Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rss feed that can read in a .php file?

Options
  • 26-03-2006 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

hi guys, is there anyway that a rss feed can be received from a .php file? I have a script which can generate a xml page from the contents of a mysql db using php, the only problem is that the page ends with .php instead of .xml.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭cognos

It ending in .php shouldnt be a problem. I have RSS feeds generated by ASP and have a .asp extension but still behave exactly like a .xml file.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

cool, all i need now so is a script that can read in and display the rss....any helpfull boarders have any links to such code ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

magpie rss can't create a rss feed from a file which ends in .php as far as i know. I tried it earlier today

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

i also had a similar problem with some readers not reading *.asp.
    however, its easy to create and write to a .rss file

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Try changing your content type:[PHP]header("Content-type: text/xml");[/PHP]

Yes I know it should be "application/rss+xml" but Mozilla has issues with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Yes I know it should be "application/rss+xml" but Mozilla has issues with this.
    They never did register application/rss+xml, so it should be application/rdf+xml for RSS1.0 or RSS0.9 and application/xml or text/xml for RSS0.9x and RSS2.0

It could still be that whatever the OP is using to read the RSS really does have an issue with the .php (yes, I know there's no such think as file extensions on the web, but the person who wrote the parser may not know that). Sometimes when something like that happens they can be fooled with ?kludge=.xml (or &kludge=.xml if there's already a query portion of the URI) at the end, other times you'd have to change the script to end with .xml and associate .xml with the php engine on the webserver.

Advertisement