Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathmines area - what's the best option?

• 26-03-2006 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

Ok, so want to get proper broadband with proper speeds,

currently have IBB ripwave which is somewhere around 300kbps at most last time I checked

I wouldn't be downloading huge amounts, just e-mail and surfing and some instant messaging, my flat mate plans to use it for skype to talk to his girlfriend overseas a lot so not sure how that would affect download and upload maximum allowances etc

Smart does not seem to be currently available in the area but is on the list for development this year according to their website

NTL may not be the best option because we currently have ntl analogue TV and don't seem to be receiving bills for this, and we're happy enough with that, but would consider it if it is the best option

so maybe Eircom is the most likely and this package

From their web site:

Check out our great NEW eircom broadband home starter offer
    FREE Netopia wi-fi router. Normaly €98.99 (inc VAT).
    FREE eircom broadband guardian.
    Once-off connection fee: €29.99 (inc. VAT). FREE when you order online.
    Monthly subscription: €29.99 (inc VAT).

eircom broadband home starter also gives you
    Monthly downstream / upstream speeds: 1MB downstream and 128k upstream.*
    Monthly megabyte allowance: 10 GB download / 1 GB upload.
    Technical support number: 1890 260 260.**
    Always on connection: delivers super fast speeds and the ability to work online without disruption.
    Make and take telephone calls while online.

Monthly rental: 29.99 (including VAT)

any suggestions would be welcome..............

I looked at the comparison thread on page 4 there and these seem to be the most likely options unless I'm missing something

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ergo

cool, will discuss with the flat-mates

I too live not far from the new Centra but am staying loyal to Londis for the moment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

BT offer the exact same connection as the above eircoms for €10 less.

There an ongoing protest against Bt by a couple of people on boards due to how they have been treated by BT's billing but its worked fine for me.

On the other hand if you prefer to pay €10-€15 a month extra for the "known and trusted eircom" then be my guest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

I'm on the Rathmines exchange. I've been with BT for the past 6 months and wile it took them 8 weeks to connect me I've had no major problems with their service. In-fact I'd recomend them to anyone. Unfortunately like a lot of ISP and telcos their billing and customer service is a load of shíte.

Advertisement