Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

timber frame / traditional

Options
  • 26-03-2006 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭

I am considering building a house and just have a simple question.
    Is it cheaper to build a timber frame house?
    To build a standard 3 bedhouse house on my land im looking at 125,000 / 150,000 euro.
    how would the price compare if i built a timber framed 3 bed house on the same land?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭sexy darren

it is cheaper don't no the execked price but it is cheaper make sure its well insulated and soundproofing between the floors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭sexy darren

it will be done a lot quicker as well

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

I am in the process of building - Timber Frame was 25k more expensive to build than the block build I went with (house is 2700 sq ft, Garage 1200 sq ft).

Did a lot of research and primary difference is insulation, however I checked the latest building standards and there have been changes for block built houses to increase insulation and reduce heat loss. I made sure my builder was meeting these requirements and then spent some of the savings on increasing the insulation spec (thanks to advice on here).

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Get your plans drawn showing the blocks and mortar and then get a couple of prices from local contactors.

After that send your plan off to a couple of the firms supplying the timber framed construction and get a price of them. They can quote from any type of plan.

Your architect/engineer should be able to advise also.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

As Muffler says, it all depends on your house design, if you have a "standard" house then you should probably come in a bit cheaper, but if you start adding in different roofs or even dormer windows then the price will increase as the roof design becomes more complicated and also the load bearing will have to taking into account

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

For our standard bungalow, highest timber frame quote came in 25 grand (if I remember correctly) lower than the cheapest block built. Certainly went up quickly, which was an issue for us living with the in laws! :)

Advertisement