Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cordless drill

Options
  • 26-03-2006 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I have to purchase a cordless drill!ideally i would like to buy a dwalt 18v but there a bit expensive.I would need a good hard wearing one that will do some heavy duty work.Has any one any make that they would recommend?Or know a shop that has a good sellection of them. Any info would be appriacted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

I would have to say Mc Quillans on Capel Street the lads in there are sound and know what they are talking about give them your requirements and they will recommend you a good drill. Do you need hammer action?
    Goughs is also a good shop just off Capel Street but Mc Quillans defo have the best prices contrary to some peoples opinion.
    I personally like De Walt never let me down, check out Panasonic, Makita Hitachi Ryobi are also good and are competitively priced. You definately get what you pay for with a screw gun but it also comes down to what feels comfortable in your hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 muckalee

thanks for your advice O-Ninio!I should have mentioned im in waterford!Ill keep an eye out for those makes doh!thanks again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

If you are doing some seriously heavy duty work , then De walt is the only cordless.

I have used almost every drill available for fitting solid staircases, and the only one that met the challenge was De walt's 18v. I could drive 6 x 100 screws all day long , and it never let me down. 50 stairs , oak, teak, pine, mdf in 2 1/2 years , no problems.

kadman:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

If you find the 18v a bit expebnsive check out the 14.4 volt, my 14.4 v DeWalt is almost 4 years old now and has survived a few high falls and bounced down stairs etc. and has worked week in week out, still works as well as new. Drilling and driving capacities are less than 18v but it is also lighter wieght so is nicer to hold. Dw also do heavy duty versions which have a larger diameter chuck capacity and better batteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

The best places in Waterford for powertools would be Morris on the Cork Rd John Hearn on the Quay also does power tools I think he does Hitachi. As previous respondants stated DeWalt is the probably the best codeless to deal with heavy duty DIY however there pricey. You could also try Rowe's in Comer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 muckalee

where is rowes in comer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I'm suprised that nobody mentioned Bosch. You should have a look at these. I've got a 24 and an 18 and really like them
    I had a look at the cordless dewalt and was not impressed, especially with the amount of play in the chuck
    B&Q do dewalt and last time I checked they were cheaper than mcQuillans

Advertisement