelancer. Lovely to look at, big universe and an superb user interface. The space combat is not as good as it could be unfortunately mainly because the npc AI is lousy. Nevertheless the campaign will keep you entertained for a while.

And of course theres always EVE. I know you aren't looking for an online game but if you have even a teeny weeny bit of Space Nerd in you then EVE will blow you away. There is even a 14 day free trial.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

when i saw this thread all i could think of was good old freespace 1 & 2.
    still some of my fave games of all time

• Advertisement

Trying to find out if the open version of freespace 2 supports Widescreen resolutions?? Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I pay freespace 2 about once a year...what a cracking game the only reason to own a joystick (cough cough) This has really dated well espically if you turn FSAA and AF up high. A must have in everyones collection.

Trying to find out if the open version of freespace 2 supports Widescreen resolutions?? Anyone know?

Yip it does! :)

res2.JPG

Currently playing FreeLancer on my Widescreen TV that I just got. Shame its only in 1024x768

Looks like a download of Freespace is in order for some 1366x768 lovelyness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

X Wing Vs Tie Fighter is probably still the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Aside from what's been mentioned, these space combat sims are really good.
    • X-Wing Alliance - last lucasarts space combat sim :(
    • Tie Fighter - an old classic
    • Allegiance - multiplayer, played it a bit a while ago
    • Star Trek Bridge Commander - tons of mods
    Freespace and Freelancer are great too, probably the best ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

You might also try Nexus:The Jupiter Incident. The demo put me off (it was fantastic looking but the demo just threw you into a fleet on fleet battle with no concept of what any of the buttons did and left you to sink or swim - frustrating) until I saw it for 15 quid. Euro for euro the best gaming value for money Ive got in a while. When equipped with a proper tutorial/manual/learning curve the game is actually accessible and becomes a lot of fun.

Its not a Freespace derivative, but its certainly a damn good space combat sim.

Advertisement