Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator issues.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 s9841121

hm, threats and insults from some more moderators. Its pretty clear this site is ran by some very immature young men. I tried to raise some issues in a polite manner but get told to stfu and threatened to boot.

I sure as hell dont want my email posted online, even if it is just one used for the likes of this forum, thank you "gordon". A threat like that is a bit too much.

I keep my details very private online. If you or mr dont, thats your business. Complaining about somebody mentioning something you have yourself (never mind somebody else) put in the public domain is rediculous.

As for "Karl Hungus's" input, I guess i'll stfu then. Talk about worthless input. Clearly a great moderator. You calling me a "noob", is farcical at best.

What ye do not seem to grasp is that I admit I was wrong. I have no problem with admitting that.

However, the manner I was dealt with is what I am complaining about. It takes the same effort to ask me to remedy the situation than to ban me, lock the thread and pm me. So the busy mod, being so busy and not having time doesnt hold water. I have been a forum admin is days gone by, I know what its like. But I am being stonewalled and to top it off, have even been threatened by a moderator and told stfu by another on this one so there is no point continuing.

Secondly, the no-pm rule (which is the root cause) is relatively redundant, because you must put the price of the item for sale up at first posting and the charter states there is no issue with mentioning when a price seems wrong. Im sure if i put a 486 up for 800 euro, that *plenty* people would comment. The charter already clearly states that it is the buyers responsibility to ensure a decent price by comparing to prices elsewhere online. But seemingly people here do not understand or more likely, are not willing to listen to this.

Those are my points; feel free to blast them as much as you wish but if you look at them with a level head you may actually see some sense in them.

I'd rather not stay around, any polite effort here seems to fall on deaf ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

s9841121 wrote:
    hm, threats and insults from some more moderators. Its pretty clear this site is ran by some very immature young men.
    Err... no. Not all opinions are from immature young men. Have a look at my profile.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Another function of the "No PM" rule, is because a PM, depending on user settings, will be the first thing a user sees when logging into boards.

For starters, we have no way of verifying what time that PM went through at, secondly, we have no idea what price was offered; therefore any other offers cannot be accurately measured in relation to the "highest offer" or "first to offer guide price" conditions.

This prevents hassle for honest people on all sides, those offering and those accepting. There should be no qualm with this rule, the "large dispute" you cite, is only supported by a small number of users, and even if more users objected, it still wouldn't change the fact that we would be crippled in our ability to moderate the forum if there were no rule enforcing all dealing on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Those are my points; feel free to blast them as much as you wish but if you look at them with a level head you may actually see some sense in them.

I'd rather not stay around, any polite effort here seems to fall on deaf ears.

Deaf ears, I know what you mean. I've taken the time to read your posts and address your points, as have others, but you seem intent on ignoring them and bang on about how you've been oppressed. It's so surprise to me people are being short with you at this stage - you're not the first person to throw their toys out of the pram after being adominished for breaking the rules, and you wont be the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

On OcUK you have to have 250 quality posts (no spamming) before you are allowed into the for sale forums. You can't comment at all, only bid. Everytime you enter the forums you are warned about main rules, any transgressions its an immediate 2 week ban.

Why because FS forums are a PIA everywhere because people don't read AND don't abide by the rules.

Basically the mods have no patience for newbies. Can't say I agree with there approach but I don't have a problem with it either. Most of the drivel posts on FS are from newbies. Its not a newbie kindergarden.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

On OcUK you have to have 250 quality posts (no spamming) before you are allowed into the for sale forums. You can't comment at all, only bid. Everytime you enter the forums you are warned about main rules, any transgressions its an immediate 2 week ban.

Why because FS forums are a PIA everywhere because people don't read AND don't abide by the rules.

Basically the mods have no patience for newbies. Can't say I agree with there approach but I don't have a problem with it either. Most of the drivel posts on FS are from newbies. Its not a newbie kindergarden.
    I've suggested this several times over, but it is repeatedly pointed out to me that we don't do the discrimination on postcount deal... and that Beruthiel wouldn't be here had there been a posting limit on the FS forum.

....which is why I also want this restriction backdated so that Beruthiel never signs up emot-v.gif

LOL

OcUK is a commercial site, and the forum support that business. So there reasoning is a little different. But the format as is on boards is messy. Another approach is along the lines of freecycle. You just post and ad, contact details and nothing further. Everything else happens off list. No moderation required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I've not bothred posting nor have I bothered to read most of this thread, but I'll comment regardless. And then I shall post the full pm conversation I had with the OP so that everyone can see what a hypocrite and a chancer that (s)he is.

First of all, you complained about being banned, then freely admitted to not reading the rules. Then complained further, whilst stating that you were very forum-literate having frequented a number of other boards, and indeed taking the time to find out my personal information before trying to use it to un-nerve me in some way whilst calling me a nazi.

You have no moral high-ground what-so-f*cking-ever to complain from. That you know how forums work, refused to read the rules, got banned, then threw abuse at the moderator in question and STILL refused to recognise the rules only highlights the fact that the rules are there to keep people like YOU from ripping off other users.

I've re-ordered the pms to read from first to last and removed the duplicate posting, but other than that, the content is exactly as received and in order.

(PM's in next post)

Answer a crime with a crime? go you... spanner.

A bit out of order really, isn't it? Seeing as he didn't actually go posting personal details about and all.

...spanner! :)

• Advertisement

PM Number.1
    s9841121 wrote:
    Lemming wrote:
    You've been banned for two weeks for engaging in off-thread dealing in the Enterprise-class Sun/HP-UX hardware thread.

Please read the Charter/Rules before you consider posting again.

In this case do your job properly. "Esel" quoted the rules, in violation of the text I have copied and pasted below. Please ban this individual.

"# DO NOT under any circumstance quote the rules. Don't even reply to a post saying that person is breaking the rules and can expect a ban. Anyone found doing this will be banned. Use the "Report This to A Moderator" feature instead. "

PM Number.2
    s9841121 wrote:
    Lemming wrote:
    First of all, do not quote the rules to me. Second of all, do not presume to tell me how to do my "job". Esel has been dealt with already.

heil,
    sure thing, your the boss.
    keep up the good work....

PM Number.3
    s9841121 wrote:
    Lemming wrote:
    And with that "heil" remark, I wont be terribly pushed to lift what is a rather short ban any time soon.

what did you really expect? A warning would have been a little more fair. Or a request to post the pm's on the forum, which I would have had no problem with.

I guess I should take the advice from your signature in this case, but all the same, do you seriously think more than a very low percentage of posters read those rules? I sure as hell didnt. Im sure you can see from my statistics im not a big forum poster.

So, the heil remark is more than well placed. When some 27 year old student from tallaghtfornia IT goes on a power trip and bans an honest user without warning, I would call it nazi behaviour. I had zero bad intentions - i just have some old hardware i dont need. The prices I have up are *very* good for what im selling. My only mistake was not reading the rules.

So sure, feel free to uphold the ban as long as you like. Hopefully it will help you sleep better at night. I'll just sign up with another username or go elsewhere, where the forum admin has the decency to at least let the user know when he is at fault, and give him a chance to rectify it.

My only suggestion to boards.ie would be to put some level-minded, fair and *mature* people in place as moderators. You clearly do not fit this description.

PM Number.4
    s9841121 wrote:
    lemming wrote:
    s9841121 wrote:
    what did you really expect? A warning would have been a little more fair. Or a request to post the pm's on the forum, which I would have had no problem with.

Given the number of thread-spoiling reports we have received of late, I am in no mood to warn. Bannings will warn everyone else. If this werent' teh case, you'd have received a warning.

I guess I should take the advice from your signature in this case, but all the same, do you seriously think more than a very low percentage of posters read those rules? I sure as hell didnt. Im sure you can see from my statistics im not a big forum poster.
    lemming wrote:
    Poor argument. "Oh I'm sorry your honour, I didn't know there was a law against that" wont get you very far in a court of law, so why should you expect it to get you far elsewhere? The rules are there for a very good reason. They weren't dreamt up overnight either. And they work. The fact that yuo haven't bothered to acquaint yourself with them is not my, nor boards.ie's problem.

So, the heil remark is more than well placed. When some 27 year old student from tallaghtfornia IT goes on a power trip and bans an honest user without warning, I would call it nazi behaviour. I had zero bad intentions - i just have some old hardware i dont need. The prices I have up are *very* good for what im selling. My only mistake was not reading the rules.
    lemming wrote:
    You've never heard of Godwins law then obviously. I'll educate you. Do a google. Now, what bearing does my age have on this? What bearing does where I study have on this? None. You are simply being obnoxious and I shall be done with you at this point. The rest of your "case" has been dealt with in my previous paragraph.

Oh, and on the note of even-minded, fair, etc, you might be courteous enough to tell me who you are. And stop with the innuendo and rhetoric.

Indeed, that argument may not work in a court of law. You cannot plead ignorance in Ireland, but for minor offences judges often let the offender off with a warning. This decision depends on the case, and also on the maturity and wisdom of the judge.

As a moderator it is your job to *moderate*, and help, educate people. ie: Try to *resolve* issues. I have been a forum moderator in years gone by and I always made my best effort to keep people happy and give them a chance.

I have never heard of godwins law, not that I see it as having any relevance. Ive been using newgroups for many years, and i have never heard of it. In fact I believe this is the first time I have ever made that comparison, and it is highly apt in this case.

I do not see what relevance my identity has in *any* way. If you are silly enough to place vast amounts of personal information in the public domain, well, that is your perogative. If you really need a name to sooth your mind, try Brian Smith. Or pippy longstocking.

Innuendo.... ok ... Heres my viewpoint, in plain english, since you are having trouble reading between the lines:

I tried to sell some kit on boards.ie, and in doing so broke boards.ie's rules. I did not initiate this breaking of the rules. However i unknowingly broke them when i responded to an interested chaps questions.

Next thing I know, im banned without warning. Does it not seem more reasonable to ask me to put the pm's on the posting? would it have been so much harder? It would have saved any hassle and kept some of boards.ie's users a lot happier, for the same effort.

So now, im barred for 2 weeks. I could just as easily sign up under another name and rotate my IP address, but im pissed off that some student brat on a power trip decided it was a wiser option to ban me.

Your decision, whether you like it or not has annoyed 2 otherwise happy users. You may stand by that decision, but a decision that causes annoyance and hassle which was *fully* avoidable with the same amount of effort is, more than likely, a bad decision.

I want my ban lifted, in which case I will have no issue apologising for the violation. It should be very clear at this point that I am fully aware of the rules.

PM Number.5 (which was one sent by me since PM number six does not quote it)
    Lemming wrote:
    s9841121 wrote:
    As a moderator it is your job to *moderate*, and help, educate people. ie: Try to *resolve* issues. I have been a forum moderator in years gone by and I always made my best effort to keep people happy and give them a chance.

I have never heard of godwins law, not that I see it as having any relevance. Ive been using newgroups for many years, and i have never heard of it. In fact I believe this is the first time I have ever made that comparison, and it is highly apt in this case.

I do not see what relevance my identity has in *any* way. If you are silly enough to place vast amounts of personal information in the public domain, well, that is your perogative. If you really need a name to sooth your mind, try Brian Smith. Or pippy longstocking.

Innuendo.... ok ... Heres my viewpoint, in plain english, since you are having trouble reading between the lines:

I tried to sell some kit on boards.ie, and in doing so broke boards.ie's rules. I did not initiate this breaking of the rules. However i unknowingly broke them when i responded to an interested chaps questions.

Next thing I know, im banned without warning. Does it not seem more reasonable to ask me to put the pm's on the posting? would it have been so much harder? It would have saved any hassle and kept some of boards.ie's users a lot happier, for the same effort.

So now, im barred for 2 weeks. I could just as easily sign up under another name and rotate my IP address, but im pissed off that some student brat on a power trip decided it was a wiser option to ban me.

Your decision, whether you like it or not has annoyed 2 otherwise happy users. You may stand by that decision, but a decision that causes annoyance and hassle which was *fully* avoidable with the same amount of effort is, more than likely, a bad decision.

I want my ban lifted, in which case I will have no issue apologising for the violation. It should be very clear at this point that I am fully aware of the rules.

I had actually started writing a reply to this but then I remembered your nazi remark. Take it to feedback if you wish to complain.

PM Number.6
    s9841121 wrote:
    well the easiest way past your hiding your ineptitude behind godwins law is to start a new thread...

Asking me to post the pm's in the forum would have been the same effort and saved any hassle *and* kept some of the forums users a lot happier. As a moderator, why did you not do this? Power tripping perhaps?

Dont you think it would have been a wiser decision, in light of all the advantages it would have had? (ie: keeping 2 users happy, saving any aggro, and educating them to boot?)

And last question: Does this not make you a bad moderator, at best?

I repeat, I want my ban lifted, in which case I will have no issue apologising for the violation. It should be very clear at this point that I am fully aware of the rules.

I repeat, I want my ban lifted, in which case I will have no issue apologising for the violation.

****, he has us over a barrel now. If you don't lift the ban, he's not going to apologise!

Did he? What was the threat? He'd post up the email address if...? It appeared to me to be a rhetorical question so that the OP might consider his actions in the future. I guess it could be read differently, depending on the the size of the chip you have on you shoulder.

Is it possible to turn on permanent ignore for everyone for a specific user? That would be more fun than banning.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Is it possible to turn on permanent ignore for everyone for a specific user? That would be more fun than banning.

Yeah, it's called: Tachy Goes to Coventry.
    "This option allows you to effectively add a user, or users to every member's 'Ignore List'. However, users in this list can still see their own posts and threads..."

It is still a threat. Lets not debate the term "threat" versus "DiD"

No, lets not, because our definitions of a "threat" are pretty different, I guess.
    I should have killed you in CS when I had the chance.

I've no idea what you mean by that, at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

It's clear s9841121 is much happier with all the other forums on the Internet. I'm happy to oblige.

Merc, it was clearly not a threat, but indeed pointing out that his actions would not generally be considered acceptable by analogy to a similar action that could be done.

Now, you're a bit thick, but I don't think you're that thick, so this was trolling.

Please don't troll feedback, I prefer not to ban people from this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

see below

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Ill do it :D

newiconoclast_cal_cree_rain_jesus_wept_copy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

What a spectacular cretin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Talliesin wrote:
    It's clear s9841121 is much happier with all the other forums on the Internet. I'm happy to oblige.

Good show. I just felt the average IQ go up.

One thing I don't understand ..... where di s98what'sitsname get my surname from since my website mentions nothing of the sort other than my firstname. Interesting .....

So I am requesting the admins to remove the references to my name in s98what'sitsname's posts in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

All references removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

theat s98blahblah was a right looney tune, he really had it in for you lemming.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

check your Projects Lemming

check your Projects Lemming

Ah, yes ..... still, moot point regardless. The use of my name as opposed to username was a deliberate attempt to try and un-nerve me. All it's done is quite the opposite. s98what'sitsname is nothing short of a cvnt and I am in no hurry to lift what was a very trivial (albeit deserved ban)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Lemming wrote:
    The use of my name as opposed to username was a deliberate attempt to try and un-nerve me.
    Yes, I read it as such too. I've found it funny when people have tried to use the same tactic on me (OMG! They read my Wiki entry and/or my own website! They have the l33t detective skillz! I'd better not mess with them) but intent counts for a lot to my mind.
    Lemming wrote:
    I am in no hurry to lift what was a very trivial (albeit deserved ban)
    Moot now. They're gone.

Advertisement